• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vinyl to digital: connecting turntable to audio interface?

NW1

Active Member
I don't know if this is the preferred method but I already have a Tascam AI that I use (with Audacity) for guitar & bass to a PC:

us-2x2_main.jpg


For cabling between the turntable (preamp) and AI, which is preferred/better?

RCA to XLR (MIC/LINE)
RCA to 1/4" TS (INST)

Thank you.
 
Register to hide this ad
NW1: According to the spec section of the manual for your Tascam, the intended assignment for the combo jacks is XLR for microphone input use (which you'd typically rather not want for line-level devices due to rather lowish input impedance) and T(R)S for either line-level or instrument input use (depending on the switch setting). That's a pretty usual assigment, although not all prosumer USB sound interfaces share that. Well, and then you've got the choice: Most commercially availabe RCA adaptors and adaptors cables merely sport a TS plug, so that the outer RCA contact is always connected to both the ring and the sleeve contact. However, some commercially availabe RCA adaptor cable variants use the alternative and sometimes preferable connection variant with a TRS plug in combination with a cable with two inner conductors plus shield, connecting the inner RCA contact to TRS tip, the outer RCA contact to TRS ring and the cable shield to TRS sleeve only, which in some cases can help to prevent ground loops (and of course you could alternatively also make such a cable yourself, if you'd like to try that...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Same thing with my Focusrite 2i4.

Me too with a 2i2, but I go one step farther. Since the 2i2 has individual channel levels, if I want to make a quick overall level adjustment, it can be a PITA. So I inserted my Schiit Sys in between. Now I can make an easy overall level adjustment, and still tweak L/R levels. Came in real handy when I was digitizing some cassette tapes.
 
NW1: According to the spec section of the manual for your Tascam, the intended assignment for the combo jacks is XLR for microphone input use (which you'd typically rather not want for line-level devices due to rather lowish input impedance) and T(R)S for either line-level or instrument input use (depending on the switch setting). That's a pretty usual assigment, although not all prosumer USB sound interfaces share that. Well, and then you've got the choice: Most commercially availabe RCA adaptors and adaptors cables merely sport a TS plug, so that the outer RCA contact is always connected to both the ring and the sleeve contact. However, some commercially availabe RCA adaptor cable variants use the alternative and sometimes preferable connection variant with a TRS plug in combination with a cable with two inner conductors plus shield, connecting the inner RCA contact to TRS tip, the outer RCA contact to TRS ring and the cable shield to TRS sleeve only, which in some cases can help to prevent ground loops (and of course you could alternatively also make such a cable yourself, if you'd like to try that...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Yes, the best way is as lini wrote: "connecting the inner RCA contact to TRS tip, the outer RCA contact to TRS ring and the cable shield to TRS sleeve only".
 
I don't know if this is the preferred method but I already have a Tascam AI that I use (with Audacity) for guitar & bass to a PC:

us-2x2_main.jpg


For cabling between the turntable (preamp) and AI, which is preferred/better?

RCA to XLR (MIC/LINE)
RCA to 1/4" TS (INST)

Thank you.

I haven't tried, but I have a dvd recorder that I used to use for tv. It could easily record from LPs and then convert from DVD to mp3, mp4 whatever. Wonder how that would work out. Might have to try.
 
I use a Mcintosh MP 100 phono to line pre-amp. It has balanced and unbalanced analog out puts. It also has digital out puts. I has different load choices for MC cartridges and different capacitive load choices for MM cartridges. Works great. I would look for pre-owned as new ones are a real investment not taken lightly. If you want different equalization curves and a tube sound you want a MP 1100. $$$$.$$
 
Back
Top Bottom