• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Visonik David 502

Never mind, I figured it out. You have to unscrew the bolt of the main coil to loosen the crossover board. You can then carefully lift out the board, but mind the wires of the tweeter. For others I also added photo's of the crossover caps and their values. This applies to the David 502 (3 caps: 33, 10 and 6,8 mfd 100V)!
 

Attachments

  • 20240820_144707.jpg
    20240820_144707.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240820_144719.jpg
    20240820_144719.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240820_145229.jpg
    20240820_145229.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240820_145248.jpg
    20240820_145248.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 36
Just got myself a pair of 502s. I owned a set back in 1979, but was driving them very loud, so the leds were constantly blinking. Returned them to the store and got a pair of Philips 484 instead.

One of the speakers is a tad less bright in treble than the other, so I think a recap might be in order. I never recapped a crossover before. We are talking milliFarads here aren't we, not microFrarads?
 
Picked up a pair of Visonik David 6001 that I plan on restoring. Looks like these have fewer components in the crossover.

I'm curious if anyone here knows what the LEDs are supposed to do. Mine don't seem to light up at all, but I haven't put much power into these speakers yet since they need to be refoamed. Are the LEDs supposed to turn on like a "power is on" indicator, or do they only flash when reaching the limit of the speakers? Based on @tapefan's comment it kinda sounds like the latter.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20251216_222017.jpg
    IMG_20251216_222017.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20251216_222012.jpg
    IMG_20251216_222012.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20251216_222007.jpg
    IMG_20251216_222007.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20251216_222002.jpg
    IMG_20251216_222002.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20251216_221957.jpg
    IMG_20251216_221957.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20251216_222020.jpg
    IMG_20251216_222020.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 7
Just got myself a pair of 502s. I owned a set back in 1979, but was driving them very loud, so the leds were constantly blinking. Returned them to the store and got a pair of Philips 484 instead.

One of the speakers is a tad less bright in treble than the other, so I think a recap might be in order. I never recapped a crossover before. We are talking milliFarads here aren't we, not microFrarads?
The markings on mine are in microfarads. Pretty beefy caps
 
Picked up a pair of Visonik David 6001 that I plan on restoring. Looks like these have fewer components in the crossover.

I'm curious if anyone here knows what the LEDs are supposed to do. Mine don't seem to light up at all, but I haven't put much power into these speakers yet since they need to be refoamed. Are the LEDs supposed to turn on like a "power is on" indicator, or do they only flash when reaching the limit of the speakers? Based on @tapefan's comment it kinda sounds like the latter.
I'm very certain the red LED on all equipped models of David speakers is a tweeter overload indicator. In early david speakers (like the model 30 or 50) the indicator didn't exist and because the speakers were so inefficient (relative to the big box speakers that were common at the time) and very low distortion in combination with the low power (5, 10 or 20 watt/ch) amplifiers at the time that couldn't really handle 4 ohm loads, audiophiles would crank them up so they could actually hear the music and they would inevitably burn out the tweeters or woofers given that the amp would likely be sent into clipping without them noticing. It's a plausible reason as to why you see quite a few of these early David speakers as a single speaker, or ones missing a woofer or tweeter.

In my case I picked up a single David 30 that had an original working tweeter, but the woofer was replaced with a neodymium Vifa unit with a plastic basket that was way too small. So I salvaged the driver out of the enclosure and intend to find an original woofer and a mate speaker.
 
lol, the thread that won't quit!!!

Back in 1979'ish time frame, was walking through stereo store with two sisters of my girlfriend. They had Fleetwood Mac "Don't Stop" as I recall playing.... froze me in place. Returned a day/week/month later and bought a pair. I had LaScalas at home, so didn't need the David's for home..... but put them on the floor in back seat of my car. Sounded fantastic.

1-2 years later, someone broke into car and decided they had higher need of the speakers than I did.

Fond memories of them.
 
Back
Top Bottom