• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

VPI HW-19 Junior MK IV?

62sunbeam

Raconteur
So Ive decided to pull this deck out and get it sorted. It appears to be an amalgam of different VPI HW-19 parts. The deck, motor and tonearm all say Junior but the spec plate says HW-19 Mk IV.

I'm guessing it's a Junior in a Mk IV plinth box.

Does anyone know if the platter, bearing and the deck are still upgrade able with parts available from VPI? Where can I get a belt?
Emails to them have gone unanswered.

Thanks

Eric

image.jpeg image.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
Well I can't really help you that much. But my VPI 3 upgraded to a VPI 4 has a heavy black vinyl platter that must weigh a few lbs or even a few kgs than yours. Being optimistic I might think a vinyl platter might mate well or better with a vinyl LP but that's just wishful logic. I like the look of your TT.

I bought a new belt for my VPI 4 ( I only go 25 years from my old belt such a travesty ) The whole flat earth vs round earth ( belt shape argument) is a real trip. Audiophiles can argue about anything and everything.

I notice tonearms looks like FT3 which I have on my VPI 4. After my upgrade MY FT3 looks too prosaic for this TT. OK I'm being catty. But your TT looks more together and planned for than tonearm. Mine looks more like an after thought.

To reassure you you've got a fantastic TT with all it's imagined faults (I've been their too rest assured)
The FT3 is good but not great but still a cut above. But with limited choices. To get something better will cost.
The real issue is what cartridge will go with your tonearm?
Maybe a Denon 301 II or a Hana LD?
I'm wondering what you thoughts might be. YNMV.

Michael
 
Aside from the color of the wood, that table and arm looks identical to the HW-19 Jr. I have in my speaker system. Have you given it a good listen before trying to upgrade?
 
I've yet to use the table as the belt is a little tired.

I don't know what cart I'll use but the AudioQuest T-1000 I have awaiting a suspension refresh might be an option.

Does anyone know specifically which AQ arm this is?

Thanks

Eric
 
Lots of VPI HW 19 JR TT came with an Audioquest PT-5 which might of been upgraded to a PT 6/7/8. The Audioquest PT arms look an awful lot like the Sumiko Premier FT 3, which was also used on VPI HW 19. The vinyl engine has downloads on these arms.
 
Eric,The AQ arm looks like a 5. Not a bad arm. As good as the Rega arms. Your table is a Jr. Very nice table. You can buy a new belt from LP-Gear for $25 bucks. In the mean time you could put the belt you have in boiling water for 20 to 30 sec and then in a bag of talc powder to cover for a bit. this may bring it back to life. As far as upgrades the things you can do are Platters (Scout up to the Classic) New feet (Eden Bear paws, Herbie's,VPI's). SAMA and the SDS are also good upgrades. You could also have someone do a 4" countersunk hole on the plinth and then you could swap arms. If it were mine I would refinish the base, clean out the bearing well and re-lube it. Oil the motor and make sure the pulley is tight. Mount a nice cartridge and enjoy the music. Your table as it sits is still better than the lot of the entry level tables that are on the market right now. I forgot to say that if the Sorborthane pucks are bad you can look a Herbie's fat dots or other material to replace them.
Happy Listening
Sturgus
 
Looks like all junior parts with a IV wood veneer box. There are some parts that can still be replaced. The VPI forums is your best bet for quick answers.
 
The belt is on order. The old one was like sticky spaghetti.

Is the deck supposed to sit loose in the plinth?

When you upgrade decks the new IV deck sits on top of the Jr. deck no? I'd really like to be able to swap out arm boards.

Thanks

Eric
 
The belt is on order. The old one was like sticky spaghetti.

Is the deck supposed to sit loose in the plinth?

When you upgrade decks the new IV deck sits on top of the Jr. deck no? I'd really like to be able to swap out arm boards.

Thanks

Eric

Sometimes you can "resurrect" belts by boiling in water for 20 secs to remove stickiness; add some (unscented) talc if you get the annoying squeak during startup.

This is something you can try in the meanwhile.
 
I don't think the Jr. had a suspended deck or platter. I know that my setup is just the deck sitting loose in the plinth.

Not sure if that's stock but it's what I've got.

Thanks

Eric
 
I don't think the Jr. had a suspended deck or platter. I know that my setup is just the deck sitting loose in the plinth.

Not sure if that's stock but it's what I've got.

Thanks

Eric

Every Jr. plinth I've ever seen came with 4 Sorbothane pucks instead of springs, so it sounds like you've got the regular Jr. plinth. The models above such as the the HW-19 MK III and MK IV had springs. Those models also had better platters along with better dustcover and armboard. If the parts are still available there are many worthwhile updates to bring the Jr. up to their level. You can even put a TNT 4 platter/bearing in one if you like. Might have to order a different arm board though to handle the extra platter height.
 
I've been reading were many folks prefer the sorbothane pucks over the springs as a suspension. Anyway, I have the jr. and it looks like the picture of the OPs, other then mine has the oak natural finish. I personally don't think all the upgrades are worth the cost. Not much better bang for lots of cost. But that is just my opinion. It is a nice deck the way it is.
 
Back
Top Bottom