• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Hafler vs. Dynaco SS -just wondering!

Guest101

Super Member
I'm curious.:scratch2:
After D. Hafler moved from Dynaco to start Hafler how does the early Hafler amps and preamps compare to the Dynaco SS units?
Namely the early Hafler DH-200/220 amps and DH-101/110 preamps compared to the Dynaco Pat-4 & ST-120.
 
Register to hide this ad
Wow, what a question... The Hafler stuff was a good two generations ahead in SS technology, and obviously superior in sonic results. Build quality was about the same, however. I remember a lot of trouble with switches, etc.
 
I should have included the later Dynaco A400/410/416 amps and Pat5 preamps compared to Haflers DH200/220 amps and DH101/110 preamps.
I'm curious if Dave Hafler had some new design up his sleeve when he left Dynaco. It seems like Dynaco is still more collectable than early Hafler and I'm wondering why.
 
The Dynaco tube era gear seems highly desirable and the big Dynaco amps(400/410) fetch lofty prices but the mid-era stuff (pat4/5,st120,80)goes pretty cheap on that auction site.

I had a st70 and still have my kit built sca35,st120 and 2 pat4's.
 
Back
Top Bottom