• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Using Wiim Pro Plus timer to trigger other devices

Wiim’s first response was their recommendation to use my receiver’s trigger in, but since mine doesn’t have it I doubled down, explaining a bit more precisely what intend to do.
I think they also don’t want their customers to “tinker” with their devices.
Their support seems pretty solid, so I expect them to respond soon.
Not sure if I have a voltage measuring device, need to check.
Fingers crossed.
 
I asked the forum. Good idea. Thanks.

If I can’t get that info, I’ll try to find a 3.5 mm to RCA cable, and strip the two RCA ends - that way I’ll know which one is + and which is -?
I have to assume that the Wiim’s out has standard wiring!

But let’s see, maybe someone has merci.
 
Bingo!


Thread 'Power On/Off Devices without 12V Trigger'
 
I'm glad you seem to have found the answer, but I meant you could try asking on the long Wiim thead on AK:


Wiim need to improve the documentation on their product website; it's pretty poor.
 
I'm glad you seem to have found the answer, but I meant you could try asking on the long Wiim thead on AK:


Wiim need to improve the documentation on their product website; it's pretty poor.

I didn’t realize there was a Wiim section on AK. I may share my discoveries and the outcome of this endeavor there.

Agree, while their support is decent, they could save themselves and their customers time with better documentation. I guess Swiss-knive-like devices like the Pro Plus would require a lot of documentation for a lot of possible applications. But they could give us at least some more basics.
 
But they could give us at least some more basics.
Even mentioning the remote out on the specifications page. Or having a clear, labelled picture of the rear panels, rather than a blurry, 'atmospheric' shot...

It always amazes me how manufacturers make life hard for themselves, and customers.

I didn’t realize there was a Wiim section on AK.
It's not a 'section'; it's just a thread, like this one.
 
I thought the Wiim Pro Plus could automatically dim your listening room's lights, noise cancel all sound from other rooms, and serve a beer to your listening spot. You mean this $200 widget can't do everything? I'll have to pass. :(
 
Last edited:
Why would it need one?
For the same reason as the OP...? Maybe it doesn't have a timer function, either...

You seemed to be bemoaning the 'lack of facilities' of the $200 Wiim. I was just trying to point out that more expensive devices don't even provide the facilities of the Wiim...

Your post also added nothing useful to this thread, and seemed to be nothing more than a gratuitous denigration of the Wiim.
 
For the same reason as the OP...? Maybe it doesn't have a timer function, either...

You seemed to be bemoaning the 'lack of facilities' of the $200 Wiim. I was just trying to point out that more expensive devices don't even provide the facilities of the Wiim...

Your post also added nothing useful to this thread, and seemed to be nothing more than a gratuitous denigration of the Wiim.
I'll ask again. Why would any modern streamer need a trigger out? When I use my streamer, I always have my preamp and power amp on. The preamp triggers the power amp when it's turned on. All of my sources are turned on individually as needed. I never have every component in my system on at the same time because for obvious reasons, they don't need to be. I never thought we'd reach a point where it's become so much trouble to turn on an audio component.
 
Last edited:
Jayvis: I have two old school receivers connected, and 2 speakers and a sub wired to the main receiver, and 6 speakers in other rooms wired to the other receiver.
I want to use the Wiim’s wake-up and sleep timer functions, so that when the Wiim starts streaming, all the receivers and the sub come on.
I don’t want the receivers on all night. Vintage receivers like mine use power, even in standby mode, and they get hot - they’re not supposed to be on 24/7 all the time. Plus, mine happen to emit light directed to where I sleep - can’t have that.
I could maybe just add an old school audio timer for the receivers and always time it to whatever I program the Wiim to do, but that would be less fun.
 
Last edited:
I'm glad you seem to have found the answer, but I meant you could try asking on the long Wiim thead on AK:


Wiim need to improve the documentation on their product website; it's pretty poor.

cpt-paranoia, while waiting for all the parts to be shipped, I have a follow-up question.

With the risk of sounding super silly:
When you have this all set up, how do you switch between Wiim-timed, Wiim-controlled and regular use of the receiver(s) - like during the day when you just want to play a good old record over the same receiver, which is now plugged in to your relay and depends on the Wiim to trigger it to power on?
Is there an always-on or a bypass switch on the relay, without the need to plug the devices into the always-on slot or another power strip every time you want to use a non-Wiim source?
 
Jayvis: I have two old school receivers connected, and 2 speakers and a sub wired to the main receiver, and 6 speakers in other rooms wired to the other receiver.
I want to use the Wiim’s wake-up and sleep timer functions, so that when the Wiim starts streaming, all the receivers and the sub come on.
I don’t want the receivers on all night. Vintage receivers like mine use power, even in standby mode, and they get hot - they’re not supposed to be on 24/7 all the time. Plus, mine happen to emit light directed to where I sleep - can’t have that.
I could maybe just add an old school audio timer for the receivers and always time it to whatever I program the Wiim to do, but that would be less fun.
You can do whatever you think works best for you and I don't know exactly how the Wiim trigger works. Does it trigger when it turns on or when it actually starts streaming as you said? If it doesn't trigger other components until it starts streaming, it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. That would turn on your receivers and output to your speakers immediately without any warmup at all if you happen to leave your receivers' volume levels activated. I don't think that's a good idea, even though they're all solid-state components.
 
Last edited:
how do you switch between Wiim-timed, Wiim-controlled and regular use of the receiver(s)
That's a very good question...

If I were Wiim, I would have added a 'manual override' on the Trigger Out, within the Wiim app.

If that doesn't already exist, I would put in a feature request; it's a very good one, that should be fairly easy to implement.
 
Maybe I can use the Wiim's standby settings in the App.
If not, worst case, I'll just leave the Wiim running in play/streaming mode when I listen to other sources during the day. Since all my sources are going to the receiver, once I switch to other sources, the sound coming from the Wiim will be shut off. And as long as the Wiim is streaming, power will be on for all connected devices.
We shall see...
 
Maybe I can use the Wiim's standby settings in the App.
If not, worst case, I'll just leave the Wiim running in play/streaming mode when I listen to other sources during the day. Since all my sources are going to the receiver, once I switch to other sources, the sound coming from the Wiim will be shut off. And as long as the Wiim is streaming, power will be on for all connected devices.
We shall see...
That`s what I do with my DAC and (2) separate 24/7365 powered up and operating digital music sources, so either is readily selectable via the S/PDIF coax 4X1 S/PDIF coax remote controllable source selector.
They are all low powered devices that feed into my 24/7/365 powered up Mc. preamp which also uses very little electricity (~10 watts or less)
 
Back
Top Bottom