• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

USB cable over 20 feet long

I have a PC using windows 7 and a stereo system 20 feet away from it. I have a Moon 350P with a phono preamp and a USB input. I think the 350P has the same female input that the PC has. If it does, then I must buy a cable that has males on both ends. Also, it must be an "actice" one to compensate for the extended length.
Question #1, is the Moon input a female, and, question #2, will the active cable degrade the signal input to the preamp?
Thanks for any ideas.
BB
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a PC using windows 7 and a stereo system 20 feet away from it. I have a Moon 350P with a phono preamp and a USB input. I think the 350P has the same female input that the PC has. If it does, then I must buy a cable that has males on both ends. Also, it must be an "actice" one to compensate for the extended length.
Question #1, is the Moon input a female, and, question #2, will the active cable degrade the signal input to the preamp?
Thanks for any ideas.
BB
The USB 2.0 specification states that a cable should be no longer than about 16 feet. Longer than that, and it might or might not work. Your "active" cable should be effectively like two eight-foot cables, which should be fine. Digital signals don't degrade in the same way that analog signals do; they either work correctly or they cause very audible drop-outs; the effect of a degraded or non-working digital connection will not be subtle.
 
Back
Top Bottom