• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Upgrade from Sennheiser HD598

jt01

Well-Known Member
I have had Sennheiser HD598 headphones for several years and like them - good sound and comfortable enough. But I'd like to get opinions on what phones under $1000 would be a significant upgrade. Thanks in advance for all replies.
 
Register to hide this ad
Try a planar. HiFiMan Sundara or Ananda.

I have three pair of Sennheiser (6xx, 598SE, Momentum) and the Sundara was a definite improvement in detail retrieval.

Just my opinion.
 
I owned the Sennheiser HD598 ... for a good many years now. Looks like the ones pictured below. Not sure if that's the version you have.

I like to own multiple sets of cans for different sonic profiles (house sound) for numerous types of music/Albums I like.

e3301c32-983a-441b-a0ba-3fbda5f8b718.jpg._CB485973513__SR300,300_.jpg


Could try some options from Drop (formerly Massdrop)

I bought the Sennheiser 58X Jubilee & the HiFiMan HE-4X Planar Magnetic from Drop.

I thought the 58X was an upgrade over the HD598 to my ears on my headphone rig ..
HE-4X is only a $129 and good way to test & see if you'll like HiFiMan PM on your rig.
 
Last edited:
A second on the Sundara.

Got mine in November, listen almost daily and they never fail to impress.

They do take a while to "burn in", they start off good and about 200 hours later they become great.
 
I'd recommend the Sundara's also. I have AKG 702's and Sennheiser HD 6XX's too but the Sundara's are my favorite.
 
I also had a Sennheiser 6xx for a while, but preferred the 598s so sold the 6xx. To my ears, the 6xx seemed a little muddy and the bass was better with the 598s, I have decided to give the Hifiman Edition XS a try and will reply with impressions after they arrive next week. Does anyone know if the Edition XS has a burn-in period, as has been mentioned for the Sundara? Thanks again for the replies.
 
If the Hifiman headphones don’t do it for you, you might want to look at what Focal offers.
 
Last edited:
Every set of headphones and earbuds I have owned tended to sound better after some break in period. Some took only a few hours while the Sundara's seemed to take the longest. A trick I used was to hook them up, start streaming some music and stuff them in a drarwer and let them play.
I'm not a big believer in "burn in" for SS components but speakers / headphones are mechanical devices and the suspension / surrounds will loosen up after some use; Tubes always sound better with age.
 
I also had a Sennheiser 6xx for a while, but preferred the 598s so sold the 6xx. To my ears, the 6xx seemed a little muddy and the bass was better with the 598s, I have decided to give the Hifiman Edition XS a try and will reply with impressions after they arrive next week. Does anyone know if the Edition XS has a burn-in period, as has been mentioned for the Sundara? Thanks again for the replies.

Sundaras available "open box" for $299 right now direct from HiFiMan.

FWIW, I bought mine as open box and they looked like they were brand new.
 
A quick question - does anyone have an opinion on whether the sound of the Hifiman planar headphones resembles the sound of Magneplanar speakers? As they are both planar, I thought there might be a resemblance. I bought a pair of Magneplanar MG1s in 1980 when I was in a basement apartment. I was able to set them up per the Magneplanar instructions and they sounded fabulous - great handling of voice and acoustic instruments. But I moved a few months later and never again had the space to set them up properly - sold them when I moved into my current home in 1990. If the Hifiman phones have any of the Magneplanar magic, I'd be quite happy !
 
It's really difficult to compare headphones to 6' tall speakers, or any speaker for that matter. Speakers have the advantage / disadvantage of the environment they are in, reflective surfaces, various nodes and other room interactions.

I have owned MG1's and MGIIIa's and enjoyed their open midrange and clear top end, always a very open / spacious presentation; I could listen for hours and never feel fatigued. That being said, and based on my own experiences and that of many of the reviews I have read, the Sundara's do offer a very similar sonic experience. I listen to them for hours and enjoy every minute.
 
HD599 might offer an improvement on clarity and bass extension.
In my opinion, if you actually enjoyed the sound of these cans, you might find it hard to migrate to something else.

Going the HD600 variant route might seem as a logical step, but it is not that easy...
I made that move and ended up keeping my HD600 for collection reasons, in their box.
Can't compete to the HD599 for my ears, music preferences and equipment.
Soundstage and overall depth is missing and they are tuned differently EQ wise.

Then I tried the another 'logical step' getting the HD560S.
The enclosure shape is the same as the HD599, so I was pretty sure they wouldn't suffer from a collapsed soundstage like the HD600.

I was right about soundstage, but ...sound signature was way off.
It was bossted in the mid to higher octaves. Cold and lifeless. Some people like it, some not.
Whatever I did (cable mods, adding foam insulation and patches to the enclosure and applying heavy EQ) could not ameliorate its shortcomings.
The drivers used are much different. One final mod I have planned is to change those damned drivers and using the drivers of the HD599.
Just to see what a proper driver would sound in their enclosure.

So, my advice would be to get a pair of the HD599 (they are really good value at the moment) and look to spend your money in a headphone amplifier.
You can also upgrade the performance of the HD599 by cable modiing them.

Have fun and if you try any other cans, report back with your experience.
I would like to hear it from someone who can compare it to the HD598.
 
Last edited:
Didn’t have the 598 but the predecessor the 595. I like another poster I found the 58x from massdrop a nice upgrade. I also have a pair of Audeze LCD2 (fazor) that were an upgrade when using an amp. However, my favorite headphone is the Sen. HD518 which was a cheap can and totally colored. I guess it just depends on what signature you are looking for. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom