• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Sony STR-5800SD - General Help

Use either the speaker inputs on the sub and connect existing wires to go to the speakers, or use "Rec" or "Tape" out from the receiver to the RCA inputs on the sub.

You have to adjust the LP and level control on the sub to obtain just the right balance so it is not over powering the original music on the speakers.

There are probably thousands of threads here on how to connect powered and passive sub woofers. Do a search. :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
Speaker connections at the Sony are in series with the A+B or A+C connections, so that won't work with the sub. There isn't a post volume control output so the bass will only sound right if you keep adjusting the level depending on level. The best way to hook this one up is to wire the speaker connections to the sub and the speakers together. I'd go amp to sub, then sub to speakers, but you can go from amp to speakers, then speakers to sub, or both speakers and sub to the amplifier, using only the A connections. Take care not to short any strands between + and - connections at the amp, or the sub, or the speakers.
I would assume it is in the sub's owner's manual.....
 
Use either the speaker inputs on the sub and connect existing wires to go to the speakers, or use "Rec" or "Tape" out from the receiver to the RCA inputs on the sub.

You have to adjust the LP and level control on the sub to obtain just the right balance so it is not over powering the original music on the speakers.

There are probably thousands of threads here on how to connect powered and passive sub woofers. Do a search. :thumbsup:

why do you think it sounded off when I used the rca outputs to begin with, I adjusted everything on it and it had no punch it’s not right, it sounds great if I connect everything to the speaker A terminals, but I heard you need to sequence it properly in order to not blow anything.
 
why do you think it sounded off when I used the rca outputs to begin with
Probably because the rca outputs are fixed level, which means you have to adjust the sub level every time you change the volume, and they don't respond to tone controls or loudness.
 
Probably because the rca outputs are fixed level, which means you have to adjust the sub level every time you change the volume, and they don't respond to tone controls or loudness.

When connecting through RCA the volume never goes to 0, I can put the sun on 0 and it still will make noise..that’s the knob on the sub idk why
 
Tape out and ext adpt outputs are before the volume and balance controls and are fixed levels. That's just the way it is.
 
Tape out and ext adpt outputs are before the volume and balance controls and are fixed levels. That's just the way it is.

The controls on the physical sub are not fixed it gets louder when I increase the volume it just will never go to zero, and also is completely muddy and does not function correctly with rca as I stated to begin with. I appreciate all of the help/info though! I believe the only solution is piggy backing banana clips into the A terminal
 
Back
Top Bottom