• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Upgrading from beginner TT; Technics SL-23, Dual 503, or Sansui FR 1080

tongrd

New Member
Just got my beginner set up with a Sanyo TP 1005, receiver and speakers a few weeks back and loving it. I couldn't find much info on the Sanyo table but it seems to do the job well for a beginner. Just comparing specs, the Sanyo table is a 1980 belt drive, signal-noise 60db, wow&flutter 0.05% (I know gotta listen to it to compare!)

I've been keeping an eye out for 2nd hand tables, got my eye on a few at the moment. Thoughts on these?
  • Technics SL-23: $100. I like the look of this table, lots of positive reviews as well. Specs are pretty similar to the Sanyo but its 2kg heavier, made 1978, construction looks much better
  • Sansui FR 1080: $120. Again like the look of it, specs actually not as good as the Sanyo. Wow & flutter 0.08%, signal-noise 50dB. But it looks cool!
  • Dual CS 503-2: $150. Specs are better than the Sanyo and Technics
Should I upgrade my TT or hold out for a bigger step up?
 
Register to hide this ad
Budget is always a determining factor. The rabbit hole can get very deep, it seems you caught the bug, enjoy what you have for a while then maybe a cartridge upgrade. But if wallet drainage is a must then maybe have a look at some offerings from Kenwood and Thorens, the Kennys were in the $350 range, the Thorens about $100 less.

8419efc8a87aaeba60bb073c6336e7fe.jpg
kenwood kd500 top.JPG
maxresdefault (6).jpg
 
Last edited:
If you're looking to upgrade, don't go from one entry-level turntable to another, it's unlikely that you'll hear a difference, even if the specs are slightly different.

What kind of cartridge does it have?
 
Just got my beginner set up with a Sanyo TP 1005, receiver and speakers a few weeks back and loving it. I couldn't find much info on the Sanyo table but it seems to do the job well for a beginner. Just comparing specs, the Sanyo table is a 1980 belt drive, signal-noise 60db, wow&flutter 0.05% (I know gotta listen to it to compare!)

I've been keeping an eye out for 2nd hand tables, got my eye on a few at the moment. Thoughts on these?
  • Technics SL-23: $100. I like the look of this table, lots of positive reviews as well. Specs are pretty similar to the Sanyo but its 2kg heavier, made 1978, construction looks much better
  • Sansui FR 1080: $120. Again like the look of it, specs actually not as good as the Sanyo. Wow & flutter 0.08%, signal-noise 50dB. But it looks cool!
  • Dual CS 503-2: $150. Specs are better than the Sanyo and Technics
Should I upgrade my TT or hold out for a bigger step up?

Hold out. In the meanwhile, you can probably get a significant performance improvement with a better cartridge/stylus...and spend quite a bit less than the $$ necessary to move up to a definitively better table.

None of the ones you are considering will provide much in the way of improved performance. vs your Sanyo, assuming it is mechanically sound and operating properly.
 
Last edited:
From the three, my vote would be the Dual, with maybe Technics as a runner up. All three crafts are high quality, however. Make sure thatyou get an A+ example in quality.
 
Back
Top Bottom