• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Velodyne SPL1200 Ultra subwoofer repaired

Kev Minns

New Member
My 2014 Velodyne SPL1200 Ultra died a few months back and today I decided to investigate the failure. The fuse had blown to pieces but the boards all looked perfect, no bulging capacitors or burnt resistors. On checking the full wave bridge rectifier (p/n KBPC1506W) there was a short circuit on one of the sections. Replacing this with a similar suitable part and using the spare 6 amp fuse thoughtfully provided in the fuse carrier has brought the subwoofer back into action, so I thought I’d share this information as the SPLxxxx Ultra range of subwoofers are too good to just throw in the skip.

WARNING: The amp in this subwoofer is directly connected to the mains and lethal voltages are present everywhere. Make sure the main capacitors are fully discharged too.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3866.jpeg
    IMG_3866.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3872.jpeg
    IMG_3872.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3877.jpeg
    IMG_3877.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3879.jpeg
    IMG_3879.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3880.jpeg
    IMG_3880.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 26
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to AK!! Thanks for the info!
Heat usually does these plate amps in. You ever consider removing the amp and placing it in its own box with a cooling fan? Put a blank plate in its place on the sub?
 
I’m actually using the sub on my stereo HiFi just to fill in the bottom end of the frequency band so it probably leads an easy life compared to most of these subs. It’s been fine until now and everything looked perfect so I don’t think heat was an issue.
I didn’t mention that I initially assumed it was C14 and C15 stopping power startup as I hadn’t even checked the fuse (they can be seen in on of the photos near the circled bridge rectifier that failed). Anyway C15 measured perfectly when I’d removed it so then I started looking elsewhere.
 
Back
Top Bottom