• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Power Amps with 2 speaker connections

poorman

Well-Known Member
I'm looking into the possibility of using a vintage integrated amp as a pre-amp only, and getting a stand-alone power amp to up the wattage, but I need a power amp that will allow me to run two sets of speakers (one at a time depending on the room I'm in).

I've been looking at some Adcom power amps recently (545, 555), but noticed that they only have one set of speaker terminals. Are there any vintage amps that have two sets of terminals?

Thanks for the input.

poorman
 
Register to hide this ad
Some Yamaha M series have speaker a/b selectors.
What kinda power you looking for?
Yamaha M-4 Typically outputs 155+ @ 8ohm wpc --advertised at 120wpc @ 8 ohm.Two speaker connections..For the money,a real good bargain and performer. I have 3 of them.
Yamaha M-2 Rated 240wpc , most likely will actually put out better than 300wpc.
 
Last edited:
mmmh...

you could use the Amsection of the integrated AND an additional power amp... or is the amp of the integrated defective?


I'm looking into the possibility of using a vintage integrated amp as a pre-amp only, and getting a stand-alone power amp to up the wattage, but I need a power amp that will allow me to run two sets of speakers (one at a time depending on the room I'm in).

I've been looking at some Adcom power amps recently (545, 555), but noticed that they only have one set of speaker terminals. Are there any vintage amps that have two sets of terminals?

Thanks for the input.

poorman
 
The amp section works very well, but is 60 watts per channel. I've been running some B&W speakers which are pretty inefficient, and thinking of upping the wattage.
 
Kenwood "Basic" Series

Most Denon POA-XXXXs

Just about any Japanese vintage amp will have A and B connections. The multi-speaker connections started to disappear with the American and British influenced direct-connection audiophile models in the mid 80s
 
Just get a good quality speaker selector switch so that you don't limit yourself to choice of amplifier.
 
Glen B has got the right idea! A decent speaker selector can be had for under $100 and will let you use whatever amplifier you like

...outside the box! (by adding a box)
 
If you use A&B, chances are you won't be able to balance the volume between the 2 sets speakers. Here are some other tricks you can do that all work great. I'm using each of the below examples on different systems.

Connect a Y connector to the integrated amp PRE-OUT.. Run one leg of the Y back into the Integrated amp MAIN-IN. Run the other leg of the Y to the external power amp. Connect one set of speakers to the Integrated amp. Connect the other set to the External amp.

==================

Use two external amps with volume controls. One for each speaker set. Connect with a Y to the Preamp Out of the integrated amp.

==================

Use a variable level speaker selector switch like the Niles SSVC-2. Connect the Niles unit to your speaker outs. Connect both sets of speakers to the Niles unit.

Niles_Niles-SSVC-2-Black_400x400_s.gif
 
Back
Top Bottom