• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Radio Shack/Realistic Speakers?

I had a PR of optimus 10 2 way 8"woofer 10"PR and tweeter Had wood cab
and sounded good I did like them

Darren
 
Optimus T-200 Speakers

I really like my Realistic Optimus T-200's, and yes - both of the 10" woofers are active! They sound great with my STA 120B or my STA 2100D :music:

//Smorgy
 

Attachments

  • Optimus_T200_Speakers_2.jpg
    Optimus_T200_Speakers_2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 218
I really like my Realistic Optimus T-200's, and yes - both of the 10" woofers are active! They sound great with my STA 120B or my STA 2100D :music:

//Smorgy
Amen to that! I still have the T200s that I bought new way back when. I replaced the foam surrounds a year or so ago. Yours are probably close to deteriorating so keep an eye on them. They are my favorite Radio Shack speakers. I also played them with my now departed STA-2100 but I do have a STA-120B, another one of my all time favorite Realistic receivers. Search around and for T-200, STA-2100 and STA-120B and you will find lots of information on them here.

You have excellent taste in Realistic gear! :D

Edit: My STA-2100 was not the "D" version, but you still have great taste!
 
I did replace the woofers when I got them about 4 years ago. Radio Shack was still selling speakers then, so I got 4 new 10" woofers. But they are 8 ohms and the original woofers were 16 ohms. (16 + 16 = 8, you gotta love that!). So, I had to wire them in parallel instead of series.

I still have the originals, though, and intend (one of these days) to re-foam them and re-install them.

My first real pieces of gear were a STA 65C and Realistic (Miracord) 40 turntable paired up with a pair of Utah 12" 3-ways. It was great for my first purchase back in the day.

When I went searching a few years ago for a STA 65C, I ended up getting the STA 120B and love it. Radio Shack Rocks!

//Smorgy
 
RS and Advents stacked

I know this is really dumb - probably, but in my work area I have a pair of New Large Advents with a Nova 7B stacked on each. At first, the 7Bs were put there just for temporary storage, but when I tried hooking them up I really enjoyed the sound of the combination. The 4 speakers are driven by a Luxman R117.
Old John
 
I loved my Nova 7B's way back in 1977 - clean, clear and crisp. The sound was a little brighter than my Fisher XP-7s. The real charm was stacking the two.

Unfortunately they were too heavy for the move or else I'd still be using them......
 
I have restored many speakers in the Realistic/ Optimus line and found most to be a pleasure to work on. The Walnut veneer was suitably thick, the driver compliments good and the sound value @ cost point usually very good.

Have you restored a pair of Optimus-5B speakers? If so, what did you do? I would like to recap the pair that I just acquired. They are in very good condition. I don't think that the grille was pulled away even once for a peek underneath until I got them!

You can PM me your answer if you like, to keep this thread on track.
 
Got that one too, and the previous version, which is loving referred to as the little red book. The older one was far better technically.

Can you tell me the actual title and/or the RS number on it? i'd really like to find a copy of that. Feel free to PM if that's easier. Thanks!

I've got that book as well as the previous "red book" version:

weemsmediumwt1.jpg


Got me into speaker building too.

This i found and will probably order it as well - thanks for posting the photo!
 
I picked up an STA 2290D Reciever but I can't find much info. Any owners or info would be welcome.

marc mc
 
I picked up an STA 2290D Reciever but I can't find much info. Any owners or info would be welcome.

marc mc

I am not familiar with the "D" version but there is quite a bit of information on the STA-2290 throughout AK. Search "STA-2290" and, among several others, you will find this thread with the RS catalog pages for it: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164244&highlight=STA-2290 . Also, this forum and thread is not the ideal place to seek information on a receiver. After searching you might want to post a request for info in the Vintage Solid State forum. Great receiver by the way!
 
About a month ago I found a pair of Minimus 7w's at the good will for $3 each and fell in love with them. I to remember back in the day everyone talked crap about RS. The truth is they where always great Value speakers, even better then that. I cant seem to get away from these little guys. I keep finding them cheap so now I have 4 pairs. I have done the mods on the xovers and A/B'ed them and the MOD really makes a difference.
Now I am looking to get a set of the LX-5's.

Oh yeah I also have a set of the PRO 44's in the small metal cabs. I found a couple of really old RS speakers in a real nice wood cabinet. They didnt have a model # on them. They are 9" tall and 6" wide. they only had one 4" paper cone driver in them and both where torn. I think I am going to put the drivers and Xovers from the 44's in these cabinets.
 
Plus I remember back in the day, when I used to run a Shack. If you were willing to wait, everything in the store went on sale for half price at least one month out of the year. It may still be that way. It was all divided up into 12 sale sections. Some of all categories.
 
I am not familiar with the "D" version but there is quite a bit of information on the STA-2290 throughout AK. Search "STA-2290" and, among several others, you will find this thread with the RS catalog pages for it: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164244&highlight=STA-2290 . Also, this forum and thread is not the ideal place to seek information on a receiver. After searching you might want to post a request for info in the Vintage Solid State forum. Great receiver by the way!

Thanks, the guy was telling me the model over the phone and he must have thought it was a "D". It is a 2290. I bought it and it works great. He also had a Nova 7b so now I have spare drivers for mine.

marc mc
 
Still have the Minimus-7's that I bought new in September '86... Silver version, to match an old Harman/Kardon SC7 Nocturne music system that I was using at the time. Did have to replace the woofer in one of them, but the other is 100% original. Not using them @ the moment, but have them on hand for when my old Sony STR-6120 is fixed and put back into service. Funnily enough, with that Sony receiver, they will actually go down to 50Hz or so. Just have to flip on the bass boost switch on the back of the receiver. With the switched turned off, they only do about 90-110Hz.

-J
 
Those Optimus 7 speakers are excellent marc mc! Nice looking and well made cabinets too! And yes, Radio Shack did have some exceptional speakers over the years, some better than others, but most were very, very good in their price range. Yours are among the best. I bet they will sound like new again if you replace those 35 year old crossover caps.

Congratulations - and enjoy! :music:

Here is the catalog page from 1973. (And they are still playing and sounding good too. Interesting, isn't it?)

$198.50 in 1973 = $973.70 in 2008

Those are some nice looking cabinets!
 
I have had some time between projects and this allowed me to work on the Optimus 7 Cabs. They are not done but they are getting there.

op7.jpg


You can't beat real wood. The early 70's really was the Golden Age of audio both in sound and construction. We have all been duped.

marc mc
 
Awesome...they look fantastic. That is the one model that has eluded me, i've had many Realistic classics but never the Optimus-7. Maybe someday...
 
Although the 1301 15" R/S speaker is no longer available in the USA and still available in Canada if you can find them they are considered by many to be the "sleeper" of R/S speakers. I've got a set in my Sentry III's and am in no hurry to get the original EV's refoamed. The sound amazing. Anyone in Canada that needs a 15" should pick these up before they are out of stock there too. You will not be disappointed!
 
Those Optimus 7s look great! Nicely done! Please be sure to post some more pictures and let us know what you think if them when you are finished. I really like those speakers. I would love to hear a pair again.

I just dug these Optimus Pro LV10 speakers out for a friend that I am putting a system together for. I haven't listened to them for more than a few minutes when I first got them a year or so ago. Now I have been A-B, or A-B-C-D, comparing them with some other speakers and I am very pleasantly surprised. Those ribbon tweeters do sound very good, especially on jazz and acoustic guitar. The LV10s sound like crap on (c)rap "music", but then again... oh never mind, it really doesn't matter anyway! :D

Also, is that yellow "4.7K" cap a 4.7MFD @ 250 VDC cap and is it the kind that is likely to have changed value over time and will need to be replaced? I think it is a mylar cap of some sort and I seem to recall that they last a very long time but I am not sure. I was going to replace it but may not if there is no reason to do so.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00200 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00200 (Medium).JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC00198 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00198 (Medium).JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC00199 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00199 (Medium).JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC00185 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00185 (Medium).JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC00190 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00190 (Medium).JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC00188 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00188 (Medium).JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC00193 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00193 (Medium).JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00194 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00194 (Medium).JPG
    48 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom