• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage CD?

janikphoto

Lunatic Member
Are there any CD players that look like they belong with a vintage stereo? And, what brand/model would you consider to be a "must have" vintage/early CD player? I could just pick up another denon 5 disc for $20, as I've seen a few at local thrifts and my two modern systems also use denon changers... but, the vintage system wants something different.
 
Register to hide this ad
Are you talking about one that would have a silver face and bouncing needle meters??? That would be cool.
 
Are you talking about one that would have a silver face and bouncing needle meters??? That would be cool.

That definitely WOULD be cool... but, I just mean something that doesn't look 20-30 years newer than the rest of our vintage gear. I remember when CD's first became popular, and the looked distinctive modern. In a sort of cheesy 80's way.


There are several silver faced CDPs of the first generation out there (Philips, Magnavox, Marantz, Meridian, etc). For example, have a look in here:

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/philips_cd100_first_cdplayer/

and here

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123973

thanks! I'll check out the links...
 
Stumbled across this the other day. A Realistic CD-3000. Yes it Realistic, but hey.... its silver!


Im attempting to do the same as you; find a cd player that wont look cheesy next to vintage gear. I was thinking of purchasing a broken slimline tuner or something and retrofitting it with cd internals. Fun project but would def take a little bit of time.
 
As long as you can find a vintage CD player CHEAP enough.
Any CD player earlier than 1990, is generally living on....borrowed time.


Steve
 
As long as you can find a vintage CD player CHEAP enough.
Any CD player earlier than 1990, is generally living on....borrowed time.


Steve
Borrowed time? Too funny. http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1986/ page 2. I've had mine since new and still works great. Only it doesn't, IMO, meet the "vintage" look criteria. Haven't seen any, in any of the links thus far, that would be vintage looking to me. But hey, they weren't supposed to be. They were designed to look "modern" and "futuristic". Otherwise who would buy one?

Here's an idea. Wrap one with a nice wooden enclosure. That alone would give the illusion of being vintage.
 
Some of the older CD players won't play certain CD-Rs well or at all. That may be a consideration.

Making your own wooden enclosure or just wood side panels is a good idea.
 

Realistic CD 3000 by cog_sinister, on Flickr

That is crazy looking!

I love that Realistic player! But I wonder who actually made it and who branded it?

Toshiba XR-P9

6816458285_6732d5fdd4.jpg
 
Borrowed time? Too funny. http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1986/ page 2. I've had mine since new and still works great. Only it doesn't, IMO, meet the "vintage" look criteria. Haven't seen any, in any of the links thus far, that would be vintage looking to me. But hey, they weren't supposed to be. They were designed to look "modern" and "futuristic". Otherwise who would buy one?

Here's an idea. Wrap one with a nice wooden enclosure. That alone would give the illusion of being vintage.

A lot of the early Realistic CDPs were made by well-known Japanese manufacturers. At least some of the early models were rebadged Toshibas. I have one that's still running in a vintage Realistic system but it's black. This silver one looks interesting and would certainly sync with a vintage system. My unit was refurbed by the seller and works better than expected.

Sounds decent too!

Good Luck!

cnh
 
I do see some of the older Magnavox players coming up for sale. Probably a good way to go for vintage.
 
check out a Kyocera, they have several models, I have a 310 and a 710, the 710 has a video out which you can run to a monitor. They all are silver face with wood sides and match real well with old receivers, and they are a dedicated 2 channel unit strictly for cd
 
Some 80's Denon players were also available in silver aluminum version.

Are you talking about one that would have a silver face and bouncing needle meters??? That would be cool.

CP players with VU meters.... they are so cool.... Technics had one, the SL-P50P

TechnicsSLP50P.jpg


technics_slp50p
 
Back
Top Bottom