• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Canton Speaker Pecking Order

@Bratwurst7s
Thanks for posting that link to the list of Cantons. I don’t think I’ve seen that before. It’s awesome that they have all that info for each of their speakers. I wish we had that for every speaker manufacturer :thumbsup:

Well, it's in German of course but HiFi Wiki does list info for pretty much all audio equipment. You can brouse by product catagory (Produktkategorien) Manufacturer (Hersteller).
https://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Spezial:Kategorien
https://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Kategorie:Hersteller

Cheers,
James
 
Nice. I didn’t know they covered all the manufacturers. Maybe it’s time for me to learn some German. Haha
 
Had a pair of karat 30's. They sounded really good. Mine were white with white metal grills.

When you took the grill off the front baffle was finished in a crushed velvet material. Never ever saw that before.

Regarding sound quality id say they are on par with my ADS 570/2. And those sound very good too.

Both are 2 way designs. Hard to beat a quality 2 way speaker.

Those Cantons were high quality.
 
Hello, reviving this thread with a quickie question, I'm looking for something to mate with vintage Japanese equipment priority is to maintain the vibe of the era but also to sound good and be inexpensive. I'm in Italy and old Cantons show up frequently.

Do the Cantons from the 70s era LE and GLE have rubber surrounds or foam? How about the Quinto era? Looking through google images the Canton woofers seem to be rubber but hard to be sure. It also seems the crossovers avoided electrolytic caps and they used films throughout even from the 1970-1980s but you never know if those have been modded, generally anyone showing picts of their crossovers are showcasing their modding "talents" :confused:
 
Hello, reviving this thread with a quickie question, I'm looking for something to mate with vintage Japanese equipment priority is to maintain the vibe of the era but also to sound good and be inexpensive. I'm in Italy and old Cantons show up frequently.

Do the Cantons from the 70s era LE and GLE have rubber surrounds or foam? How about the Quinto era? Looking through google images the Canton woofers seem to be rubber but hard to be sure. It also seems the crossovers avoided electrolytic caps and they used films throughout even from the 1970-1980s but you never know if those have been modded, generally anyone showing picts of their crossovers are showcasing their modding "talents" :confused:
Very late here is an answer:
In my experience all Cantons speaker between 1978 to 1995 had rubber surrounds.
Unfortunately, the crossovers had more electrolytic capacitors than film capacitors. In my favorite Canton speakers, I replaced all electrolytic capacitors with film capacitors such as WIMAs.
Greetings,
oldfashioned
 

Attachments

  • CT 2000 crossover new-2.jpg
    CT 2000 crossover new-2.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 34
I like Canton speakers. Currently using a pair of Karat 702's. Transitioning in life and sold big house and currently in a townhouse, so limited on space. The Karat 702's are 6" two ways, but I have been very happy with them. Previously spent most of my time with Yamaha NS-1000's.

1728160468524.png1728160506835.png
1728160536874.png
1728160570333.png
 
I kno
Yep. Except that I would say that there is only a very small difference between the Quinto series and the 1st of the Karat's (100/200/300). You could call that 1st Karat lineup "product improved Quintos", mainly slightly larger cabinets and/or modified crossover points. With the Karat 20/30/40/60 lines they took a jump and are close to the 1st CT line. They are all good speakers.

The 2nd series CT's are much different than the 1st series, being all floorstanders. Of the 1st series CT only the CT 2000 is a floorstander, the 800 and 1000 are large bookshelf cabinets.

The CT lines evolved into the Ergo, which so far I have no experience with.

Cheers,
James
w this thread is five years old, but it’s about all I could find on the Canton Karats. I currently have a pair of Karat 100s and am wondering if the Karat 20s would be a step up in sound quality. Obviously, the 100s are a three way speaker and the 20s a 2-way, but you mentioned the 20/30/40/60 line took a “step up” from the earlier 100/200/300 line. Any thoughts?
 
I kno

w this thread is five years old, but it’s about all I could find on the Canton Karats. I currently have a pair of Karat 100s and am wondering if the Karat 20s would be a step up in sound quality. Obviously, the 100s are a three way speaker and the 20s a 2-way, but you mentioned the 20/30/40/60 line took a “step up” from the earlier 100/200/300 line. Any thoughts?
I would say probably no, with one reservation. That being that the 25mm metal dome tweeter is pretty nice.
A K-30, possibly. A K-40, definitely.

On the other hand, if the price is right it'd hard to go wrong with a Canton.

:beerchug:
 
Thanks for the reply! I couldn’t resist, so I got a pair off eBay. You are correct. Not much difference in sound. But since they are 4 ohm and the 100s are 8 ohm, it’s not easy for me to do a side-by-side comparison. The only minor difference might be that the 20s are a bit brighter. (Aluminum tweeter versus cloth?). They both sound good. Im using them in a white, built-in bookcase so going up in size isn’t really an option. Would love to get a pair of 60s in mahogany, but no room.
 
