• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Velvet Underground and Nico- great album, which reissue?

SBEEZ

Well-Known Member
The folks over at Sound Stage Direct have the Velvet Underground and Nico for sale in SIX different versions. There are mono and stereo versions, a range from normal to 200g, a yellow vinyl edition, and the LP is offered on three different labels: Verve, 4 Men With Beards, and Polydor.

Do you guys have any experience with any of these different reissues? This is kind of ridiculous.
 
Register to hide this ad
The folks over at Sound Stage Direct have the Velvet Underground and Nico for sale in SIX different versions. There are mono and stereo versions, a range from normal to 200g, a yellow vinyl edition, and the LP is offered on three different labels: Verve, 4 Men With Beards, and Polydor.

Do you guys have any experience with any of these different reissues? This is kind of ridiculous.

I have a blue verve label one I got at christmas holidays brand new re-issue and it sounds great, play it heaps. Buy it. :yes:

Daza.
 
I wouldn't put too much stock into any specific reissue. Sonically, it was never a great recording. I recently bought the $12 reissue of the 3rd album and it was fine.
 
I agree with Slowhead. I need to get down to my vinyl collection and check out what I have, but I've not been impressed with how mine sounds (and I've had mine for at least 25 years). It doesn't get a lot of playing time because it just doesn't sound that good. Of course, that could be due to it just not being a very good pressing.

Can't come close to my Lou Reed Transformer CD re-issue.
 
Don't get too caught up in sonic clarity with the VU...the original discs have a murkiness that is all part of the charm. Just play loud!
 
I recently purchased the 180g Mono reissue. It is fine.

That's the one I have (Verve). Plays fine. Heck - the stereo version is practically mono anyway. Don't pay too much.

"Loaded" is EZ to find in good shape on the original Cotillion label. Get it.

Ken
 
Back
Top Bottom