• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Using Digital Co-Axial cables for stereo interconnects

john1964t

New Member
Hi All

New here and looking fro some advice.

I'm setting up a "budget" hifi system and want to connect a Marantz CD-63 MkII KI to a Pioneer A-400 Amp.

I have
- Very cheap stereo interconnects. No name, free with some previous kit.
and
- Some decent Digital Co-Axial cables. Ixos XHD608 75 Ohm Co-axial Digital cables, which I have previously used for AV equipment, but are now surplus to requirements.

My question is... do you think I will get decent results
- using digital co-axial cables for stereo interconnects or
- would the cheapies be OK or
- should I buy some decent stereo interconnects. (and if so any advise on what to get, up to about £20)

I have tried the cheapies and the XHD608's and I find it difficult to hear much of a difference, both sound great.

Any advise will be welcome.

thanks John
 
Register to hide this ad
Some decent Digital Co-Axial cables. Ixos XHD608 75 Ohm Co-axial Digital cables, which I have previously used for AV equipment, but are now surplus to requirements.

They will work fine as standard baseband analogue interconnects. No need to spend money on anything else.
 
I have tried the cheapies and the XHD608's and I find it difficult to hear much of a difference, both sound great.
I think you have answered your own question.... Your rig, your ears, decide what you like, then sit back and enjoy the music....
 
It's a bit thin for some applications but for modest power, reasonable impedances and length it will work fine and audibly indistinguishable from much more expensive stuff.

Here is a far more sensible and realistic look at speaker cable sizing, but expect the flummery brigade to be along in a moment. Read the cardas comments.
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
 
Good word, "flummery." Here's a phrase that should always be attached to any link of the Roger Russell page: "confirmation bias."
 
Here's a phrase that should always be attached to any link to subjective sighted cable discussion or revew: "expectation bias."
 
Interesting discussion..... what are you guys on about?

Is it that if you spend a load of money on some hifi gear, whether it be cables or anything else and you think you should hear an improvement.... then you will hear an improvement even if it doesn't exist?
 
Interesting discussion..... what are you guys on about?

Is it that if you spend a load of money on some hifi gear, whether it be cables or anything else and you think you should hear an improvement.... then you will hear an improvement even if it doesn't exist?

Quite the opposite. You don't have any money to spend so you use what you get at Goodwill for .50 and say that anybody who can hear a difference between the cables that came in the box of a Coby DVD player and van den Hul is imagining it.
 
Ooooo... this is getting complicated.

So the "flummery" quote above is not real flummery, its just made up by by people that are skint and use cheapo cables. Then they pretend there isn't any difference between the cheapo and the expensive cables or don't want to hear that there is a difference.

Is this reverse cable snobbery?
 
Ooooo... this is getting complicated.

So the "flummery" quote above is not real flummery, its just made up by by people that are skint and use cheapo cables. Then they pretend there isn't any difference between the cheapo and the expensive cables or don't want to hear that there is a difference.

Is this reverse cable snobbery?

This is not meant sarcastically or as an attack on you, since it might be interpreted that way: Reading your last two posts I'm wondering whether you have experience relevant to the issue at hand from which you've formed your own opinion on the issue, one way or another.

To answer my own inquiry, I'm going to have to agree with the sentiment of Art's post. We've been through this over and over again and aren't likely to settle it here, nor would it be appropriate to try and do so since that's not the topic of this thread. But whenever that out-dated Roger Russell nonsense gets posted, things always head down the same road.
 
The Logical Song - See Supertramp

Ooooo... this is getting complicated.

So the "flummery" quote above is not real flummery, its just made up by by people that are skint and use cheapo cables. Then they pretend there isn't any difference between the cheapo and the expensive cables or don't want to hear that there is a difference.

Is this reverse cable snobbery?
Which scenario seems more likely to you? (a)Someone spends 10x more for a cable than it would cost from, say Blue Jeans Cable, then hears differences because they need to hear differences because they shelled out so much money or (b)someone who is "skint" sits at home stewing in in their own juices trying to convince themselves they can't hear a difference because they can't afford to pay $200 for an interconnect? If you think both are plausible, at what ratio do you think they occur?
 
Hi All

I don't take the comment sarcastically, so no worries and I would agree I definately don't have the experience to make a judgement on what Roger Russell has on the web site. And I am struggling to tell the difference in the sound between different interconnects. I have read some of the stuff on Rogers web site and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Looking around the web there is so much conflicting infromation. I'm sure some of it is accurate but I'm also sure some of it is nonesense. I guess the point I was making is there are two sets of opinions and I'm not sure which one is right.

