• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vacations and records??

dwaller131

Well-Known Member
My wife and I are taking a long weekend and heading up to Milwaukee to visit some folks and just get out of Chicago. We're also checking the area (Hales Corners/Greendale) for possible retirement options! (in a few years).

Here's the neat part; we're already planning out our days based upon WHERE WE MIGHT FIND RECORDS. Is there something wrong with us? Sure, we're doing the Milwaukee County Zoo (which is one of the best), and seeing downtown stuff, but we're planning on at least one whole day (maybe 2) to just bum around and look at albums at thrifts and resale stores.

Does anyone else do anything this weird on their vacations? We even did it when we went to Utah/Arizona last year!
 
Register to hide this ad
We do the same thing. Wife's not that into records, but often the record stores are located in areas where there are other funky stores, so she browses those while I hunt for records.
 
A couple years ago we drove up to the Pacific Northwest and did something similar. It was a blast and came home with 20-30 nice pick ups for probably not much more than it would have cost if we had camped out at a bar instead. Btw, there is an app called vinyl district which gives you record store locations based on gps, along with hours, and directions. Pretty useful especially when you aren't familiar with the area. Enjoy!
 
I just went to Monterey Bay CA. this summer and when I found out I was going. I went online to see if there were any record stores or thrift stores in the area, or on the way. There was but I didn't find anything worth picking up. So I think most of us on this site are more than likely to do the same. We are vinyl junkie's and can't help it:)
 
I always check out the record shops in any cities we travel through. I made a nice haul from a shop in Daytona last spring!
 
I do this when I travel for work. Stumbled onto a nice record store in Loiusville earlier this year. Got there just before closing so I didn't get my fill. Hoping to make it back.
 
I live in the middle of nowhere where there are no "local" record shops, so any time I travel to someplace that has little (or big) record shops, I seek them out.
 
My "reward" for driving a few hours with my wife to see her folks is that we stop at a few thrift stores along the road. Tulsa has a good size Flea Market that her dad and I will sometimes visit. One of the regular vendors has tens of thousands of records.
 
I used to hit record store, thrifts, antiques shops, and similar-type establishments @ various destinations years ago. Since the mid 1990s I've pretty much limited my "shopping" experiences to (primarily second-hand) bookstores, musical instrument shops (the more "guitar oriented, the better), and restaurants. And whenever in Paris, I visit le Cimetière du Montparnasse in the 14th arrondissement.
 
Last edited:
Glad to see we're not alone! We've already planned out 2 days of thrift/resale joints, and the rest to do boring things, like eating, and the zoo ;)
 
Before we leave on vacation, I lookup thrifts/GW's that are close to our hotel, and if time permits, I usually check them out.
 
I was heading across country in January of 1981 and stopped at a record store in Boulder, CO. They had stuff I had never seen before so I spent every dime I had except what I needed for gas. Didn't eat the next two days, slept in the car in zero degree temps. They closed Interstate 70 due to impossible conditions. But I had some great records to show for it.
Nowadays I am pretty sure the stuff I'm looking for would not even make it to the racks.
 
I seem to to hit proper records stores more than the thrifts on vacation. though i have been plotting a thrift store road trip in my mind.This year i got to spend about six hours mostly with just owner and me in Columbus. My wife likes to shop books more than records. But when she does shop for lps finds cool stuff generally. She discovered Vashti Bunyan at a record store in Charlottesville Va.
 
Back
Top Bottom