• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Components or Sonos?

gillsev

Well-Known Member
18127063995_a0b1f83d5e_k.jpg


This is presently my main 7.1 system for music as well as for movies (although I'm only using 5.1). They have all been gradually acquired since the days before WiFi with constant component upgrades through the years. So now I've made my castle and I'm perfectly satisfied and happy with it. I like to see my components play my music (especially my turntables), and not just hear music by pressing a button such as the new generation of compact multi-room sources like this one ...

sonos-570x290.png


Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the new SONOS system could match the sound of true Hi Fi the way our old vintage components would generate them. Yes, it's more convenient with its wireless and multiroom capability. Maybe if I had nothing at all to start with, I might go with it, but now that I have amassed my throne entertainment system, it's too late for me to turn my back on them now :D
 
Register to hide this ad
You can stream music from your turntable through your home with Sonos. :thmbsp:

And you don't have to use the Sonos amps or speakers, you can plug a Connect right into an AUX input on your vintage receiver. :thmbsp:

I have 3 turntables, but also use a few Connects. They are very handy, flexible, and not evil.
 
I'd stick with what you have. But, Sonos might complement your system by piping music to your garage, shed, dog house, upstairs bathroom, etc.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the new SONOS system could match the sound of true Hi Fi the way our old vintage components would generate them.

So, how do you account for the guy who sold his Harbeth C7's, and replaced them with a pair of Sonos Play:1's and a Sonos sub? He says they sound every bit as good as the Harbeths, which are known to be pretty good speakers. Is he lying?

I can't think of any vintage speakers with built-in bi-amplification and DSP correction, making them flat within +/- 3dB from 70Hz - 20KHz in boxes the size of Minimus 7's. Can you?

Any vintage systems that can play the same source simultaneously in 32 rooms, in perfect sync, wirelessly? Moisture resistant and small enough to fit easily in a bathroom or kitchen, and still sound good, with no wires?

Of course, you can add a Connect to any vintage system, giving you access to 60 streaming providers as well as your own music on a NAS, your PC, or your phone, with a great search engine that crosses them all. If you're at all interested in listening to a wide variety of music, that's a good thing.
 
I don't even know what Sonos is, & I'm not selling my McIntosh for it. :nono:

It's not a replacement for the beloved Mac, think of it as a CD player with millions of CDs loaded that you can play a different track in every room and control it all by remote control.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the new SONOS system could match the sound of true Hi Fi the way our old vintage components would generate them.
I think you might be surprised if you refer to using one of those vs. a conventional CDP. I replaced a pretty nice GamuT CD-1 player years ago for similarly featured (but no longer available) Logitech Touch players. My players and the Sonos can be used with an external DAC of your choosing for better fidelity.

For me, the convenience of having a single digital library - accessible instantly from multiple systems and controllable via smartphone or pad - is incredible. I spend more time listening than shuttling disks in and out of jewel cases and drives. And have re-discovered content from my collection I had forgotten about.
 
For me, the convenience of having a single digital library - accessible instantly from multiple systems and controllable via smartphone or pad - is incredible. I spend more time listening than shuttling disks in and out of jewel cases and drives. And have re-discovered content from my collection I had forgotten about.

Amen to that!:thmbsp:
 
i have upgrade many times over the years, but i don't see getting rid of any of the Sonos i have.
 
I have no experience with Sonos but with those prices I am glad I got the Volumio running on my Raspberry Pi. It was 1/10th of the cost and with all the vintage gear I have, I can get all rooms served with wireless music as well.
 
http://www.amazon.com/Phorus-PR5-Re...ie=UTF8&qid=1433118004&sr=8-2&keywords=phorus

http://www.amazon.com/Phorus-PR1-Re...ie=UTF8&qid=1433118004&sr=8-3&keywords=phorus

These Phorus units cost about $180 or $100, depending on which one you get. Either one is much much less than a Sonos system, and have multi-room wireless audio streaming. The DAC in these is pretty good... Wolfson. The higher-priced one is dual band for improved wireless streaming. I have the PR1 and it works well with an occasional glitch. It was the solution for me versus the expensive Sonos.
 