The main point is that I enjoy listening to music and the system I'm using although rather cheap sounds great to me, (all used buys.... Thorens TD166 MKII with a few mods, Pioneer A400X, Marantz CD-63 MKII KI and B&W DM602s).

The original post I made was serious and I wanted to know if the digital interconnects I have should produce a better sound than cheapies or should I invest in some dedicated analogue interconnects.

I have to admit I was playing a little on the last two posts as it seamed to be getting a bit serious. If anyone takes offence at the comments I must appologise.
:)
 
Here's a phrase that should always be attached to any link to subjective sighted cable discussion or revew: "expectation bias."

Both sides of this perennial argument suffer from one or the other at some point or another. What about the "unexpected result" to a sighted subjective cable swap? They seem to get mentioned often enough - usually in the vein of "I never expected this $6.99 cable to perform as well as my Acme Silver Garden Hose which cost me my left testicle and a promise of a first born."

"Psychoacoustics" is a real effect as well, but the number of people who know nothing about it, and yet throw it around, at least equal those who quote dubious explanations about "cable break in" without any scientific knowledge.

The tragedy is that nobody on either side seems interested in figuring out what is really happening - those who hear a difference don't care, because they find what pleases their ears (which, contrary to the common belief, is not necessarily the highest dollar value item). Those who don't hear a difference (or never bother to try anything different to see what happens) have no interest in finding out why there seems to be such a mass psychosis in such a varied and widely distributed population of people. Manufacturers don't care so long as people buy their products.

And, of course, Real Science(tm) costs money, and there are no government grants forthcoming for this study (though I often wonder if there's anything in the Canadian NRC files....)
 
The main point is that I enjoy listening to music and the system I'm using although rather cheap sounds great to me, (all used buys.... Thorens TD166 MKII with a few mods, Pioneer A400X, Marantz CD-63 MKII KI and B&W DM602s).

Looks like a pretty tight setup to me.

The original post I made was serious and I wanted to know if the digital interconnects I have should produce a better sound than cheapies or should I invest in some dedicated analogue interconnects.

I know. I never addressed it, I would just add that, if you're happy with things as they are it's not necessary to try normal "analog" interconnects (as opposed to digital like you've said), but consider experimenting if, now or down the line, you can do so cheaply, or especially if you can borrow a pair from a dealer or friend - just to determine whether or not you feel you hear a difference that's worth spending money on. There are lots of inexpensive but great options in cables. In my experience they often yield subtle improvements, but those little differences can make all the difference in the world, so to speak.

I have to admit I was playing a little on the last two posts as it seamed to be getting a bit serious. If anyone takes offence at the comments I must appologise.
:)

It's hard to tell in these situations (online communication), but I suspected that might be where you were going with it. Unfortunately nearly any thread that touches (just touches) on the subject often turns into an argument, some productive, others not at all. In this forum things aren't allowed to get out of control, same for the site in general, but here the point is to allow discussion of experiences with things like cables without being mocked or told you're imagining things.

Both sides of this perennial argument suffer from one or the other at some point or another. What about the "unexpected result" to a sighted subjective cable swap? They seem to get mentioned often enough - usually in the vein of "I never expected this $6.99 cable to perform as well as my Acme Silver Garden Hose which cost me my left testicle and a promise of a first born."

"Psychoacoustics" is a real effect as well, but the number of people who know nothing about it, and yet throw it around, at least equal those who quote dubious explanations about "cable break in" without any scientific knowledge.

The tragedy is that nobody on either side seems interested in figuring out what is really happening - those who hear a difference don't care, because they find what pleases their ears (which, contrary to the common belief, is not necessarily the highest dollar value item). Those who don't hear a difference (or never bother to try anything different to see what happens) have no interest in finding out why there seems to be such a mass psychosis in such a varied and widely distributed population of people. Manufacturers don't care so long as people buy their products.

And, of course, Real Science(tm) costs money, and there are no government grants forthcoming for this study (though I often wonder if there's anything in the Canadian NRC files....)

I think you've summed it up nicely here. In the past I've stopped short of selling off testicles for upper-tier cables, probably the wise choice. You can only do it twice.

The one thing I don't entirely agree on is that nobody is interested in finding out what, if anything, is behind the changes many of us say we hear when using various tweaks, cables, etc.. I think the skeptical crowd is often more interested in a scientific explanation and tangible evidence beyond the subjective experience of listening, and many on the other side of the issue (like myself) are satisfied with whatever gives results we feel are best. Like anything, this is not black and white, and in truth I'd be really interested in knowing what exactly is going on with some of the more counter-intuitive things I've heard in hi-fi audio. If this information remains elusive, I won't lose sleep over it, however.
 
Back
Top Bottom