• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wangshin Fish Sauce, South Korea, WOW!

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I could not replenish my supply of Vietnamese Red Boat Fish sauce I understand it is the SoCal supply chain problems. I cannot be without it. In desperation I started to look around. Found Wangshin Fish Sauce from South Korea. The description sounded very interesting, It is aged for over 2 years in ceramic pots that are the same type as is used for making Kimchi. I now have it in hand. I have enjoyed fish sauce for a lot of years. I thought Red Boat was the best, it no longer is. It is very hard to describe the flavor of Wangshin it has an even more pronounced umami taste than Red Boat, it is far smoother, and refined. Visually it is light and clear. This is the best I can do. I got this from Amazon. I am going to check atound to see if anyone else has it. There is another Wangshin fish sauce it is smoked going to order some that sounds wonderful.

1EE1D379-DD0C-4834-BEC1-4EEA3EDE8662.jpeg
5FEC270C-9A03-4BE4-BFAD-2F0422BE0901.jpeg
2583DC72-915B-4533-A75B-9ECDE453F383.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
It looks like Wangshin is marketed in the US through Amazon. I was hoping to find a source that sold Wangshin in larger containers. I buy Red Boat in half-gallon jugs.
 
Thanks Transmaster!! Let us know what you think. I also use Red Boat in smaller bottles.
Wangshin Fish Sauce is what I would call a finishing sauce. Cook with Red Boat put Wangshin on the dinner table as a condiment. Red Boat is so good, but Wangshin’s smooth, balanced, and sophisticated taste profile belongs on the table. This is the fish sauce to use to introduce someone who has never tried it before. A small amount of fish sauce in sour cream is unbelievably good. It is sort of like using a small amount of freshly cracked black pepper on watermelon. Once you try it there is no going back.
 
I think a bottle of this would last me a lifetime, stopped eating rice so Chinese is a super rare treat. My Korean friend just turned me onto Costco sold Kimchi (forgot the brand), but he said it's a popular brand in Korea and almost as good as homemade.
 
Oh, that looks good! I always have to have fish sauce around. I haven't had trouble getting Red Boat yet. I may have to treat myself to some Wangshin though. While the price is more that twice that of Red Boat, it sounds worth it!
Thanks for the tip!
We just finished fermenting 1.5 gallons of daikon kimchi, using Red Boat.
 
I need to start. making Kimchi again. I have a local source of some made in LA. There is a Korean version that is aged for over a year. I have heard it calked stinky Kimchi I am intrigued.
 
Doing a A-B comparison between Red Boat and Wangshin. I like them both. Very subtle difference between the two, Red Boat has just a little sharper edge than Wangshin.
 
I have decided that the South Korean Wangshin Fish Sauce is not better than Red Boat is just a little different probably because Red Boat is aged in wooden barrels, and Wangshin is aged in large ceramic kimchi pots. Red Boat remains my go to fish sauce.
 
Wangshin Fish Sauce is what I would call a finishing sauce. Cook with Red Boat put Wangshin on the dinner table as a condiment. Red Boat is so good, but Wangshin’s smooth, balanced, and sophisticated taste profile belongs on the table. This is the fish sauce to use to introduce someone who has never tried it before. A small amount of fish sauce in sour cream is unbelievably good. It is sort of like using a small amount of freshly cracked black pepper on watermelon. Once you try it there is no going back.

Hey, thanks for comparing these sauces. I'll stick w/ Red Boat for making my Thai soups butmight grab a bottle or two of Wangshin for the table.
 
I have decided that the South Korean Wangshin Fish Sauce is not better than Red Boat is just a little different probably because Red Boat is aged in wooden barrels, and Wangshin is aged in large ceramic kimchi pots. Red Boat remains my go to fish sauce.
Have you tried/compared the SUCHI brand 40N premium Vietnamese Fish Sauce?
It's made with salt and anchovies only, fermented in wood containers pretty much the same as Red Boat,
I picked up a bottle when I ran out of Red Boat and couldn't find any at the time.
I haven't been able to do a side by side but I think it does a pretty good job.
I was thinking of picking up the Wangshin 3 pack on Amazon.
Fish sauce, smoked fish sauce and soy sauce all aged over 2 years but at around $60 it's a bit pricey
though you do get a larger bottle of the smoked sauce than if you buy it seperately.
 
Have you tried/compared the SUCHI brand 40N premium Vietnamese Fish Sauce?
It's made with salt and anchovies only, fermented in wood containers pretty much the same as Red Boat,
I picked up a bottle when I ran out of Red Boat and couldn't find any at the time.
I haven't been able to do a side by side but I think it does a pretty good job.
I was thinking of picking up the Wangshin 3 pack on Amazon.
Fish sauce, smoked fish sauce and soy sauce all aged over 2 years but at around $60 it's a bit pricey
though you do get a larger bottle of the smoked sauce than if you buy it separately.

Sounds interesting and it is available on Amazon. I will order some to try. The one thing that Vietnam seems to be clamping down on is fake Vietnamese Fish Sauce. Most of this villainous tasting fish sauce comes from Cambodia. This garbage develops a salt sludge in the bottom of the bottle.
 
So a little help here for the non-initiated in fish sauce. Not to use it for a condiment, but is it good to boost the fish flavor in a mild fish soup or stew?
 
So a little help here for the non-initiated fish sauce. Not to use it for a condiment, but is it good to boost the fish flavor in a mild fish soup or stew?
This is a real misconception people have with fish sauce. It is made with Anchovies, yes, but as the Japanese say. “It is not fishy”. It is an umami nuclear bomb. It is used much like soy sauce, as I pointed out up thread soy sauce is a. Vegan version of fish sauce developed by strictly vegetarian Buddist monks. It is excellent in soups, and so many other things, but it will not add a fish flavor to it. But it will enhance its flavor. As you have read many of us no longer use much soy sauce, and believe me I have world-class artisan grade soy sauces. There are a lot of different regional styles of fish stock. There are plenty of YouTubes to teach you how to make them. One of the standard soup bases in Japan is a Dashi this is simply steeped, not boiled, kelp and dried Benito tuna shavings. If you have a cat, Kitties love munching on those Benito shavings. Here is a link to educate you about the umami flavor, It was discovered in Japan about 100 years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami
 
Last edited:
So a little help here for the non-initiated in fish sauce. Not to use it for a condiment, but is it good to boost the fish flavor in a mild fish soup or stew?

As transmaster mentioned above, it doesn't add a fish taste. It basically adds that "special something" to whatever you put it in, and boosts the flavors that are already there. Some of my favorite uses are salad dressings, tomato based pasta sauces, and soups, especially Asian style brothy soups like pho, ramen, and miso. I also splash some in salt brines for chicken, and things like quick pickled radish or red onion.
Red Boat also makes a fish sauce salt, which can be used like regular salt, but extra tasty.
 
Back
Top Bottom