• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage bose 501

hpm-1000

Member
Hello,

I got myself a pair of bose 501 first series from 1977, original and working well, i got them almost for free and i like the way they look!

They are strange speakers, they dont sound specially good or anything but there is something fun about them, they fill the room with sound. I ve read a lot of people saying bad things about them and i understand them, but there is for sure something bose got right with these, they are strangely musical.

Anyone experienced with these? good an bad opinions are welcome.

thank you
 
Register to hide this ad
Not a Bose fan, that said I have always likes the early 301's and 501's.... If you 're-build" or "re-store" them, I think you will like them even more.. The 501's have a cool retro look and frankly I think they sound very good. Good highs, greay bass and overall a very musical speaker.... No they are not "audiophile" but some of the best speakers I have listened to would not be considered "audiophile"... Put some time into them and enjoy.
 
yes, thats what i though too, how does one go to improve them? i must say i have never done any work at all in speakers and i am fairly green to electronics but i would like to give it a try! i ve heard its quite difficult to take the grills out, anyway are we talking about changing elements , electronics? whats the deal? thank you
 
Take the grilles off and use them without. Will look butt ugly, but makes a huge difference in what they sound like.
 
The 501 was a low cost alternative to 901. Unlike 901 it used woofers and tweeters. The indirect sound from the rearward tweeter makes all the difference. You need to place them near enough to a wall for the sound from this tweeter to bounce and disperse before it reaches you. This is how it was intended. While the execution of the Bose concept was invariably flawed and some of the logic behind it was also flawed, it has advantages over conventional designs that made them very popular. It should be understood that in their day, when they were manufactured and marketed in the 1970s most speakers were not nearly as bright sounding as most models today. The treble control on your amplifier should help. Even more than 25 years after the last version of 901 was marketed and almost 45 years after it was first introduced, Bose 901 still provokes a lot of controversy and anger among audiophiles. Strange that one product should produce such as strong reaction for so long.
 
I have rebuilt/upgraded the original 501 model. I carefully pulled that mass stapled 3 piece grill cover lose, removed all the damn staples and put thinner cloth on the grill covers- then velcro them back in place. I also did a nice re-foam, wood veneered the cabinets and a cap change. They never will be audiophile speakers but certainly can be improved with a little imagination. They ended up making nice looking musical end tables, that I latter sold for a profit!
DC
 
Back
Top Bottom