• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage solid state resurrection

Joe Rubin

New Member
Greetings. New member here with a particular need of collective wisdom. I'm trying to help a friend power up a MC 2105 power amp and a C26 pre amp. While apparently stored well and in beautiful (cosmetic) condition, this equipment has not been fired up in at least 30 years. I am clueless as to how to proceed, other than power them up slowly with a variac. While I'm willing to try, this does not appear to be respectful enough of such iconic equipment. I am interested in the correct path forward to power up, as well as finding local qualified technicians (Washington DC area), and market pricing for these fine units. Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Register to hide this ad
Audio Classics in New York State is where I’d send them if needed. If they were stored well, they may just need recapping. If all of that is good and they seem in good shape using a variac is probably a safe idea but nonetheless I’d fire them, up and see what you’ve got.
 
Those units pair well together! (see my signature:rflmao:)
You could also use a dim bulb tester to be really safe for the first startup - if not the variac should work fine. If the variac has a fuse you could put in a smaller fuse than the unit calls for (slow blow) for the first test also, but, the variac should be fine. Take it slow and give those caps time to wake up.
 
Back
Top Bottom