• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Vintage Cassette Decks - Collectors/Anyone Bother?

me? i'm definitely no cassette deck collector, i currently have only one; a PIONEER CT-W600R, and i'm simply aiming to upgrade to this...

PIONEER CT-91a (198?)

CT-91a1.jpg

CT-91a2.jpg

CT-91a3.jpg

CT-91a4.jpg

CT-91a5.jpg

CT-91a6.jpg

CT-91a7.jpg

CT-91a9.jpg

CT-91a10.jpg

CT-91a11.jpg

CT-91a12.jpg
 
Pioneer 6 Cassette deck with random shuffle. Never play it but keeping for the novelty of a 6 cassette player. It works, though!
 
Yeah, get the deck. They look cool and if it matches your system, all the better.

It's a cool thing.

:cool: :smoke: :cool: :smoke:
 
15 cassette decks with 4 in everyday use. I listen to a lot of tape, and love to repair these old units. It's well worth having one if you're going to listen to it. Otherwise I'd not bother because like all vintage gear, you need to maintain them or they go south.
 
Lady Ayeka, can you swing getting that Pioneer? That is a must have if working properly, probably 10lbs of copper in there(kidding but, alot in there really!) The transport and display if Sony sourced could be troublesome:thumbsdn: I had a Sony DAT that looked suspiously like that gave the tech fit's, told me to never bring it back if it acted up again!! Well it did and off to the storage unit it went see story below.

To the OP, I bought the SAE computer-direct-line series in the 80's still have most of it, the C 101 cassette had some belt issue's and went to the storage unit to keep the DAT company, the unit was broken into and cleaned out:tears: I'd put that SAE deck up agaist anything but a Nak Dragon! still have the Metal MA-XG's I taped on it though ( if you see this in time, 1 day left, look in Dollars and sense for" are these worth $16 each thread") there are 5 unopened MA-XG 90min for cheap in Austrailia. Hear these on a nice deck and you are gonna be beyond saving from cassette's. You need a good Deck that can record Metal tapes and preferably a tone generator built in to perfectly match the bias/level on each tape(they are all diff. splitting hairs again, stuwee?) Yes I am! The diff. put's the sound into RTR teritory, big time!
If you just want the look, it dosen't matter what I've said (what gear are you trying to match?) find a match that you can mess with and get running and, Good Luck to ya!
Craig
 
That pioneer deck is pretty impressive looking. Its funny because it looks very similar to my Pioneer CD player from ~1989. I know its the same company, but its funny two totally different technologies could look so similar.
 
B&O BC5000 cassette deck degaussed on turn on. It's actually a stupid trick they use.
There are plenty of Nakamichi collectors. What keeps many of them playing cassettes is that by dubbing CDs to tape, much of the digital trash goes away.
As far as silver decks, try a silver Nak 482, or BX1 on a budget, LX5 if you want super sound and looks. Other notable silver decks Onkyo TA2070, TA2080, Aiwa AD6900, HK 300xm, Yamaha TC720.
 
Radio Shack SCT-11 experiences; problems with cheap cassettes

I grew up in the '70s when cassettes were all the rage (much as CDs and mp3s are to today's kids and teenagers), so developed a liking for compact cassettes very early on. I have a Radio Shack SCT-11 deck I purchased from John Kendall's Vintage Electronics (vintage-electronics.com) last year that works very well, except the drive belt for the tape counter is broken. This deck replaces the auto-reverse decks in my bookshelf stereo, which both went bad about a year ago. The SCT-11 is much better, however, IMHO, than those built-in decks in at least two ways: one, the RS deck has Dolby noise reduction, allowing me to listen to any one of my 60 or so prerecorded cassettes as they were meant to be heard (they are from Time-Life Music and were recorded with Dolby NR). However, when I switch in the Dolby circuitry (while listening to Dolby-encoded cassettes, of course), I don't notice much of a difference; that is, I can tell when the Dolby system is on, but just barely. The Dolby decoder also supposedly works for FM, but since Dolby FM is no longer used here I have no way to test it in that mode. I also have a CrO2/normal selector on this deck that doesn't have much effect on most of my cassettes except one, a compilation of 1960s surf-rock music that was professionally recorded on chrome tape. I don't notice much of a difference in sound on this cassette, either, when I switch to CrO2 mode.

