• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Kenwood?

EchoWars said:
I've rebuilt three Model 600's now...and I gotta agree, they do suck to work on, but I've heard no other integrated amp that can touch it. :thmbsp:

Yes, they are hell to work on. Sort of like getting your hand behind the dashboard of a small car!
I got mine from a buddy who was closing his repair shop. He gave me pick of the unclaimed items. I paid him $5 per piece! I got this amp non-working. After I fixed the problem in the output stage, and replaced the main electrolytic caps that leaked, I found it was missing the pc board for the regualted power supply! Grrrrr! I wasn't about to give up on it. I built a supply board on a perf-board, following the schematic and keeping close to the original layout. I found a perf-board at Marlin P. Jones that had plug - in pads on it, so I could plug it in to the socket in the amp! Powered it up, good as new!
A good trick to use when working on one of these is to connect the amp board to an external power supply when you think you have the problem fixed, before you put it back into the chassis. It really helps to have a variable supply that can go up to +/- 40V to check stuff out. You can watch the current, set the voltage to a lower voltage during checkout until you're sure it's ok, etc. You can do pretty much the same thing with a variac, but you don't get to monitor the current, though.
 
Impressive. The original is on an edge connector...what didja do about that? Hardwire after removing the connector?
 
EchoWars said:
Impressive. The original is on an edge connector...what didja do about that? Hardwire after removing the connector?

No, I bought perf board that has pads for an edge connector on it, from www.mpja,com. I think it was this one:
http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=8999+PB
I hand wired the circuit and connected it to the pads on the board edge. ( I cut the board to size before building the circuit) Plugged it in and presto, power supply!
 
Congratulations axel and ilimzn on an excellent write up. I see that you have scanned in the pics from the official Kenwood brochure plus added a few extra of the internals. You have both provided far more information and insight than what was already available in the complete and thorough brochure. :thmbsp:

I feel very fortunate to own a Model 600 and 600T and hope to send the 600 to EchoWars for a checkup at some point, provided he is willing and the money can be set aside. Thanks to you also EchoWars for writing about the 600 over the last couple of years. More thumbs! :thmbsp:
 
Timoteus,

Thanks!
I provided the brochure, specs and layout but it is ilimzn who provides the insight :-)

I'll be posting the 700 models soon (700C, 700M, 700T).
All Supreme models remind me of 1920s/30s cars: even when they're stopped they give you the impression that they ARE in movement...
 
Back
Top Bottom