• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Upgrading GT-2000 and BL-91

GT or BL in the end of Upgrade

  • GT-2000 + Saec 407 or 308

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other TT

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    2

Anton Eisen

New Member
Hi gents! I'm new on this forum and may I introduce my experience before the topic will start!
I had a lot of exp with Japan TTs, TapeDecks, CDs, LDs, but never made any upgrades.
So I had:
Pioneer
PL-70
PL-50
PL-30

Denon
DP-59

Yamaha
YP-D9,
YP-D10,
GT-750,
PS-1,
GT-2000,

Micro Seiki
BL-51
BL-91
BL-99
BL-101
Have never used BL 111
also
DD-5

I had much more but a lot of the tables were without tonearms. So after lots of sellings and services I decided to leave 2 TTs. it was 2 years ago. The BL-91 cause it is classics and GT-2000 cause it is big and valuable. so the BL-91 is valuable too but it need more time to be sold!
And now I want to leave only one. But I decided to upgrade it! To use FR or Saec arms, and to use Bronze heavy disc.
In stock the BL is better but maybe someone knows what will I get in the end of upgrading?
I don't plan to use the heavy stand base for GT YAB-1

Sorry for my Eng. It is not my native language)
 
Register to hide this ad
Which one do you prefer and which do you think would respond best to the available upgrade path? That would be my consideration if faced with the same decision.
 
Thank you for reply. I was thinking about the choice for 1 year. I know all the differences of the stock sound of this TTs but really cant make a choice! Maybe my question it is a signal that I'm tired)))) who knows.
 
Thank you for reply. I was thinking about the choice for 1 year. I know all the differences of the stock sound of this TTs but really cant make a choice! Maybe my question it is a signal that I'm tired)))) who knows.
Sell the turntable that you will regret least the departure..
 
Hi gents! I'm new on this forum and may I introduce my experience before the topic will start!
I had a lot of exp with Japan TTs, TapeDecks, CDs, LDs, but never made any upgrades.
So I had:
Pioneer
PL-70
PL-50
PL-30

Denon
DP-59

Yamaha
YP-D9,
YP-D10,
GT-750,
PS-1,
GT-2000,

Micro Seiki
BL-51
BL-91
BL-99
BL-101
Have never used BL 111
also
DD-5

I had much more but a lot of the tables were without tonearms. So after lots of sellings and services I decided to leave 2 TTs. it was 2 years ago. The BL-91 cause it is classics and GT-2000 cause it is big and valuable. so the BL-91 is valuable too but it need more time to be sold!
And now I want to leave only one. But I decided to upgrade it! To use FR or Saec arms, and to use Bronze heavy disc.
In stock the BL is better but maybe someone knows what will I get in the end of upgrading?
I don't plan to use the heavy stand base for GT YAB-1

Sorry for my Eng. It is not my native language)

Nice list!

I would vote to keep both but I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
 
Nice list!

I would vote to keep both but I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
thank you, the list is a traders list! but all this trade is in the past! To keep both.... its a good idea, or to sell both while they are in stock.
on the BL-91 I can try external engine. from bl111 for eg
there is tons of variations, and it become harder to choose.
 
Hello,
+1 with 808_state
but if you want not an advice but a personal feeling ,
(I know a bit about what you re facing, currently got too much TTs have to sell some but hard to choose which ones,
sometimes feel that it may would be more simple to sell all then buy only the one or two I would be able to keep for long ...)

so if you want to make it quick and efficient, keep the BL-91, put a SAEC 407 / 23 arm (or 308 still very good but less expensive),
put as you said a Micro seiki CU-180 copper platter ( or SAEC SS-300 alloy platter, or .... ) on the top with some stabilizer weight ,
then told yourself that you re done with the table and its arm ....

then you will still have some experiments to do while trying the best cartridge that could fit with this combo,
and your amp pre amp speakers kind of music listening personal taste ....

try to take more time to enjoy listening than chasing the best possible upgrade available ...
personal advice only :-) ... good luck !
 
Honestly, It is going to be hard to get objective help making a choice like that between two turntables that the likehood of any of AK members having owned both. The Yamaha table is more common overseas and I know we have a few members here that are in the club of ownership, but how many that have had ownership with the Yamaha and the Micro Seiki might be near zero. And bases on your list of past tables, if anyone was to have an answer to your own question, it would probably be you.
 
The Yamaha is common in only one nation and near non-existent everywhere else.
 
Back
Top Bottom