• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Want to Acquire a Decent HI-FI System for $750ish. Seeking advice!

Speakers: Mirage M-490 or M-290
Headphones: Sennheiser HD-598SE
CD Player: Adcom GCD-600, Adcom GCD-700, Rotel RCD-950, Rotel RCD 855, or a DVD player. DVD players are ultra cheap with good sound quality.
 
If the OP gets something with a USB DAC, the computer can do all of work for internet radio and streaming.

A Chromecast Audio will do the same but wirelessly if you use the Chrome browser on your computer or have an Android phone. If you have an iPhone, go with a USB DAC.
Ortofon Omega mentioned up higher is OK, but I had a problem when I used it - tracking was horrible. YMMV.
Yeah, if you want to play CDs, either buy a cheap used CD player or upload your CDs onto your computer or a server for use with a USB DAC or Chromecast. CD players are the turntables of today - veeeery easy to get one used at a bargain price.
 
I'm honestly not sure what suggestions to make here,as there are factors in play that I would'nt have to consider (namely a wife & kids),but I'll give it a try anyways.
And as was said there are soooo many options between new & vintage gear that it can become quite a challenge to sort it all out.

I know this,I'd stay away from speaker stands with the youngsters around,that's just asking for an accident,I'd probably opt for wall mounts for that purpose.
And I'd almost certainly want a stereo stand/cabinet that would keep the kiddos away from the gear as well,especially the turntable.

Vintage CD player,I'd probably look for a (Phillips) Magnavox CDB-500/502 as I really miss the one I used to have,this unit sounded great plus it was very reliable.
But to be completely honest I have'nt needed a CDP for a good many years as I just use my desktop/laptop/tablet as a server for my digital music nowadays.

As for power,I'd probably opt for new here,as has been pointed out the risk with used electronics is ever present,so I'd likely go for the 60wpc Yamaha A-S301 integrated -or- the 50wpc R-S300 reciever as they both have the variable loudness control,and that's a feature I've grown fond of for low volume listening when everyone else is sleeping or such,and this item I'd probably get thru Amazon with that gift card.

Speakers,I'd probably go vintage here as there's usually not quite as much risk with buying used speakers as there would be with used electronics (besides possibly needing a refoam or damage during shipping),plus you can often get a lot of speaker for a reasonable outlay of $$$,so I'd likely opt for some nicer JBL bookshelf speakers (front ported if I were using wall mounts as mentioned above).

Turntable,I'd probably go vintage here too,but that's mostly just because I'm not up on all the new TT offerings,so I'd probably be looking for a good deal on a mid level JVC,Kenwood,Sansui,Sony or Technics DD table myself,that or I'd hafta do some homework on all the newer TT offerings and see what might work.

The first two (integrated/receiver & CDP) would be like $400 for those +/- just a bit,and that would leave roughly $350 for the other two items,and I feel confident that I could find some acceptable speakers for $150 (give-or-take) so that would leave appx. $200 for the TT and whatnot.

From what I can tell buying it all new would make it a real challenge,as to me it seems a compromise would almost certainly be necessary to get it all & stay under budget.

FWIW

Bret P.
 
If your looking for reliability new or restored vintage would be the way to go. Totally agree with Yamaha for budget new. We just added their line to our offerings for that reason. Plus, they have that vintage flair which is very cool. Speakers on a budget, used is your best friend. U-turn is a great budget table, along with the Denon DP-300F we like for vinyl new comers. Maybe a subscription to AK for bartertown would be helpful for you as well. The $25 a year subscription is well worth it.
 
Sorry, I misread what you (the OP) said about a turntable. It's not making you happy, so the UTurn TT should be on your list! Great bunch of folks with a solid, simple yet nice sounding turntable. I have been very happy with my Yamaha electronics, KEF and Polk speakers.
Since you will be dealing with Amazon, I checked and they are carrying the UTurn turntable and the Yamaha A-S301 amp, but those two items will bring you to the top of your $750 budget. The R-S201 receiver is half of the price of the A-S301 and is a sweet sounding unit, but it does not have a phono input. You could get an external preamp and I think you would still have $150 available for speakers.

