• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

VTA M-125 Mono Blocks

tarponhead

New Member
Was just doing some reading, and heard about Bob Latino's. Apparently his ST70 and ST120 amps are highly regarded over a long period of time. Good to know.

Has anyone built the M-125 Mono Blocks? I assume they are everybit as good as his other products, but would like to hear some reviews/opinions. There should be plenty of headroom there! :banana:
Nothing came up on a search for these.


Tom
 
Register to hide this ad
hey-Hey!!!,
Given my experiences with the big Dyna outputs( 431 and 441 )I do not think the idea that, "The primary and secondaries are interleaved/layer wound just like the VTA ST-70/ST-120 output transformers." is a good thing. That interleave just doesn't scale up adequately IMO. Wonder what the rest ov the circuit looks like...hopefully nothing like the Dyna stuff, and hopefully lacking the gNFB loop as well.

While I'm ranting, why use only 4 power tubes? Why run B+ so high? is that a single rectifier tube? This is shaping up in the fine Dynaco tradition. Why can't I adjust bias on each tube separately? Why am I stuck with that darn can cap?
cheers,
Douglas
 
Last edited:
hey-Hey!!!,
Given my experiences with the big Dyna outputs( 431 and 441 )I do not think the idea that, "The primary and secondaries are interleaved/layer wound just like the VTA ST-70/ST-120 output transformers." is a good thing. That interleave just doesn't scale up adequately IMO. Wonder what the rest ov the circuit looks like...hopefully nothing like the Dyna stuff, and hopefully lacking the gNFB loop as well.

While I'm ranting, why use only 4 power tubes? Why run B+ so high? is that a single rectifier tube? This is shaping up in the fine Dynaco tradition. Why can't I adjust bias on each tube separately? Why am I stuck with that darn can cap?
cheers,
Douglas

Douglas,

1. The circuit used is a modified VTA Mark III driver circuit which uses two 12BH7 driver tubes. 12BH7's give higher voltage swings than most 12**7 tubes.

2. To keep the cost of the amp kit down to a reasonable price a parallel push/pull driver circuit was used with four output tubes.

3. Re: bias controls. It was found that the use of a matched quad of output tubes in the M-125 kit makes FOUR bias contols really unecessary

4. Re: Tube rectifiers in the M-125. Only the Weber WZ68 solid state rectifier is recommended for this amp IF you want to attain full power with four output tubes. The use of a single GZ34 TUBE rectifier is possible but there will be a slight loss of power.

5. Re: Why run the B+ (500 - 515 VDC) so high? The amp simply SOUNDS BETTER at this B+ than at lower levels.

6. Why am I stuck with that darn can cap? That darn quad cap is 550 volt rated Authenticap made in Germany. In the aproximately 30 pairs (60 amps) out there in the past year - not one has failed. The amp also has an 800 volt rated Suppementary Cap module. The total amount of DC storage on the amp is 393 uF. As an experiment more was added with no increase in power. The high voltage system also uses bypass capacitors.

Long thread below about the M-125 with photos on page 8 of the thread.

http://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t396-prototype-125-watt-monoblock-tube-amplifier-kit

Bob Latino
 
Bob, is the 125 driver schematic published or is it confidential?

Not interested in building one, just curious as to the general topology.
 
Thanks Kansai and bob for the link to the thread, I will certainly look it over.

Bob, I searched your forum for "M-125" and got nothing, hence why posted this...FYI.
(maybe its me, as I am frequently unsuccessful in searches in AK also. Maybe a short between the keyboard and the seat? :scratch2:)
Thanks for fielding the questions that PakProtector wrote. I see it as beneficial for new products to go through some vetting by individuals more knowlegeable than I (which ain't saying much). I liked your straightforward replies.

How about some more reviews from owners on this forum??

thx
Tom
 
Bob, is the 125 driver schematic published or is it confidential?

Not interested in building one, just curious as to the general topology.

Hi dgta,

The circuit is published but the actual value of the resistors and capacitors is proprietary unless of course you buy the kit ....

M-125 schematic which shows the circuit without the values of most resistors and capacitors is below ..

M-125schematic_2_NV.jpg


Photo of the M-125's internal wiring is below ...

