• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Sansui 5050 or Modern Onkyo TX-SR606?

MuddyBoots

New Member
Hey everyone, first post here. I just got into this wonderful world of vinyl, and I am trying to decide between a couple receivers. In doing so, im bringing up that age old debate, vintage vs modern. I currently have a Technics SL-1200mk2 paired with an Audio Technica AT95E cartridge, Micca MB42X bookshelf speakers, and I just got a little Lepai LP-2020A+ amp paired with a Behringer PP400 preamp. I got the amp and the preamp just to get my foot in the door, and now I'm looking for a little upgrade.

I have a couple options available to me on Craigslist:

A) Sansui 5050 vintage receiver, in really good shape, new bulbs, has been in recent use, for $150.

B) Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver, also in great shape, but for only $60

In my opinion each option has a couple things going for them:

Sansui:
  • Pros: That sweet vintage look, and the great Sansui sound everyone talks about
  • Cons: Relative Price, I wouldn't be able to hook my tv/game console up to it if I decide to in the future

Onkyo:
  • Pros: $90 cheaper, I can switch audio between turntable and the TV/game console
  • Cons: Not as cool looking, I don't know if the sound will be as good as the Sansui
So what are your thoughts? Really I think the ultimate question here is will the Sansui sound significantly better thank the Onkyo? It is more than twice the price. I am also aware that there is the chance with vintage gear that it might need servicing to keep it running.
 
Register to hide this ad
You will get plenty of opinions. For me, its the Sansui hands down. The last few times I've A/B'd a modern receiver with any decent vintage receiver, vintage has won. This includes Yamaha, Onkyo, and HK as modern receivers. The difference was obvious to anyone that heard it. It was in a store setting.

The 5050 is a nice piece and you should easily be able to get your money back should you decide to change.
 
I would go with the Onkyo because I really want my gear to work when I turn it on. I have an Onkyo integrated amp that I like quite a bit. Peace and goodwill.
 
All of my vintage gear works when I turn it on. Most have had nothing more than a deoxit cleaning.
 
I don't know where that Onkyo falls into the lineup but as much as I like vintage especially Sansui I'll take a newer totl receiver over a 5050.
 
it's not TOL. Rated at 90 wpc @ 8 ohm, not even rated to 4 ohm and that's under todays rating system which is not near as critical as what it was back when.

I checked ebay and amazon. Ebay has one for $49.95 with no bids. Amazon has one being sold as used for $99. If one's primary use is listening to music, the Sansui will not be beat in this case. If you want the video functions and multi channel, and willing to compromise on sound quality, then that's a different story.
 
I'd vote for the Sansui as well. For two channel stereo listening the older stereo receivers will usually win. A multi channel surround receiver doesn't usually work that well for stereo.

However, if you have the money and space, you could get both. That way you can have surround sound for TV and stereo for music.
 
That Sansui is so old, and that issue could produce problems at any time. I think it would sound better, but at $150, it's kind of a gamble. The Onkyo would have more life in it, but it probably won't have the sound quality. I'd suggest looking for something from at least the early 80s, like Harman Kardon or Nad.
 
Personally,I'd go with the Sansui. It was made when receivers were built solely as receivers and not home cinema... IMHO,this is where hi-fi went wrong.
 
That Sansui is so old, and that issue could produce problems at any time. I think it would sound better, but at $150, it's kind of a gamble. The Onkyo would have more life in it, but it probably won't have the sound quality. I'd suggest looking for something from at least the early 80s, like Harman Kardon or Nad.

I really have to disagree. The build quality of the Sansui is noticeably better than those two. NAD gear sounds wonderful, I sold it during the time frame you mentioned but then and now, NAD was never known for its reliability. HK unit might be a better choice but their glory days were a few years earlier also with the 430 and 730. Today, its not going to make much difference if a unit is 39 or 33 years old.
 
Hey guys, thanks for all your replies. It really seems like the Sansui is the way to go. Now do you guys think that the 5050 is a good model to get, or should I wait it out and try to find another model? I have heard good things about the 4000, or would they basically sound the same? I didn't mention this previously but this will be used for a small apartment, where we really don't need it to play loud. Sound quality is more important than volume for me right now.
 
I love the 5050 that my daughter has. That unit inspired me to buy a 7070. I feel $150 might be a little high.
 
The 150.00 is a tad high but the fact it has been relamped and is in good shape does mean something. I'd offer less and see what happens. As far as inputs for your tv/game console audio the only inputs on the 5050 that you couldn't use would be the phono inputs. You can use aux and tape inputs for your game and tv audio. And if you need more, there are plenty of add on devices out there for 20-30.00 that will give you an additional 3-5 inputs. I've been an advocate of vintage units like the Sansui because they can be worked on. For the most part, replacement capacitors, transistors, diodes etc are still readily available. On newer units, should something go wrong, generally it is cheaper just to go buy another one as replacement chips and boards are not readily available. Even if you over pay by a few bucks, once the tunes start to flow you'll forget all about the money. I'd say roll with the Sansui, but since it is CL if possible listen to it first. If there's any scratchiness in the controls or detectable issues, it becomes bargaining time!
 
Back
Top Bottom