• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Volt Meters... What to Buy Today

Just get a Fluke. I promise you, you'll not regret it. You can place 100% trust in the measurements- something you simply cannot do with cheap meters.
I did it... bought a Fluke 117

And yes - living up to the thread title: Buy "today" from Home Depot for $195.57 "Spring Black Friday" sale.
Sale runs through April 22nd. It's a long day. ;)
 
Last edited:
The Green one is Aneng AN870 and Yellow is a Chinese Market Fluke 18B+ checking BIAS with gold plated probes on my Jasmine Audio Concerto KT88-PP, The Variac output LED Voltage Meter indicated 113V AC this morning (The amp is OK to use between 110V and 120V).

BIAS of the KT88 fluctuates as usual, so it's not real measure comparison, just to picture
Aneng AN870.JPGFluke 10B+.JPG
 
Last edited:
Well, now I'm doing my own research. Looked at Klein multimeters really hard. Passed on those... Now looking at Fluke 17B+

For capacitance testing, here's the specs:

40.00 nF
400.0 nF
4.000 μF
40.00 μF
400.0 μF
1000 μF
0.01 nF
0.1 nF
0.001 μF
0.01 μF
0.1 μF
1 μF
2% + 5
2% + 5
5% + 5
5% + 5
5% + 5
5% + 5

Good enough?

As @whoaru99 mentioned above in post #6, a DMM is great for many things, and a basic check of a capacitor it can often do, but if you truly want to know whether a capacitor is good or failing you need a proper capacitor analyzer that can test all parameters at the rated voltage. With tube gear this is even more difficult because it is unlikely that a tester powered by ~9v of battery can go anywhere near testing a 600V capacitor, and yes it matters.

The same can be said of DMMs with basic transistor test functions; it usually can find good/bad only.
 
As @whoaru99 mentioned above in post #6, a DMM is great for many things, and a basic check of a capacitor it can often do, but if you truly want to know whether a capacitor is good or failing you need a proper capacitor analyzer that can test all parameters at the rated voltage. With tube gear this is even more difficult because it is unlikely that a tester powered by ~9v of battery can go anywhere near testing a 600V capacitor, and yes it matters.

The same can be said of DMMs with basic transistor test functions; it usually can find good/bad only.
That post did make me think about testing capacitance and I looked in to tester specifically for capacitors. For a DMM and testing capacitance I was just looking for as wide of a range as possible, even though still being limited.

I didn't find much here on AK about ESR and/or LCR testers but I did post this in an old thread:
fnirsi-lcr-st1-mini-smart-tweezer-lcr-smd-esr-tester-resistance-capacitance-inductance-continuity-diode-test-measurement-tools?

1775906592915.png

Suggestion are welcome here too. I am in the learning stage. Everything I learned in the early 80's has flown out the window.
And yes I know about the purple tester. It's not my color.
 
Last edited:
For small caps, low-voltage applications, you will be able to get what you need from your DMM. You should be able to do all of the troubleshooting that you need with a DMM.

My point (I guess) is that in higher-voltage caps and large (ex: power supply) caps that are expensive enough to warrant testing instead of wholesale replacement, … an analyzer with higher voltage is necessary.

It hinges a bit on whether you’re using it for testing/troubleshooting or for restoration.
 
For small caps, low-voltage applications, you will be able to get what you need from your DMM. You should be able to do all of the troubleshooting that you need with a DMM.

My point (I guess) is that in higher-voltage caps and large (ex: power supply) caps that are expensive enough to warrant testing instead of wholesale replacement, … an analyzer with higher voltage is necessary.

It hinges a bit on whether you’re using it for testing/troubleshooting or for restoration.
In the beginning... for me... mostly troubleshooting for repairs, later restorations.
 
Not here to convince you, but a 45$ DMM, plus a capacitance tester, plus a ESR tester is enough for basic tasks.

Even if when I do a recap, I normally entirely recap an amp, tuner, etc.

An oscilloscope / DMM Combo is interesting tool too, have two of these

 
There's all kinds of testers on the DIY section test equipment threads. ;)
Somehow I overlooked or missed that section at first. I'm usually good about finding my way around a site. I mean it's not my first rodeo, as the saying goes. This is though my first time here to any great extent. First time on any audio based site. Overall happy here and liking the participation.
 
It arrived today. It's like I spoiled myself. I can afford to do that, sometimes. :banana:
Good luck! BTW, I suggest a 9V Lithium battery (if that's what the unit takes). Alkaline can spill its guts in old age, ruining the circuit.

:thumbsup:
 
Many DMM’s can measure frequency of audio signal, but very few can measure voltage of frequencies from 20 Hz – 20,000 Hz. Without that you can’t use your DMM for tape deck calibration or frequency response of an amplifier. The other important thing (at least for me) is internal resistance of the meter. Typical DMM will have 10 mega ohms, which is OK for most of the work. I personally prefer 100 mega ohms though. Then is the issue of readout. I’m old fashion guy and for calibration work on decks I like analog readout, especially when my meter has dB scale. It makes my live way easier. So my setup is quality analog multimeter, 100 mega ohms, with frequency range to 30 KHz. Then I have mid-priced DMM for measuring DC voltage, resistance, capacity, frequency, etc. USB scope attached to laptop adds more functionality for some work.
 
Back
Top Bottom