M-125internalwiring_1024_TEXT.jpg


Bob Latino
 
Last edited:
I've provided my feedback on these wonderful amps under (and update once in a while):

http://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t910-newbie-here-starting-my-bob-latino-m-125-monoblock-build


And:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=389183

Great kit to build and worked the first time. Very powerful amps -- I've played with running two output tubes and four output tubes - very flexible.

Bob provides fantastic support which I researched heavily prior to purchase - huge base of happy customers.

I'm a very happy camper.

Thanks,

Chris
 
Chris,
Thx for the links, sounds like you really like them....good stuff. The Cornwalls must be a good match.
Sounds like your search might be closely aligned with what I am thinking about.
Mind if I ask what other amps you considered in that search? A PM is fine if you have the time.

BTW: I guess I figured out that I nee to take the dash out of M-125 to get the search to work.....duh. :boring:


Tom
 
Hello! I'm new to the forum - but have until now, always been a reader. I'm always on
the prowl looking for the latest and greatest Dynaco and Neo-Dynaco tech talk.

I probably own and have built all of Bob Latino's amps - and the M-125 mono blocks are no exception. With respect to the M-125, you can't go wrong. Simply because they follow the success of the modern day VTA Mark III driver circuit, which in turn is built on the success of the original Dynaco Mark III. The power transformer doesn't get above 130 degrees Fahrenheit after several hours. The rather large output transformer on the M-125 monoblocks has been carefully reverse engineered to offer the best linearity possible for a modern tube amp. Keep in mind, David Hafler, a founder of the later Dyna Company, owned and operated a transformer company (Acrosound) in his early days of hi-fi engineering.

I built my M-125 monoblocks over Christmas of 2010. I originally biased the amps to accept KT-88s but later learned about the success many builders were having with the Tung-Sol KT-120s. I ran the amps for about 6 months - approximately 250 hours before one of my KT-120s came down with the red plates!! "I couldn't be caused by one of these huge KT-120s that could withstand a nuclear blast", I thought to myself, as I’m sure many of we tubies do. Before tearing into the amp, I contacted Bob thinking I was experiencing an amp catastrophe! He said “don't sweat it,” in his always calm demeanor. “Go ahead and check a few voltages and let me know.” At that point, I was, as I'm sure many other tube builders are, figuring something fried in the amp to cause this eventually terminal situation. All readings were perfect - and no noticeable telltale burning smell or black marks anywhere. Don't ya thunk I woulda tested the KT-120s by now? After all those fine readings in the amp, I did. Yup, a KT-120s control grid had touched the cathode I can best surmise. Believe you me, these KT-120s are tough as they are advertised, I just got a bad one. Because of this experience, I should've believed Bob the first time when he said, "these amps don't break down"!

Lessons learned: Bob is always available when and where you need him for advice and answers whether vintage Dynaco, or the new generation amps he sells. He won’t leave you guessing, even if you do have a problem. These amps are tough enough to even take red plating for God knows how long!

Sorry for my digression but they do really, really sound great. Now, if I could just save enough to buy a better than above average pair of speakers! That's how much I believe in these amps...I don't own any Maggies but I can tell you when I play the M-125s through some better than decent Klipschs and Axioms - they shine. Listening to “Dreampalace” Troika IIs title track, I distinctly hear the images shift to the right and left about a meter and a half out from the speakers. I like to play the blasting trumpets from 70’s group "Chase" so I can try to pick out the back-up trumpets and guitar players in the sound stage.

I tried these amps coupled with perhaps 4 different preamps - honestly, the M-125s sound fantastic! For kicks, I hooked an average passive preamp to these monoblocks just to hear a more "pure" form of these amps - and I have to say, I was proverbially blown away! Most importantly, I know now that the imagery is a LEAST coming from the M-125's.

The VTA driver board has been available since 1988, but the full VTA ST-70 amp kit came out in 2006. The VTA ST-120 came out in June 2009. The M-125's in Dec of 2010. Short, sweet and honestly, these amps, whether you go for the VTA ST-70, VTA ST-120, or the monster M-125 monoblocks, you WON'T be disappointed.

Enjoy the glow, Patrick
 
Last edited:
Welcome to AudioKarma Patrick - thanks very much for your post - I'm glad to hear another person's review of these amps.

Thanks,

Chris
 
Back
Top Bottom