• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Volume pot replacement for ARC SP9

Giovanni68

Member
HEllo,

I am slowly upgrading my stereo setup but in the meantime I have to make the best of what I have and as such keep using the ARC SP9 whose volume pot is starting to give issues and as such thinking of a replacement until I get a new preamp.

Does anybody know which pot might I get to replace the original one and if it is a hard task to perform?

Thank you

Giovanni
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes, little scratchy but also, when turning volume to min before shooting off I can tell it fails to do its job as if the resistance diminishes, the pre is now in use and a nightmare to remove all the cables to open the top lid, just wondering if anybody gone through such thing and knows which is the pot value and, eventually, to suggest an appropriate replacement like, I suppose, an Alps.

Grazie
 
HEllo,

I am slowly upgrading my stereo setup but in the meantime I have to make the best of what I have and as such keep using the ARC SP9 whose volume pot is starting to give issues and as such thinking of a replacement until I get a new preamp.

Does anybody know which pot might I get to replace the original one and if it is a hard task to perform?

Thank you

Giovanni

Looks like an Alps pot soldered to a PCB. The value should be marked on the pot itself but the schematic says 100K. You can get replacements on eBay. You'll need to unbolt all the pots and back the PCB assembly out to unsolder the pot but it doesn't look that difficult, and you shouldn't need to unsolder any wiring. But I'm only going by this pic:

9E15CBAE-98BF-4C12-A908-7CAC3A3CC609.jpeg
 
Ya, you need to disassemble it first to clean it. I'm guessing it's the one in the middle with four solder points? If so it has a loudness tap. If you replace it get one from a reputable source. There are a lot of fake Alps being sold.
 
Ya, you need to disassemble it first to clean it. I'm guessing it's the one in the middle with four solder points? If so it has a loudness tap. If you replace it get one from a reputable source. There are a lot of fake Alps being sold.

It's the one on the far right, no loudness tap. Fake or not, they're often the only viable replacement. Honestly, it would be easier to replace than try to dissanmble it, IMO.
 
Hello everybody, yes, first on the right, the issue I am having is that before turning it off when I rotate the volume to min it might behave and sound very loud (I'd say noise very loud as usually there is no input when I switch off) and sometimes I can hear a hum like a ground loop, maybe a dry clean as suggested (if I knew what a dry clean is...).
 
Back
Top Bottom