http://www.amazon.com/Phorus-PR5-Re...ie=UTF8&qid=1433118004&sr=8-2&keywords=phorus

http://www.amazon.com/Phorus-PR1-Re...ie=UTF8&qid=1433118004&sr=8-3&keywords=phorus

These Phorus units cost about $180 or $100, depending on which one you get. Either one is much much less than a Sonos system, and have multi-room wireless audio streaming. The DAC in these is pretty good... Wolfson. The higher-priced one is dual band for improved wireless streaming. I have the PR1 and it works well with an occasional glitch. It was the solution for me versus the expensive Sonos.

That looks pretty promising for folks not wanting to dish out for the Sonos units, good to hear from someone using it!
 
I have the PR1 and it works well with an occasional glitch. It was the solution for me versus the expensive Sonos.

The reviews, on Amazon and professional, aren't exactly encouraging. Ya gets what ya pays for...

The system is a wireless bandwidth hog. Sound quality can suffer if there is congestion on your network with the sound closing in upon itself. Playback of any file format other than MP3 is spotty or doesn't work at all. The system suffers from frequent connectivity issues, even when wired. Initial streaming service support is limited to Pandora, unless you use Bluetooth. There's no Ethernet without purchasing a separate adapter.

The Bottom Line While the Play-Fi standard offers plenty of potential, the Phorus PR1 is currently too limited in its scope and performance to warrant buying over a Sonos.

from CNET. Note that Sonos doesn't use your WiFi at all, as it has its own wireless mesh network. Every Sonos device participates in the mesh, so the more you have (up to 32 nodes), the better the coverage. It's well known to be glitch- and dropout-free.
 
The reviews, on Amazon and professional, aren't exactly encouraging. Ya gets what ya pays for...

from CNET. Note that Sonos doesn't use your WiFi at all, as it has its own wireless mesh network. Every Sonos device participates in the mesh, so the more you have (up to 32 nodes), the better the coverage. It's well known to be glitch- and dropout-free.

Chicks... I read that review which came out quite early after the PR1 was released. I think that the software has been improved since. My unit is not glitch-free, but again it suits my needs well.
 
Hi,

As others have said, I would try the Connect first. You might be able to find a used one on your local CL as did I. I use my Connect with an external DAC (though not necessary), which is connected to my SX-1250, and plays through my Klipsch. I am extremely happy with the results.

I don't think it's a question of vintage OR Sonos. You can have both, and it won't disappoint.

One other thing to consider would be the need for a NAS to store all the digital files (assuming that you don't have this already).
 
If they would drop the price of the Connect to $99, they'd sell truckloads. You can now get a pair if Play:1s for the price of a Connect. Different audience, I know. Maybe they figure it would cannibalize sales of their speakers? :dunno:

Suppose I shouldn't try to second guess a company that's gone from startup to $1 Billion in annual revenues in what, 12 years? With just nine hardware products. They obviously know what they're doing.
 
1970 meets 2016

I bought a sonos zp90 connect on ebay. Currently have it connected to my mcintosh MAC 1700 receiver and klipsch RF-5 speakers. Have to say it sounds pretty nice. An added benefit is being able to use the sonos app on my phone as a remote control. Nice being able to pause and volume up /down without having to walk over to the receiver. The sonos products are so easy to use they are addictive. After receiving a sonos play1 wireless speaker as a gift, I decided to give the Sonos connect a try with my vintage gear.

I bought a used sonos. The connect sells for $349 new. If you are willing to risk no warranty you can about $100 buying used device.

I had trouble adding it to my wifi and existing sonos network. After a quick google search, I performed a factory reset and then temporarily connected it directly to my router so it would update the device. After that I was able to move it and use the device with wi-fi connection only.

Very happy with the Sonos ZP90 connect!
 
Last edited:
Music Server KT style needs no Sonos, no NAS, no stinking CD. Three turntables, records easy to get to, bombproof good cartridges. Vinyl and 1/2 track open reel tapes call the tunes, laptops available at each station if streaming desired.
 
Back
Top Bottom