• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Speakers?

scot71755

New Member
Hello, I,m new to vintage gear and I recently purchased the following: A Fisher 400 and a Dual 1209 turntable. Now I am looking for speakers. My budget is around $300. Any suggestions. Nothing too big please as wife might get testy. I would prefer some vintage speakers as well, but won't limit myself. Thanks for the help.
 
Register to hide this ad
I listen to all kinds of music really. Jazz, easy listening and rock and roll probably the most. The room is 10x15. Thanks Scot
 
Two speakers that I really like are the EPI 100 and JBL L19. Both have a nice quality of sound. They are both vintage speakers requiring new foam and crossover parts replacement.
 
Big speakers are out well, there goes the K'horns and Bozak CG. However what about the Bozak 302s, Klipsch Cornwalls or something like Forte or Chorus. Of course the safe answer is a set of original The Advent Loudspeaker or a set of Dynaco A-25s. My Fisher 500-C came with a set of The Smaller Advent and the pair did quite nicely. I enjoyed the 500-C with both the Bozak 302s and also a set of Wharfedale W70s. Another is the Klipsch Heresys, I used a pair of IIs with the 500-C and pretty good match.

None of these are that expensive and will do very nicely. Of course size, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
 
I've had a bunch of vintage speakers roll through my place in the past two years, most have left but of what has stayed I like the Dynaco A25s the best. They go really well with my Fisher X202b integrated tube amp. KLH Sixes and 17s, and AR2ax sounded great as well. But this is a question that has probably a hundred answers, which would vary depending on your own taste. Even with all these listed, my more modern Rega Juras sound better than any of them, according to my own taste. The Dynacos come really close to the Regas, though, and the ARs are almost too different to compare
 
Big speakers are out ...

Klipsch Cornwalls...

I guess it's all shades of gray- Cornwalls are definitely smaller than a Khorn, but still "big" in my book! I favor pretty small speakers as a rule though. My Infinity Qbs are already about the biggest I could fit in my place.
 
Big speakers are out well, there goes the K'horns and Bozak CG. However what about the Bozak 302s, Klipsch Cornwalls or something like Forte or Chorus. Of course the safe answer is a set of original The Advent Loudspeaker or a set of Dynaco A-25s. My Fisher 500-C came with a set of The Smaller Advent and the pair did quite nicely. I enjoyed the 500-C with both the Bozak 302s and also a set of Wharfedale W70s. Another is the Klipsch Heresys, I used a pair of IIs with the 500-C and pretty good match.

None of these are that expensive and will do very nicely. Of course size, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

mmm...I heard bozaks on my Fisher when I bought it...it was a really really nice pairing. I think they were Urbans. But I wouldn't call them 'not big' except when in the company of Klipschorns or something like that.
 
My 302s are about mid range size wise in my house. Smallest are Minimus 7s and ADS L-300. The ADS is also nice but it just seems speakers much smaller than the 302s well, just sound small.
 
It might also help if you would add your location to the profile. We're pretty well spread out across the nation, with the exception of all those guys in Michigan/Illinois:tongue:, and you'd probably be invited to listen to someone's setup for asking.

As for your question there are too many speakers to list. Just remember this, if you start with something like Bozak Concert Grands everything else will always be smaller and more wife-friendly.:D
 
Yeah, my perspective could be skewed. After having 4 sets of KLH Nines almost everything is small. I should have realized it when my wife looked at me when I told her the Symphonys were about as small as I could live with as main speakers.
 
Being the size of the room you might consider either Dynaco A25's, AR 12's or AR 48s. Some others to look out for are KLH model 6's which are vintage. Ar-18's would be good if you want a bookshelf speaker.
 
Under the "not limiting myself" category, ie to vintage speakers, I highly recommend just about any of the Paradigm se series speakers. They don't make this particular line anymore, and IMHO these will become more and more sought-after as time goes on. They are solid performers, known for smooth response through the mids, and good bass extension.
 
You can't go wrong with either E.P.I. 100's or Dynaco A 25's. From there, you may experiment with other speakers and might prefer them, but, you will never let either of the previous choices go as they do everything you ask of them and they do it well!
 
KLH 17s. Haven't heard them with a Fisher 400 but they sound very good with my Scott 299.

I also like:
Dynaco A25, A35
Paradigm Titan
KEF 103.2

Curious about:
Snell Type K
Polk Monitor
Epos
Cheaper Ushers
NHT

There are some Spica TC-50's on SFBay Craigslist. Image very well, good midrange but not much bass.

There is also a KEF 103.2 on SFCL with no price given.
 
ADS L-710 or L-810. Both are excellent all round speakers, but I prefer the 710's. They are available and within your price range. The 710's love tubes!
 
Back
Top Bottom