• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage gear in home theatre?

I recently put together a HT setup using a pair of AR-3a's for the front channels, AR-2ax's for the rear surrounds and, for now, an AR-1ms for the center channel (I'll probably change it out for something bigger later). No sub; with two AR-3a's in the system, none seems to be needed.

I needed new amplification anyway, since my old amp had a disagreement with a mover's forklift during our last relo.

I chose my HT pre/power pair (Sherwood Newcastle) because the pre has MM and MC phono inputs, the ability to configure almost all of its many inputs for either analog or digital, a real tape monitor/EPL loop and "analog direct" and "tone direct" settings that bypass all the digital stages and turn the unit into a straight analog stereo preamp.

The biggest headscratcher for me is trying to decide where to set the tone balance when the system is in HT mode. I can tune the system to produce fairly real-sounding reproduction of voices, music, etc., or fairly real-sounding reproduction of movie theater sound (which has never sounded anything like "being there" to me, but is still a unique experience all in itself). So I'm on the fence trying to decide whether I prefer my movies to sound like "being there," or like being in a movie theater...
 
Last edited:
I'm thinking of going the the vintage direction for sound in my system. Thinking of Klipsch Cornwall's as the mains with a custom made bass unit. Heresy center. Not sure about rears yet due to space restrictions. Would the cornwalls/heresy be a good match?
I'm pretty sure they will provide enough low end! Could anyone suggest a good/affordable processor?
 
I'm thinking about going this route as well.
I've got a whole new HT setup, still in the process of getting things finished up. Have to paint speaker grills and do touchup/etc.

I'm wondering about perhaps just putting a tube amp in to power my main front R/L in-wall speakers (Polk LCi-RTS105 4 ohm @ 92db sensitivity). I've got 10" in-wall subs powered by a separate 250 watt amp so the tube amp would just be for anything above 80hz or so.
I do not use a center channel.
What I would want to do is just use the preamp outs for R/L and keep all control/switching/etc on the Onkyo TX-SR806 receiver.
I realize this is typically the opposite of what people do (SS preamp and tube amp), but I wonder if others have done this?
I've been looking at a Dynaco ST-70 as a possible candidate as they are in the ballpark of what I'm willing to spend at this time and seem like a good choice to get things started. I'm open to ideas though.

I am pretty new to tubes!
The only tube gear to date is a couple Yaqin tube buffers.
I also have analog audio production equipment. My ears can def. hear the difference btwn analog and digital.

Pics of the HT (and the rest of the basement remodel) @ http://picasaweb.google.com/levlhed/BasementAlmostDone#
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom