• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage or New?

ssny13

New Member
What sayeth the AK royalty for my first turntable—vintage Technics SL-Q2 or new Audio Technica ATLP60? The downside to the Technics is needing a preamp, while the downside to the Audio Technica is the inability to change cartridges. FWIW, I’ll be using it with a vintage Rotel RX-402 receiver.
 
Register to hide this ad
What sayeth the AK royalty for my first turntable—vintage Technics SL-Q2 or new Audio Technica ATLP60?

The downside to the Technics is needing a preamp, while the downside to the Audio Technica is the inability to change cartridges.

FWIW, I’ll be using it with a vintage Rotel RX-402 receiver.

While you wait for the AK royalty to respond, do some research on those items. :)

Technics SL-Q2.
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-q2.shtml

No need to get a preamp if you will be using the Rotel RX-402.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/rotel/rx-402.shtml

It had a phono input build in.
 
The turntables I enjoy using the most are from the 1960's. Not that much younger than I am. None are esoteric or broadcast standard, just consumer HiFi products.

They work well so there's never been any temptation to explore modern offerings. But anything vintage and motor driven takes a bit of commitment.

I appreciate that some people prefer to buy new and for legitimate reasons - like a warranty. I'm not one of those and just prefer the things I envied when much younger.

It's an illogical sentiment but a device such as a turntable must speak to me - elicit an emotion.

It might be interesting somewhat to learn what fate had befallen on those new AT turntables in twenty or twenty-five years.
 
Last edited:
This is just like voting in the US. Get 2 preselections and believe that you have a choice... North pole and South pole.

There are so many choices out there. Don't keep staring at specs, this 'royal' can tell you they are totally meaningless. Lies, statistics and specs... Different expressions, same result.
Direct drives are not my first choice, any that I have heard make the music sound sterile and lifeless. Good for dj's bc of quick start, and only the non pll quartz controlled, real high end ones that weigh a ton are any good.
 
I haven’t looked at spec’s at all as they tell you nothing about the sound or the operation (does it sound good to your ears, is it a joy to operate, etc.). That said, being my first turntable, I appreciate the input re: drive types. Can you explain why the type of mechanism simply turning the platter would change the sound? Remember, I’m new, so please be gentle.
 
The Technics is a much better table IF it is working properly. Most vintage turntables need some level of refurbishment like cleaning and re-greasing moving parts, new electrolytic capacitors, and possibly a new stylus. This can be an exercise in frustration if you don't enjoy that sort of thing.

I would avoid the Audio Technica ATLP60. My local record shop has one for testing records and while it works OK it is a cheap and crude turntable. If you want something new that is of decent quality that is still reasonably priced, I would look at the Fluance RT80, Teac TN-300, or the basic U-Turn Orbit.
 
I recently got an SL-D2 for practically nothing. Needed cleaned up and a new cartridge / stylus. After taking care of all that, it looks and sounds great! From what I've read, they're great workhorse tables that will run a LONG time.
 
I recently got an SL-D2 for practically nothing. Needed cleaned up and a new cartridge / stylus. After taking care of all that, it looks and sounds great! From what I've read, they're great workhorse tables that will run a LONG time.
I’ve read the same thing.
 
FYI, the AT-LP60 has been replaced by the new AT-LP60X, which has a redesigned tonearm for better tracking, a voltage-regulated motor for better speed stability, and other improvements. It is available in various versions, such as including USB, Bluetooth, or a built-in headphone amplifier.

 
FYI, the AT-LP60 has been replaced by the new AT-LP60X, which has a redesigned tonearm for better tracking, a voltage-regulated motor for better speed stability, and other improvements. It is available in various versions, such as including USB, Bluetooth, or a built-in headphone amplifier.

I read that. I also read some people have had problems with the control arm (skipping, incorrect starts, etc.)
 
Technics without a doubt, unless they were run over by a truck the vintage Technics just wont die and good chance they need nothing more than a dusting.
 
@ssny13 Something to keep in mind... While the Technics might be a more reliable choice down the road, it is definitely a more expensive one when it comes to repairs & spare parts. In other words, for as long as SL-Q2 is working fine, there won't be any problems, and it would probably be a better investment than LP-60. BUT, when something DOES go wrong (and yes, something eventually will, sooner or later) it will cost you money to repair - especially if you're not skilled or fully confident to do it yourself.

Technics (Panasonic) tables are by far one of the most durable & recognizable models out there but this quality, experience & durability almost always comes at the steep price.
 
One way to go is to own at least one modern and reliable budget turntable while pursuing vintage projects that hold the promise of eclipsing the capabilities of decks already owned. I'm preparing to explore the world of vintage Thorens sprung turntables while already owning a couple of modern budget machines. If I decide to do tear downs, refurbishing, etc, the modern machines will keep discs spinning and me happy while I work on the others, knowing that the Thorens machines may sound better than my budget decks when all is said and done.
 
One way to go is to own at least one modern and reliable budget turntable while pursuing vintage projects that hold the promise of eclipsing the capabilities of decks already owned. I'm preparing to explore the world of vintage Thorens sprung turntables while already owning a couple of modern budget machines. If I decide to do tear downs, refurbishing, etc, the modern machines will keep discs spinning and me happy while I work on the others, knowing that the Thorens machines may sound better than my budget decks when all is said and done.
Nicely said... I had a (mis)fortune of working & restoring an old TD 110, which according to its owner sat on his shelf for decades & hasn't been used, but was (and I quote) otherwise in good condition. In reality however, that thing needed to be repaired & restored from top to bottom. New belt, new stylus, oiling the motor bearings, bypassing the seized up "33" toggle switch, new RCA leads and replacing cue mechanism spring, for the tonearm lift.

Was it worth it, in the end? ... Maybe for the owner, yes (who got all this work for free & received a fully working Thorens with brand new Stanton 500E stylus) but not for me, and definitely not for someone who is not experienced with these sort of repairs.
 
Back
Top Bottom