• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Vintage Jensen industrial drivers? Worth saving?

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
Anyone know anything about Jensen speakers, I am assuming vintage, used in a town theater, approx. 12" to 15"?

I have a friend wanting to drop off 8-16 of them to me, pulled a few years back from these cabinets he says were massive.


I have no use for them, just wondering if it's worth my effort for anyone to go after these.

Or are they possibly junk, low quality drivers?



I've no clue about the Jensen stuff. I know if it said Altec I'd best grab them.



But Jensen?



please enlighten me, and cure my ignorance.
 
Register to hide this ad
there is one vintage Jensen(model escapes me) that sells for $5000 and up, a pair!!
 
Best if you take them, and distribute them evenly amongst the 1st 4 people who respond in this thread. :D
 
I'm in! :D Could be great, could be crap, but definitely worth a look. As Bolly said, some early Jensens are $$$.
 
Any reference sites you recommend?


This is going to require some effort and some discomfort on my part.

I just want to be sure the effort is for something worthwhile and not some toss-away drivers that aren't worth diddly-poop.



By the way- this isn't an offer to sell them, but just to see if it's worth the effort.

That said, I'll gladly post an add in AK if this turns out, and indeed will share first with my AK friends.

A pm would be best.




Another note- this person can sometimes take a while to get back to me. He's eager to move these, but he also owes me a pair of 1975 Firebird springs from about 21 years ago.
 
Most Jensen speakers (old) were really good.. if these are pro speakers, I wouldn't be passing them up.. usually very decent and very effecient..
 
Heh. Just teasin' about the speakers, Deli. I've never found any old Jensens to play with, but it'd be fun, I think.
 
Best if you take them, and distribute them evenly amongst the 1st 4 people who respond in this thread. :D

Heh. Just teasin' about the speakers, Deli. I've never found any old Jensens to play with, but it'd be fun, I think.

Glad to help anyone out if these turn out to be decent.:thmbsp:


Just want to stick by AK's rules.


And just want to find out first, if they are decent, or bunk.:yes:
 
If they are truly from a theater installation, then they are definitely worth a look. There are a lot of collectors of 50's vintage (and earlier) Jensen drivers although only the models mentioned here (G-610's and RP-302 Tweeters) plus the 30's vintage theatrical 18" woofers and Model Q horn tweeters tend to fetch high prices. If they are in good physical condition they could be sold on fleabay for something whether they have field coil or alnico magnet structures. We want to see pictures! (lol)
 
I'll keep you posted, fellas.

I haven't seen 'em myself.

When I asked my friend, all he said was "they're heavy, big F#@kers!" and "Had to remove them from the cabinets because the cabinets were just too g@$$!mned big, you know?!"


So, hopefully they're okay condition and half decent.

He was shop steward for a company that laid cable.
 
Glad to help anyone out if these turn out to be decent.:thmbsp:


Just want to stick by AK's rules.


And just want to find out first, if they are decent, or bunk.:yes:

I'm pretty sure you could tell, from the "shi*-eating-grin" smiley, that I was 90% joking. But remember, if they turn out to be something really cool, that I was about 10% serious. ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom