• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

vintage RCA jacks replace or not?

cspyon

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi
Are they any benefits of replacing the old original RCA jacks of vintage McIntosh gear with gold-plated RCA jacks? As far as I know, the techs at Audio Classics basically replace all the old RCA jacks for a good reason. Of course, other techs just leave them alone, as long as they are working fine. Vintage vs modern gold-plated RCA jacks. What do you think?
 
Register to hide this ad
On the earlier units the RCA jacks were pressed fitted to the chassis and after many years especially in a humid climate the metals corrode and you will have issues. C-26 and C-28 are highly susceptible to the issue. Thats one reason I bought my pre-owned C-34 to replace my old C-29 I had almost 30 years. I wanted gold receptacles. In addition to the record selector, graphic tone controls, processor loops, while keeping the mode selector, Loudness control and other favorites. Plus I don't have room for the depth and width of a C-40.

The best thing I ever did for my system was to buy Monster cable Gold RCA jacks with the split center pin and the barrels that dug into the chassis receptacles and make my own cables. I could go over 10 to 20 years without ever having an intermittent connection. I really need to replace the RCA jacks on my SAE program EQ, now. Seems every few years I have to pull the unit and clean the barrels so they are shiny to prevent intermittent ground connections allowing noise to creep into the sound.
 
Thanks for your nice observation and comments. As you said, modern RCA jacks clearly have competitive advantages.
 
Yes, my early C28 jacks were badly corroded so I replaced them all with gold jacks. My concern for replacement is that many modern cables have extremely tight plugs so the jacks must be carefully tightened to be sure they don't loosen up with cable install/removal. The original crimped jacks were still very secure on the panel so I'd say if the originals are secure and cleanable, clean them and leave them.
 
I always replace the input RCA jacks on all my tube amp rebuilds. That includes MC-30's, MC-60's, Dynakit Stereo 70, Dynakit MKIV's and Heathkit W-5M's. I do plan to replace the RCA outputs on my MX-110Z and maybe it's AUX in. Will also probably replace both sets of RCA outputs on my Marantz 7 next time I pull it from my system for maintenance. The old, original tin plated RCA's on the majority of these pieces of gear are just so flimsy and cheap looking. Replacing the jacks on the above mentioned power amps was so very easy it was a no-brainer. Doing the pre-amps will be a more intensive mod which is the only reason I haven't done either, yet.
 
Hi
Are they any benefits of replacing the old original RCA jacks of vintage McIntosh gear with gold-plated RCA jacks? As far as I know, the techs at Audio Classics basically replace all the old RCA jacks for a good reason. Of course, other techs just leave them alone, as long as they are working fine. Vintage vs modern gold-plated RCA jacks. What do you think?

Absolutely. No need to keep using worn and/or corroded RCA jacks. Also a good opportunity to upgrade to significantly higher quality jacks - Cardas, WBT, or Furutech would be my choices. No need to replace all the jacks, just the ones you use, the rest can stay stock saving money and/or allowing you to buy higher end jacks.
 
Last edited:
My recently purchased PL 300 Series 2 has RCA's that are cutting in & out. I have replacement gold plated ones coming. You guys think it's an easy or difficult task? Thanks
 
For me, only when things have gotten to the point there's no alternative. So far, all the original tin jacks have been fine on all the gear in my signature. The only exception is the MAC4100 where some of the jacks don't secure ICs well. This issue seems to be unique to that model.

Otherwise, the only reason I could justify replacing with gold-plated jacks is if climate factors warranted it. So yes, if corrosion issues are frequent enough, going with gold-plated certainly makes sense.
 
Thanks for the reply, 62. The inside connection is definitely shot on both of them. I tried an electronics spray cleaner, which didn't help. They definitely need replacement.
 
I recently replaced the stock (rusty) RCA jacks in my MC240 and was happy with the results. AMA
 

Attachments

  • WhatsApp Image 2025-02-10 at 07.38.53.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2025-02-10 at 07.38.53.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 49
  • WhatsApp Image 2025-02-10 at 07.38.53 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2025-02-10 at 07.38.53 (3).jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 52
  • WhatsApp Image 2025-02-10 at 07.38.53 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2025-02-10 at 07.38.53 (2).jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 46
  • WhatsApp Image 2025-02-10 at 07.38.53 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2025-02-10 at 07.38.53 (1).jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 44
  • WhatsApp Image 2025-02-10 at 07.38.52.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2025-02-10 at 07.38.52.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 50
Are you talking about the connection to the jack or the jack making a connection internally when the cable is unplugged? I might be confused here.
 
In case you wondering I replaced the SAE EQ with a Mcintosh MQ 112 last year. Love that little trim control. But wish it had a 5 KHZ control in addition.
 
Back
Top Bottom