• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"Vintage" receiver

buckeye56

Active Member
Hi. My old Technics SA 205 receiver is super hot underneath on the left side (me facing the front of the unit). It's like this if I listen to the radio, play CD, etc.The right side is cold. Only two bookshelf Polk speakers are connected, a turntable, and a DVD player, but obvs I only use one device or just the radio, at a time. The vents are on the top and there's nothing blocking them, not even a shelf above. The receiver sits on a table. Oh, and when I lean into it, I can "smell" the heat.

So what's causing this, and is it going to blow up or something? I thought if I put some kind of wire/mesh riser underneath it may help, but if the vents are all on the top, then it seems pointless.

As always, thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I'd suggest getting it to someone that knows.
Without understanding you can easily make a small issue a big problem.
To answer you question.
The transistors in the output section are set to an operating point where they conduct ( or don't).
There's a specified value in the service manual ( generally measured across an emitter resistor which sets the operating point.
A manual and a meter are a bare minimum ( maybe mini gripper test leads) to attempt this.
Sometimes you have to do a little digging ( diassembly to get to the pot and or the test point.
I misadustment can cause the transistors to self destruct ( sometimes taking other things out with them.)
 
Is it a new issue that's popped up? Some units will have hot spots in various locations where components dissipate heat.
Either way, if it's concerning to you I'd recommend taking it to a repair shop for a look. They'll be able to tell you if it's an issue or not.
 
I'd suggest getting it to someone that knows.
Without understanding you can easily make a small issue a big problem.
To answer you question.
The transistors in the output section are set to an operating point where they conduct ( or don't).
There's a specified value in the service manual ( generally measured across an emitter resistor which sets the operating point.
A manual and a meter are a bare minimum ( maybe mini gripper test leads) to attempt this.
Sometimes you have to do a little digging ( diassembly to get to the pot and or the test point.
I misadustment can cause the transistors to self destruct ( sometimes taking other things out with them.)
Thank you.
 
Is it a new issue that's popped up? Some units will have hot spots in various locations where components dissipate heat.
Either way, if it's concerning to you I'd recommend taking it to a repair shop for a look. They'll be able to tell you if it's an issue or not.
Nah, not new.. Just fee like it's not really supposed to do this, as I have no memory of how it operated 25 years ago to compare it to, lol/
 
Back
Top Bottom