• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Very Happy With Shure SFG-2

131east23

...near Frank's Pizza!
I have a Dual 1249 that has been giving me some problems over the last month so I pulled it out of service and started using my Garrard Lab 80. Adjusting the weight of the tonearm on the Lab 80 is done by turning a plastic dial located on the bottom of the tonearm. I did not know if I could trust it so I did some research here on AK for a stylus force gauge and that led me to buy the Shure.

I found one at B&H in NYC for $25.00, includes shipping. I can't imagine why anybody would need anything other than this. It's a beautiful little gauge and I was pleased to find out that my Lab 80 is dead on.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2106.jpg
    IMG_2106.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2100.jpg
    IMG_2100.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 19
Register to hide this ad
I've been using one for years, somple, effective, and very accurate when I compared the results to a digital gauge.
Regards,
Jim
 
The Shure gauge and a MFSL Geo-Disc were recommended to me by a dealer about 27 years ago. Both have been easy, reliable tools for either setting or confirming tracking force and alignment, giving peace of mind even when not actually required for setup. In August I bought the inexpensive Denon DP-300F with pre-mounted cartridge. The Geo-Disc assured me the cartridge was mounted accurately, and the Shure gauge confirmed that the VTF dial on the counterweight could be relied on. One possible problem is that I'm so attached to the Geo-Disc that I'm hesitant to consider turntable/arm combinations that aren't designed for or compatible with Baerwald alignment.
 
Shure SFG-2 is what I use also. Works just fine for my needs. Just have to fine tune the anti-skate after. :thmbsp:
 
It's all I've ever used(40yrs) and NEVER had a problem with accurate readings of tracking force settings. got mine when I bought a SME 3009 tonearm.
 
Back
Top Bottom