Golly what fun!
,
 
Last edited:
Speakers on a budget, used is your best friend.

The problem with used speakers for the OP is that he indicated that he lives far from any major market, so shipping will most likely be necessary (either that or a long road trip), and although shipping speakers is not as dicey as shipping a TT, there is still risk for damage, and with shipping costs being what they are, shipping alone will eat up a lot of budget--and then there is the risk of cosmetic or functional misrepresentation--again, new comes with a warranty card and return option.
 
Last edited:
Not everything has to come from Amazon, as you indicated only part of the budget is via Amazon gift card(s), so looking on Crutchfield and other sites with decent return policies is always an option. You can also buy the "basic" U Turn Orbit directly from U Turn for $179--it has the MDF platter vs the $309 model with the acrylic platter (and add the acrylic platter for $90 later). Still comes with a dustcover, felt mat and pre-mounted entry level AT cart, and although I am not thrilled with the idea of an MDF platter, I am still leary of static issues with acrylic, but I have not played with one yet.

If you choose to/have to go the Ebay route, just realize that the prices listed are designed to account for the fees that Ebay and PayPal collect from the seller on both item cost and shipping If I sell something on Ebay, (depending on the item) I have to mark it up at minimum 10% just to cover their "take" just for me to get what I want out of it.
 
I second Crutchfield, they are great to deal with, and I got my Yamaha R-S201 receiver from them with free two day shipping.
 
FWIW, you might want to keep your Iphone and use it with a subscription music service for stuff to listen to.
 
Ok

Here is how I would approach things. You want to get the best value for your money, so some careful shopping is needed.

Used gear represents the best value, but there is risk that it could break soon, or need service. If it is at all possible see if you can buy a used piece that has been restored or from a store that puts a warrantee on it. It costs a bit more to do this way, but there is a lower threshold of risk. One place that does this is echo hi fi in Portland OR, and they ship. There may be other places closer to you in one of the bigger cities. This is what I would do for the integrated amp or receiver. An added bonus is if you get a unit from the 70's, 80's, or maybe the 90's you often get a quality built in phono stage.

I would find a good cheap used DVD player for your CD playing. Or buy an inexpensive USB DAC and use a lap top as a music server. Not all DVD players sound the same, some are better than others. I would look for a Phillips or a Sony one. You should be able to buy one for dirt cheap, less than $15.00 really.

I would opt for smaller floor standing speakers and use the money spent for stands to get a bit better speaker. Speakers and stands are a dangerous combination with kids, and a small floor stander is not immune to being knocked over, but it is less likely to happen. Also you will get a bit more bass out of them due to larger cabinet size, and so you might like them a bit better. Also I would look at discounted sites on the web for speakers, and if you are really lucky you can get one that offers free shipping. Now there are good options on the used sites also. If you can find some that ship for a reasonable price, then look at the Canadian offerings from companies like Paradigm, Angstrom, Energy, Mirage, and what not, there is a lot of value there. It's usually the shipping costs that make used speakers a bit more problematic to find on a tight budget.

One other option to consider is joining AK Bartertown, which is where members buy and sell to each other. You may very well find a good quality used turntable here, from people who know how to care for and pack and ship one. Heck you could find your CD player, integrated amp, even your speakers here. It could be one stop shopping. Is iron clad proof that you won't get a bad transaction? No. But you are dealing with a good bunch of people, and paying used prices from hobbyists.

As far as the Amazon card goes. Can you buy general household needed items with it, and set the cash aside that would be spent for the audio purchase? It would give you the flexibility of having more vendors/places to shop at. And it doesn't cost your family any money out of pocket, although its not quite as convenient, and costs you extra work.

Just some thoughts from a simple pig. We like god food, warm sun, and soft hay. If you want a different opinion, go talk to the cows for they are wise. Don't talk to the chickens, fowl are known liars and they cheat at cards.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
One thing you might want to consider too, new vinyl albums are expensive. I was considering a turntable until I saw I'd be spending $30 a pop for Pink Floyd albums
 
Buy used. This greatly increases your dollar to performance ratio.

