• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

volume / balance problem. any ideas?

jsjazz

Active Member
I am currently using a vintage Gladding Audio Mark 200a receiver. My problem is listening to lower volumes. when I turn the volume down very low, I lose much of the left channel. I then have to turn the balance way to the left to compensate. When I crank it up just a bit both channels are fine and sound great! I have cleaned both the volume and balance pots twice with deoxit but my problem is still there? Is this a defect in the balance or volume pot or is there somewhere else I can be looking?
thanks for your help
Jeff
 
Register to hide this ad
sounds like the volume pot is not tracking properly, or just damaged. the only cure is to replace it. or live with it. my PAS preamp has tracking issues too.
 
I'm not familiar with that receiver, but if it has a Tape Monitor switch you might try hitting it with deoxit and working it on and off a few dozen times. I had a similar issue with a Pioneer integrated amp a while back. I cleaned all the pots and everything I thought might cause the problem... nothing helped... right channel still had issues at times. Then someone suggested hitting the Tape Monitor... Problem solved!

Might not be your problem, but easy to try.
 
Are you listening to FM, cd, or vinyl? If you are listening to vinyl check and clean your connections, cartridge contacts, RCA cables - may help - I had a channel dropping off too - it was my TT.

Just a thought.
 
Back
Top Bottom