• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Luxman out to SVS Sub, line or speaker level

Jenkster

When I had talent
Subscriber
I recently picked up a Luxman C-02 pre-amp and M-120a amplifier. Speakers are Boston Acoustics VR-M60’s that I want to use with a SVS SB-1000 sub. My question is, if I use the A speaker outs to the Boston’s and the B to the sub, could that over tax the amp? I’m not sure what kind of load the sub has. Or, would I be better off using the second pre-out on the pre-amp? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Won't the built-in amplifier carry the load of driving the sub, so there's only a nominal load on the power amp? That's been the case with my (much more modest) subs. Typically, though, I feed the output from the pre-amp into the LFE input on sub, then run the Line Level output to the power amp. This way, the low-level filter in the sub ensures that the sub is taking care of the lowest frequencies and the speakers are taking care of the mids and treble. (Or have I missed something?)
 
No, you didn’t miss anything, you are correct sir. It’s been awhile since I used a modern sub with separates. Thank you, I will give that a try.
 
Taking the bottom out of the mains with the subs crossover is an option you have. Sometimes it really helps the mains to not have to do the lowest octave or two.

Otherwise I'd run the two pre outs to sub and amp running the mains full range.

Give em both a try. See what you like. Option 2 above is how Magneplanars respond best, run em full tangs and only use the sub to fill in as little as possible the very bottom end, not audible just felt.
 
Back
Top Bottom