• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Vifa Dome Midrange For Kappa 9

The colour of the domes "I think" doesnt bother anyone.It was more of a statement in the sense of lubing the domes up to prevent cracking or drying out,so the hair dryer treatment is not for me and "I think" that people would not want to apply that approach.



There was a guy who posted here before , he stated he had put armorall on the domes....But this is also a sealer and I would not reccomend that either...As long as they are not cracked and are still soft and pliable your fine!!
 
Yes,mine are in fine shape,but this info was for future doings.The armorall,I would not advise anybody to use that either.
 
I want to keep this thread active as I want to see the domes being manufactured again.
Since I restore old Mustangs for a hobby I found the best way to have something be brought back is to use the same manufacturer as the original. Fit and finish stays the same. HK should be the first avenue we try.
Maybe they could tell us how many have to be made for a first run?

If they have no interest then maybe the loudspeaker store would be a desired second way to go.
 
There is a repair service here that "rebuilds" domes, using what appears to be either a combination of ring surrounds and smooth domes, cut to size and fused/glued together, or else a replacement molded from material that looks like surround material. I would expect that to create a very altered sound, but in fact it is pretty close to the original, at least closer than any of the three replacement drivers I've heard, and better (IMHO) than at least two of them.

While not ideal (i.e., not quite original), I know several dealers that take their fried Polydomes to this guy for this "rebuilding" when they get damaged ones in. They seem to agree that it is the best available solution. He charges about $75 or $80 for this. The voice coils have to be intact, though, or he won't touch them. Since the guy is really an expert, who repairs various other driver coils, I assume there is a good reason for this.

Hi Arkay, just got to score a pair of Kappa 7.2 for cheaps but one of the polydome and ring has deteriorated quite badly otherwise everything is still intact . Would appreciate if you could point me out as to where I can do the rebuiding or replacement cos I frrquently visit Hong Kong.
Regards,
Mike
 
The best approach is not so much keeping a post in AK as Harmon Kardon marketing doesn't go to forums to determine what drivers to remanufactor. The best approach would be for everyone to call once a week to the parts department and give them the part number and ask if they are available yet. We might be surprised as that is what I did over and over and out of the clear I was getting some drivers which others told me were NLA, for older drivers than the Kappa's. I got complete midrange drivers for my QLS's and new diaphrams for my QLS's EMIT's. One day they would say out of stock and then others they would say they had some. Its hard to deal with them as I think your call is reconnected to Hong Kong or Taiwan as they are always some asian woman with a very strong accent. I have found sometimes it is best to call a few times a day, one girl will say out of stock NLA and then an hour later another girl says they have a few. I have not tried to get any Kappa parts but I will see what they say and start giving them a call.
 
just came 2 steps down from my high

I have heard the same thing about using a blow drier to make the dome appear clear before selling them to unsuspecting buyers. I own both the Kappa 9's, and a pair of Kappa 8's. I got the Kappa 8's for only 50 dollars

Paid $50 and traded a MAC 1700 that needed some TLC for my Kappa 8 and I thought I got the great deal. What a score. Currently I am on the hunt for repair or replacements for the polydomes, the 12s need a refoam and one of the mid bass (what I call the star wars looking driver) has a dent. I didn't care about any of that. The cabinets alone are worth what I gave for them. I have been wanting these speakers for over 15 years and anyone remotely close were too high to consider shipping or traveling to pick them up.
 
I just acquired a pair of Kappa 7's with Vifa Domes, however when the guy tested it for me, one of the Vifa domes didn't work. Got the pair without the midranges for cheaper, but now i'm in the market for some Vifa domes but they seem all out of stock everywhere. Anyone know where they're still selling these?

I hear they match the original's impedance better than the scanspeak replacement. Is this true?
 
Back
Top Bottom