• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

VPI HW-19 MKIII Acrylic/Lead platter separation repair advice.

JK-47

Member
Hi, I'm getting a VPI HW-19 ready to sell and noticed my platter has the lead part separating (dropping down) in a couple of spots. It moves when you push on it like its come un-glued. I've read a few partial threads on Vinylengine forum but was hoping to get more detail on the correct way to re-glue this lead piece. The 4 screws are tight, so its kind of a sag in-between screws. The turntable platter doesn't wobble and spins very flat. it just looks sloppy underneath.

So what I understand is, the platter top piece is an acrylic, with the lead below, and covered with what looks like a cork/rubber 10.5" mat.
I can carefully lift up my loose lead piece probably enough to get some epoxy in there. But I think the best way would be to remove the cork, and clean and re-glue it completely. I've found similar looking cork, that would need to be cur to 10.5" diameter.

I'll probably go with a 2-part epoxy, as the super-glue variety has a tendency to haze nearby plastic.

Does anyone have experience repairing these platters? Glue preferences or cork options?

thanks,

JK
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4410.jpeg
    IMG_4410.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4411.jpeg
    IMG_4411.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4406.jpeg
    IMG_4406.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 12
Register to hide this ad
I don't have any personal experience for you. Best advice will probably come from VPI, just give them a call or post the question on the "I love my VPI turntable" Facebook group.
 
Back
Top Bottom