• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Upgrade from Yamaha AS-501 for Klipsch Fortes.

nealmd

New Member
Hi all,

I'm currently running the Yahama AS-501 with original Klipsch Fortes and I'm looking to take a step up-- preferably away from class D and into AB. Looking for something with slightly smoother, warmer sound without losing clarity. Happy to do it via vintage or new, separates, integrated or receiver, but would like to keep it under 1500 US dollars. Anyone running Fortes with something they love? Or just have an amp/preamp you want to go on about?

I mostly listen to vinyl on this system, so an internal DAC is not necessary, and would happily buy separately.
 
Register to hide this ad
When I owned Forte II and Heresy speakers, I found Yamahas were a big No-No sound wise and they much preferred a Sansui or Carver amp. A Jolida tube integrated may also provide the bliss you are seeking. Of course Mac would be a good match as well.
 
My favorite pairing with Klipsch is either a Cap Coupled SS amp or a Push-Pull or SE tube amp. I use all three, and like them all. You’re budget will yield some nice choices.
 
Interesting. I can't find specs on it, I just assumed something packed with features for $500 would be class D.

I see Dave has pretty well confirmed it, but without looking at the schematic, pictures of interior strongly suggests not a switching amp. Way too much heat sink for the power rating to be switching/Class D outputs.
 
When I owned Forte II and Heresy speakers, I found Yamahas were a big No-No sound wise and they much preferred a Sansui or Carver amp. A Jolida tube integrated may also provide the bliss you are seeking. Of course Mac would be a good match as well.

Was thinking the same thing. Yammie is too fast for efficient speakers.
 
Look into the schiit aegir. Excellent amp for klipsch speakers. I would pair it with the freya S.
I think it would put you at 1,400. Total.
 
I don't currently have Fortes but always looking to add them back into the stable. A PrimaLuna integrated would make those sing! New they are $1799 but you can find low hour used within your budget.
 
I don't currently have Fortes but always looking to add them back into the stable. A PrimaLuna integrated would make those sing! New they are $1799 but you can find low hour used within your budget.

Roger, do you have a primaluna? I've heard great things but don't know anyone who uses them.
 
Roger, do you have a primaluna? I've heard great things but don't know anyone who uses them.

I do not but I have heard them with Chorus. Like they were made for each other. My NS-1000s are not as efficient as your Forte's. I think I would need the mono blocks. You could do just fine with the integrated.
 
Back
Top Bottom