Thanks for the reply! I couldn’t resist, so I got a pair off eBay. You are correct. Not much difference in sound. But since they are 4 ohm and the 100s are 8 ohm, it’s not easy for me to do a side-by-side comparison. The only minor difference might be that the 20s are a bit brighter. (Aluminum tweeter versus cloth?). They both sound good. Im using them in a white, built-in bookcase so going up in size isn’t really an option. Would love to get a pair of 60s in mahogany, but no room.
8 ohm Canton's are fairly rare over here, most speakers that I see, regardless of brand, are 4 ohm. All of my speakers are 4 ohm, including the Seattle made Speakerlabs. I have a pair of Karat 100's in walnut sitting here that I picked up cheap last year that will be getting refinished soon.

I am going to make the WAG that Canton produced the 8 ohm versions mainly for export to the USA, where 8 ohm speakers seem to be much more common.

In any case, I think that you made a good choice, you can't have too many Cantons.

:beerchug:
James
 
Thanks James. I’m sure you’re right about the 8 ohm versions produced for the US market. My first Cantons were the Plus S, purchased at a hifi dealer in Kansas City in the late 1980s after they had the Canton rep come in for a demonstration. The small crowd that had gathered to hear this revolutionary new “satellite/subwoofer” system was blown away by the sound. I remember asking the rep why anyone would spend almost $10,000 on the Canton reference towers when they could get these satellites and sub for around $1,000. His answer was to put on an E.Power Biggs pipe organ CD and play it on the towers, then the satellites. Ah, okay. I get it. But I wasn’t listening to a lot of pipe organ at the time, so the satellites fit my style and my budget. I couldn’t afford the Canton subwoofer, so one of the salesmen pointed me to a cheaper Yamaha active woofer. The Plus S speakers, which I still have, were 4 ohm, and sounded amazing in our little house.
 
I will try to give a bit of perspective. Some of it will overlap.
HiFi Wiki is a pretty useful site for gaining an overview. It's in German but numbers are numbers and any reasonably educated English speaking audiophile should still be able get a basic understanding of what is there.
https://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Canton_Lautsprecher

Very early on there was the LE series on top, and one lower level series whose name escapes me. From '72 to '75 the LE 600 was the top speaker, from '75 to '78 the larger LE 900 was top dog.

In 1978 the GLE 1st series replaced the LE's.

In1980 the Quinto line was started, replacing the early GLE series (note that there was/is a later GLE series that are completely different than the early ones) and ran until 1985.
The Quintos's were replaced with the Karat series starting in 1986 and subsequent models run until this day.
The GLE (1st), Quintos and Karats seem to have been the upper middle class but I'm not sure about what stood at TOTL from 1978 until the CT appeared. These series are all solid good performers.

In 1984 to 1986 the CT 1st series first appeared and was as far as I can tell 2nd tier TOTL. They ran until 1987/1990 depending on the specific model.
The CT 2nd series appeared starting in 1987, again there was some overlap.
The CT speakers are all high quality, similar to the Quinto and Karat but with better components (higher quality drivers and better crossover components).

On the other hand, there was/is the Ergo series. Aside from a single "Ergo" active speaker that was made in 1980-81 the Ergo replaced the CT models starting around 1990 as the TOTL speakers.

Sometime in the (late?) '80s(?) there were 2 Reference models, the 3000 and 6000. There is almost no information available about them but they have nothing to do with the later Reference series. A friend has a pair of the Reference 6000's and they are a fine little 2.5 way speaker (1x 25mm dome tweeter + 2x 6.5" mid/midbass).

The quality very small/satellite+sub sized speaker segment were covered with the GL lines starting in 1980. They were replaced with the Plus speakers starting in 1991.

The above are imho the best that Canton had to offer into the early 1990's. After the early 1990's I am actually not all that well educated about what was going on in the Canton world.

The Fonum series started in 1980 and was the entry/budget level of "full sized" bookshelf (and later on, floorstanding) speakers. These are reasonably good speakers but not up to the same quality level of the Quinto/Karat series.

The Nestor series speakers fit in there somewhere, but I am not at all educated about them, except to say that the very first Nestor active speaker appears to have been a TTOTL statement piece and only a handful of them were made.

I think that pretty much all of the other series cover budget, PC, small home theater market segments, at least until the early '90s, but there can easily be some little jewel that I have missed.

I hope that this is sufficiently confusing. We now return you to your regular programming.
James
Thank you, James! Info about Canton speakers is hard to come by in English, and even though my last name is German, I can't read it at all. Your info is very much appreciated!
 
Hi, I’m surprised no one is talking about the CA 30’s. The Ca 30’s are the true vintage TOTL. I had the pleasure of listening to them quite often. My father had two pairs of them one he bought as new old stock in the 2010’s. Sadly they were lost in a house fire earlier this year. But they were an amazing pair of speakers. The attack and decay on them was something else. Balanced mids, and nice crisp highs. He had a pair of the B&W 801 Nautilus as well. But I always preferred the CA 30’s.
 
Back
Top Bottom