I see blank C-60 and C-90 cassettes on sale every now and then at a local Dollar General store. These no-name cassettes are three for a buck and are good enough for casual listening, IMHO, but I don't think I'd want to record anything critical on them as the quality of the tape seems questionable, as does the reliability of the drive system within the cassette. I've had some bad experiences with these cheap cassettes jamming or even the tape breaking (I've lost some rare, irreplaceable music that way :no:); however, the prerecorded cassettes I've purchased, with one notable exception, have been of good quality. The exception is a compilation of the greatest hits of the '60s rock-and-roll group The Searchers; this cassette plays in my deck, but not well. I can hear both tracks playing at once, one normally and one (the B side of the cassette) in reverse. This shows up on two different decks, my SCT-11 and a General Electric-branded boom box, so I suspect the cassette itself is the problem; a one-in-a-million glitch in the recording process, perhaps.
 
The unassuming little TC-511S from Yamaha. This is quasi-front load, like the above-mentioned SCT-11 from R/S.

TC511S203-420view20AK.jpg

TC511S20cab20top20AK.jpg

P1030116.jpg
 
I have two cassette decks in my Pioneer Rig. I may have to do a tape-to-tape someday. One has VU meters while the other is Fluroscan. A good mix.
 
I have a CT-F1000 living in the closet, and a very cool tray-loading H/K 705 in storage. I just don't use cassettes anymore.
 
I confess I barely use my '97 Nakamichi DR-1 3-head cassette deck anymore, but it still works perfectly and sits on my audio rack for when I do get the urge to listen to tapes I've recorded back in the day (mid '70s - early '80s rock). I also think it's a cool conversation piece...people today look at it like it's an antique or something!

And back in the day I've owned a few, to include the venerable Nakamichi DRAGON and a harman/kardon CD 491...the latter's transport mechanism crapped out several times, but the DRAGON never failed me, ever! I just decided I wasn't interested in cassettes anymore when I was listening to CDs more and more, so stupid me sold it! I still kick myself for letting that cassette deck go...finding a mint DRAGON today is harder to do and they still cost an arm and a leg regardless of condition (unless they're junkers).
 
If you just want the look, it dosen't matter what I've said (what gear are you trying to match?) find a match that you can mess with and get running and, Good Luck to ya!
Craig

Basically interested in silver faced gear - with the idea match being either 42cm wide Pioneer TX606/SA506 Tuner/Amp - however I'm not really looking at high end stuff - more the change I have in my pocket end of the spectrum - which is currently a $5 TEAC (1979) unit and a $10 AKAI (mid 70s) unit.
 
snip snip

Does anyone else have gear they don't use and have bought purely "because"? If so what were you reasons, or am I just crazy and moved into hoarding territory!

I have a tendacy to buy frequency equalizers. I have an AudioSource One, ADC, MXR, and a Soundcraftsman. None are hooked up but all are restored. One of these days I'll ....... nah, I admit it, I have an accumulation disorder. :o
Admitting you have a problem is the first step. Well, second step, after you buy that silver faced cassette deck.:D
 
I have a tendacy to buy frequency equalizers. I have an AudioSource One, ADC, MXR, and a Soundcraftsman. None are hooked up but all are restored. One of these days I'll ....... nah, I admit it, I have an accumulation disorder. :o
Admitting you have a problem is the first step. Well, second step, after you buy that silver faced cassette deck.:D

Heh, well now that you mention equalizers... I also have my eye on a silver faced one of those too... ;)

My biggest problem is it's hard to find gear down here. On eBay USA there's a few pages of reasonable cassette decks, here in Australia there's, um, 5 decks, not all of which are in working order.
 
I have a Pioneer CT-F1250, very nice deck. Just picked up a Technics 1981 RS-M205 deck with dual meters free off Craigslist. I also have a Scott dual and a Yamaha Natural Sound dual deck out on a shelf in the garage. Just can't help it.
 
Myself I have a Sony TC-RX311 (Auto reverse, Dolby B-C HX Pro, MPX filter, 2 color Florescent display). It performs well, in playback and recording. Doesn't get used much nowadays, but it's a keeper.
 
Where in Aus are you ejecta? I'm in Tassie, which most people would think is a bit light on for vintage audio bargains.
I found a mint Pioneer CT-F1000 to match my sa-7500 (cost about $10)
Got a Nak 1000 Tri tracer ...matches nothing and along with a Marantz 1060 amp cost a bit more..$180 total. Akai GXC-730D for $5...it plays tapes in reverse.
They're my 3 head decks and I have 4 pretty good 2 head models, Yamaha, Onkyo and Teac. These get thrown at me. Aagh no smilies on quick reply
Luckily (or not) I have the time to spare so I go to the auctions most weeks and this is where I've got nearly all my stuff...try it out in your area and keep your fingers crossed.
Good luck
 
Back
Top Bottom