• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Very Pleased with 1626 SET 'Darling' Amp

Ian did a beautiful job, and Keith Jarrett never sounded better, thanks for the private audition at AkFest!

Jay - 8532's are essentially "ruggedized" 6J4's or 6J4WA's. If I recall correctly, "rocket boy" Bob Danielak chose them because they were cute and small along side the 1626's and bias'd up nicely. I believe that RCA and Sylvania were the only actual manufacturers - so they all should sound pretty much the same.

Many years ago I organized a massive purchase of 1626's for the JoeList, and was mailing out boxes of them for weeks. I ended up sending out a few hundred tubes. I still have a good stock thankfully.

dcd001.jpg


Yet another tube that was never intended for audio, and looking at the plate curves doesn't look promising!

- Gary
 
Wow - thanks for the feedback - really appreciate it.

Coming from the folks who posted, I feel like Chuck Yeager called my landing a greaser...

So I have this old Bulgarian ammo box somewhere........
 
Hi chinacave,
I came across your Darling 1626/8532 setup - really awesome work, looks great!
I would like to build the Darling myself as well but I am really a newbi to tubes and will probably mess it up and go up in flames or so. Anyway, just wanted to ask you if you maybe have some more close-up photos of your wiring? I have the original arcicle by Bob Danielak, but can't really figure it out...
Also, one question: According to the schematic there is the R7, C5, R9 and C6 on one 8532/1626 channel only, it seems - can you say, why it is not on both? Can one do it on both channels or is there a reason for the "mono" setup?
Thanks a lot!
 
Ian did a beautiful job, and Keith Jarrett never sounded better, thanks for the private audition at AkFest!

Jay - 8532's are essentially "ruggedized" 6J4's or 6J4WA's. If I recall correctly, "rocket boy" Bob Danielak chose them because they were cute and small along side the 1626's and bias'd up nicely. I believe that RCA and Sylvania were the only actual manufacturers - so they all should sound pretty much the same.

Many years ago I organized a massive purchase of 1626's for the JoeList, and was mailing out boxes of them for weeks. I ended up sending out a few hundred tubes. I still have a good stock thankfully.

dcd001.jpg


Yet another tube that was never intended for audio, and looking at the plate curves doesn't look promising!

- Gary

I see Mullard offered them too (the 8532s). I wonder if they are re-branded. Can't really see the internal or printing very well on my source (epay).
 
Last edited:
Hi chinacave,
I came across your Darling 1626/8532 setup - really awesome work, looks great!
I would like to build the Darling myself as well but I am really a newbi to tubes and will probably mess it up and go up in flames or so. Anyway, just wanted to ask you if you maybe have some more close-up photos of your wiring? I have the original arcicle by Bob Danielak, but can't really figure it out...
Also, one question: According to the schematic there is the R7, C5, R9 and C6 on one 8532/1626 channel only, it seems - can you say, why it is not on both? Can one do it on both channels or is there a reason for the "mono" setup?
Thanks a lot!

Thanks-

In the SP article, he explains how those components were shared, or doing double duty for both channels- apparently a cost savings trick to lower parts count with little if any negative effect.

Good luck with your build, i'd like to see it.
 
I like everything about this! I have the output tubes,, and the old oil caps are plentiful in old military gear, scopes and such,,, and cheap OPTs, this whole build is right up my alley!!! Only thing I'd change is separate VCs...
Gotta bookmark this one...
 
Back
Top Bottom