• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wall Shelf for Turntable

media

It's more fun to compute
I recently picked up a nice solid black glass audio rack off CL. Low and behold, any sort of monster receiver does not fit in it. So, I have to place it on top where my TT now resides. I cant set the TT on top of the receiver (per sticker on top) so I was looking for a wall shelf. Wasn't finding many low cost options for this that would be deep enough and living in a smaller I dont have much room to build anything. I also wanted it to match the stand I already have. I just placed an order for this wall mount component shelf, which will fit the TT perfectly.

OmniMount ECSB Component Shelf

Wha do you guys think? My only worry is getting it level for such use, but I dont think it will be much of an issue.
 
Register to hide this ad
Glass rings and vibrates.... I'd have gone with a wood shelf. Not liking the single middle suport arm either for vibrations...

not trying to rain on your parade at all, just giving my thoughts..
 
I'll second SIMI, you don't want glass shelves for any of your components especially a turntable. Also that single arm provides minimal support at best. I use Target wall shelves for my turntables with large/long screws sunk into the wall studs and I have zero issues with any kind of vibration/resonance. If you can find one of the older Target wall shelves these are the best, the newer ones arn't as well built and by the looks of it are no longer be available. If you can't control vibration/resonance from the start the battle is over and you will never get decent performance from your turntable.
 
I have seen some very inexpensive shelving brackets used for turntables. I couldn't believe it but there were no obvious problems. Try some metal brackets bent at 90 degrees. The kind that will support a table. If it isn't satisfactory go with something more expensive.

I think the key is that the wall is 90 degrees off from the vibrations.
 
I appreciate the input gentlemen. Would anyone have a link to a shelf that would work a little better? possibly showing which brackets you might be talking about also. I'm bummed this shelf wont work, but it's not like I can't return it for a refund to go with something else.

The turntable needs about a 16" depth to allow the dustcover to open.

Thank you all!
 
Google for floating wall shelf and floating wall shelf bracket.

If you're any good with wood, it could give you an idea on how to make your own.

I've almost thought about building them to sell around here, but kinda thin on the time..
 
If your strapped for $ return the glass shelf and get a refund. Do a search here on AK for DIY wall shelves for info on how to build one, materials will probably run about the same as the glass wall shelf but will be a lot more effective in controlling vibration.
 
That's the problem. Most of the wall shelfs only have about a 10" depth.

I'd make one myself, but I'm a city dweller and have an apt just a little over 800 sq ft. I dont really have the space to build anything. I'd need to get something premade and ready to mount on the wall.
 
You don't need much space to assemble a DIY wall shelf, hopefully you have some simple tools like a screwdriver, level etc. You will need the same tools if you purchase a commercial turntable wall shelf, check Audiogon for Target and Sound Organization turntable wall shelves, they show up occasionally but don't linger they sell fast. Also check Ebay I'v seen a few there and local audio retailers in the Atlanta area. As for new ones from what I understand all the on line audio retailers are out of them and back ordered but I got a feeling Target is going out of buisness.
 
That's the problem. Most of the wall shelfs only have about a 10" depth.

I'd make one myself, but I'm a city dweller and have an apt just a little over 800 sq ft. I dont really have the space to build anything. I'd need to get something premade and ready to mount on the wall.

Use this bracket, mount it so that the 10" side is vertical and 16" side is horizontal. It's rated for 600 pounds, so mounting 2 of them the way I suggest will give you plenty of support for a 16" to 18" shelf supporting even a heavy turntable. Turned around the way I suggest will still give you at least 75 to 150 pounds of support for each bracket (provided its screwed into the 2x4 vertical stud behind the wall board). Your turntable doesn't weigh more then that does it?

Have the lumber yard cut the shelf for you. They may even have 16" wide shelving maternal you can get. My wife found some at 10'-12' lengths that could be cut to length for my shelves. I have 2 long shelves, each over 9' long and 16" deep made with the stuff. Both of them supported at every stud along the way (every 16").

Shelly_D
 
Last edited:
I just placed an order for the Dolle shelf last night. When It arrives and I get it up, I'll post pics and my thoughts.It seems to be a perfect fit according to the dimensions.

Thanks for all of the recommendations, I was just looking for something that was ready to mount.
 
Just make sure that you are able to secure it to the wall with at least one, preferably two studs. Also, it doesn't say what weight that shelf is rated for...:scratch2:
 
Don't throw thed box/packing material away because I'd be surprised if it's going to work out. Looking at the picture there is no support under the board which will cause it to flex. This shelf is for light items, pictures etc not heavy electronics or a turntable. You need something purpose built as in a commercial turntable wall shelf or a DIY copy.
 
Just make sure that you are able to secure it to the wall with at least one, preferably two studs. Also, it doesn't say what weight that shelf is rated for...:scratch2:

Yeah, 18" wide, so I can secure it on two studs.

The shelf is rated for 80lbs. Target doesnt have it listed, but that's what it has on two other sites.
 
Two of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

mounted to the studs in the walls

The a trip to a lumber yard for a piece of plywood or MDF cut to size.

You don't really want the turntable mounted on a single point mount. Even screwed into the studs, there would be too much vibration out at the ends of that shelf.

Good Luck

Shelly_D

These are a far more substantially designed bracket - and they come in widths of 16", and possibly more, if my memory hasn't faded to close to black:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...-_-202034290-_-202205510-_-N&locStoreNum=6647
 
Once I saw at a thrift store an antique wall shelf. It was solid oak with ornate gothic angle supports. I think it was from a funeral home or church used as a shelf to keep those books where you sign in.
It was very cool and perfect turntable size. I still kick myself in the ass for not buying that thing.
 
Back
Top Bottom