• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Pioneer DT-500 Display Glitches - Seeking Repair Advice

coiso231

New Member
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a vintage Pioneer DT-500 Audio Digital Timer and hitting some perplexing display issues. I believe it's an NE model (220V 50Hz, no external voltage/frequency switches). This unit was not used and not connected to electricity for over 20 years before I recently powered it up.

The Display Problem (with examples): The VFD display shows specific, consistent errors for certain digits, but it's a bit complex:

  • A "3" in the tens-of-minutes position displays as a "9" (e.g., 0:32 shows as 0:92). The "0" and the "2" in this example are correct.
  • A "2" in the tens-of-minutes position often displays as an "8" (meaning an extra 'f' segment, top-left, is lit).
  • A "1" in the hours position (e.g., 1 o'clock) often displays with an extra 'e' segment (bottom-left) lit.
  • For example, a time like 1:23 will display looking like "1+e : 8 9".
  • Interestingly, not all instances of a digit are necessarily bad all the time, or it depends on the other digits displayed (e.g., the user manual implies that sometimes "1"s can be okay, but the "1:21" example showed errors too).
  • It seems all individual display segments can light up correctly as part of other, correctly displayed numbers, suggesting the VFD tube itself might be okay. (I have photos of these display errors I can share in the comments, e.g., "0:92" and what "1:23" looks like.)
Troubleshooting & Thoughts: I have the service manual (for the S/S G and KU models, which I'm using as a reference for the core logic of my NE model). My initial checks on passive components like resistors and capacitors haven't revealed obvious widespread failures, but I'm still learning.

Given the complex, digit-specific nature of the errors (not just a stuck segment, but incorrect additional segments for certain numbers), especially after long storage, my main suspect is the Q1 MN6076 AC Clock Timer LSI chip. It feels like its internal logic for decoding and driving the display segments has become corrupted or has degraded with age.

What I'm Looking For:

  1. Does this pattern of errors (specific digits being augmented by extra segments) strongly point to the MN6076 LSI chip, especially after long-term storage?
  2. Any advice on what part of the circuit that diode/capacitor connection might be in, if it were a fault, that could lead to these symptoms? (I'm still trying to precisely identify them on the schematic).
  3. Experiences sourcing a replacement MN6076?
  4. Any other tests or things to check on the board before considering an IC replacement? I have a soldering iron and a multimeter.
Thank you for any guidance you can offer! This old timer is a neat piece of gear, and I'd love to see it displaying correctly.
 

Attachments

  • WhatsApp Image 2025-05-15 at 21.30.29.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2025-05-15 at 21.30.29.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 4
  • WhatsApp Image 2025-05-15 at 21.30.29 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2025-05-15 at 21.30.29 (1).jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 4
  • WhatsApp Image 2025-05-15 at 21.30.29 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2025-05-15 at 21.30.29 (2).jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 4
Register to hide this ad
Look at the solder connections to the IC and FL display tube. Check for that brown Sony bond glue anywhere on the circuit board, top and bottom. If any of that crap is found, it needs to be removed. If not near plastic, acetone does a great job of dissolving it! I'm pretty sure there was a thread about a similar issue where someone added some resistors because the IC was deteriorating. I can't find it though.
 
Back
Top Bottom