• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage AR1 with Altec Drivers??

StarMover

AlienToAllThingsAudio
Ran across this auction while surfin.

Apparently an early AR1 with stock Altec drivers. I didn't know AR ever used Altec drivers. :scratch2:

Must be pretty rare based on the bidding so far.

Not mine and no affiliation.
 
Register to hide this ad
AR 1 was built around the highly regarded and highly coveted WE/Altec 755A.

Well preserved 755A's can bring up to 2K for a pair. They are indeed "special" and IMO, perhaps the finest sounding "full range" speaker ever made.

This one will take a hit for the dented dustcap, it's also a later Altec built 755. Early AR-1's will have 755's that are Altec labeled, but were built in the Western Electric factory, these are the ones that get the "atomic" bids. WE built 755's will have 6 welds attaching the return pot, the Altecs have 3.
 
Last edited:
Yep, I never thought that AR used altec until I came across an ar-1. I did some research and found that out, I had just listed the AR-1 on ebay with out any mention to altec, some guy called me up wanting to buy it off me, I told him he could have it cash in hand for 1000k...he took to long and was BS'in me to death, I hung up after the 6th call and told him if he wanted it, he'll have to bid...I sold it for 1300$ despite the horrible shape the cabinet was in, that was one terrific sounding speaker, one day I hope to come across apair, but I am always afraid to use a 3000$+ pair of speakers.
 
I was at a white elephant thrift and picked up a pair for $15 - they were mismatched (different grill cloth,connectors in back & serials) I was about to throw them away when for the heck of it I looked on ebay:yes:...... I ended up ebaying them for just over 1K to a guy in Los Angeles that was very happy to get them.....:thmbsp:
 
I was at a white elephant thrift and picked up a pair for $15 - they were mismatched (different grill cloth,connectors in back & serials) I was about to throw them away when for the heck of it I looked on ebay......

You buy speakers and then throw then away??
 
You buy speakers and then throw then away??

they were really beat up and didnt match - I couldnt get inside of them either (drivers glued in) I didnt really like the sound of them either and one crossover kept cutting out - I had no idea what I had (I know now) when I'm out at the thrifts I have to make a decision to buy something or not (unless I can call my son and he looks up stuff for me) theres been a bunch of stuff I've bought then donated back to the thrifts because I cant do anything with it - the shape these were in I'm surprised that the made it to the floor in the first place.....
 
I think we've all been there at some point. Once upon a time i didn't know better, and i have a rusty 150-4C magnet that's been used to pick up nails and stray metal fasteners for roughly the last 30 years to prove it.

Sure i knew of JBL, and that they were ""good", but how could this grubby old woofer with a torn cone be good for anything?

I'm marginally wiser these days.:scratch2:
 
AR 1 was built around the highly regarded and highly coveted WE/Altec 755A.

Well preserved 755A's can bring up to 2K for a pair. They are indeed "special" and IMO, perhaps the finest sounding "full range" speaker ever made.

This one will take a hit for the dented dustcap, it's also a later Altec built 755. Early AR-1's will have 755's that are Altec labeled, but were built in the Western Electric factory, these are the ones that get the "atomic" bids. WE built 755's will have 6 welds attaching the return pot, the Altecs have 3.

Great bit of info! The Altec 755A I picked up today (see the "Best thrift store/Goodwill/SA finds" thread for pics) has six little welds. Time for the Happy Snoopy Dance! :D
 
Back
Top Bottom