With $750 or with any budget, I would spend the most on speakers. Speakers make the most difference. Buy a pair of excellent speakers and put decent equipment behind them. I could rattle off a bunch of recommendations, but it's hard to say what you would like. Boston Acoustics is my universal recommendation but that's my personal preference. ;) Personally I would go with floorstanders because I would want more bass, but that's personal preference as well. However, nice stands for bookshelves cost a good amount of dough.

Use your Amazon gift card on the receiver/integrated amp and maybe some interconnects (cheap as possible) and perhaps a DVD player/DAC combo. Yamaha makes highly regarded integrated amplifiers for not a lot of money. The NADs are highly regarded as well.

Unless you have a substantial collection of vinyl already, going the vinyl route is not easy on a budget. I would image you would be buying a lot of used vinyl that most likely would be inferior to CD at least with surface noise. If you absolutely want a turntable, buy a good used turntable and add a nice cartridge. The cartridge matters the most.

That's my thoughts.

Here's the comparable core of my system that I bought on EBay for inspiration (I have lots of other stuff, but for this example it's the relevant parts): Nakamichi RE-2 Receiver - their #2 stereo receiver in 1992 ($58), Boston Acoustics VR-40s - their TOTL in 1995 ($350), Emotiva XDA-1 DAC ($200), LG Blu-Ray Player (free to me), and Kenwood KD-5066 Turnable ($225). That totals $833, which I know is a little over budget, but buy a slightly cheaper DAC and turntable and you're at or below $750.
 
One thing you might want to consider too, new vinyl albums are expensive. I was considering a turntable until I saw I'd be spending $30 a pop for Pink Floyd albums
On the other hand used albums from Garage sales and GW are a buck.
 
I say buy a used DVD player to play CD's and buy a new amp/receiver and new speakers. I have the already-mentioned Pioneer SP-BS 22LR , as well as Sony SS-CS5 speakers, both of which I like and should be less than $200. I prefer Yamaha and Sherwood receiver/amps. The "New Gear-Values" section has a "Less Than $500 System" thread that should be helpful. Good luck and happy listening.
 
Again, thanks so much for all the great advice everyone!

Weird timing - my home computer just decided to completely die on me 2 days ago, so I haven't had an easy way to dig into researching your suggestions. Luckily it's under warranty, but now I have to send it away and wait for it to come back! I may break out an old computer in the meantime, or maybe I'll just enjoy the blackout!

But I do really appreciate the time y'all have taken to share your wisdom with me! I'm really glad to be a part of this group!

Matthew

And once again, please, if anyone is holding back... don't. Load me up with information!
 
Go for the ELACs. Andrew Jones is now their chief engineer. Andrew is (probably) the hottest speaker designer on the planet. Go look at a few of the interviews with him. Check his bio or his linkedin page. He started his career at KEF. The ELAC Debut B6 is receiving rave reviews.

Here is a review of the Uni-Fi:
http://www.cnet.com/products/elac-uni-fi-ub5/

I'd spring for the Uni-Fi's. It might be the best $500 audio purchase you ever make.

I like the Yamaha amps. Get one with a built in DAC. It will save you another expense

Speakers stands from craigs
CD player (anything will do for now)
Turntable- any used inexpensive Technics (for now)
Tie your system into a computer. Get set up with digital content. It's (almost) free.

If you buy the Uni-Fi's you will probably go over $750 but I'd always splurge on speakers over anything else.
 
Yamaha A-S301 integrated $350-400
Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers $130
Thrift store/yard sale/CL CD/DVD player w/digital out $5-25
Entry level AT, Shure, Ortofon, Grado cart $35-80
Decent used vintage TT $???--sell the AT120 to someone ripping vinyl to digital and maybe break even
Speaker stands (if required)--improvise or $20 in lumber and screws at Home Depot or Lowes
All the cables to connect them--a few $$ at Monoprice
DONE!!!--everything you need for under $750 and a little change for a beer or a couple new albums
 
Back
Top Bottom