• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage week continues.... Realistic Nova 5's

Wolverine

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
When it rains it pours.....or at least drizzles......

Stopped in at the local GW looking for vinyl when I spotted a pair of Realistic Nova 5's. Not classics from what I understand but for $10 I could not pass them up and I like the sound of the Optimus 5's so I thought these might be OK.

To tally it up in a little over a week I have found the following;

EPI 100's
Realistic Optimus 5's
Realistic Nova 5's
Marantz Imperial 5's

Except for the EPI's these all do not enjoy great reputations but interesting pick-ups in any case......... :D
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Wow, that looks like a "whizzer" cone on the woofer. It decouples from the woofer to give a wider frequency response. I had a coaxial Goodman speaker that used the cone just like this as a full-range speaker in the 60's
 
Wow, that looks like a "whizzer" cone on the woofer. It decouples from the woofer to give a wider frequency response. I had a coaxial Goodman speaker that used the cone just like this as a full-range speaker in the 60's

Yeah it looked a little odd to me but I thought it was interesting and they are intact on both speakers. Have not had a chance all weekend to hook them up or the Imperial 5's.
 
Hum, that "woofer" is intresting. Wonder if you can build a reasonable "full range" single driver speaker with that?
 
Not to jack the thread but I saw some Nova 10's at a thrift for $30 I think. I didnt know anything about them and couldnt get a look at the drivers (the covers were attached some how) so I passed. Wish I had been able to see what condition the drivers where in but I have no use for more speakers anyway...
 
Fast Eddie, that's what the Goodmans did, and the highs were pretty decent, plus they had that "single source" imaging that folks who have Tannoys liked. If that cone is like the Goodmans you could try a single source system with them.
 
i've had a pair of optimus 7's and a pair of nova 4b's. the grills are attached with 4 screws, one in each corner of the grill. i've been told that foster made the drivers. they are built to last, rubber and cloth surrounds. nice cabinet work, too. the tweeter level control switches are the weak link.
 
I picked up the same speaker at a local Goodwill for $7.99. Someone had attempted to refoam the surround with rubber tubing. It was very weird. Mine are the 5b's but look identical to the Nova 5's. They are in the kitchen and sound great for $7.99 plus $6.49 surrounds. My first refoam job.

As for reputations. I let me EARS decide that. Seems to be the only thing I can truelly count on.
 
Those components are not original. I guess you know that by now. The tweeter that someone installed is the cheap (75 cents) pioneer and the "woofer" is a retrofit as well. The original drivers were much more robust.
 
Those components are not original. I guess you know that by now. The tweeter that someone installed is the cheap (75 cents) pioneer and the "woofer" is a retrofit as well. The original drivers were much more robust.

Are you referring to the ones in my original post?
I have never seen these before I picked them so I would not know what the original tweeter/woofer's looked like.

As it is I have currently put them on the local Craigslist since I have no room for them.
 
Even if the sound totally sucks.............................
Hey....look at it this way.....for $10.....you bought a nice pair of well-made wooden cabs.
My crystal ball..... sees a potential DIY speaker project in your future......................

Steve
 
Even if the sound totally sucks.............................
Hey....look at it this way.....for $10.....you bought a nice pair of well-made wooden cabs.
My crystal ball..... sees a potential DIY speaker project in your future......................

Steve

yeah the only problem is I have 2 sets of DCM's, a pair of EPI 100's and a pair of Genesis 10's that are in line first...... :)
 
Back
Top Bottom