• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Warning! Janis subwoofers are hazardous to your health !

Ohighway

Wannabe Minimalist
....Well they are to mine anyway.

Was just wrapping up a listening session last night, and walked over to my equipment. Right when I got there..... trip....snap/squish....! After I recovered from the excruciating pain I took a deep breath and looked down. Sure enough, I'd jammed the little toe on my right foot into the edge of the subwoofer, and it was now heading off at about a 80 degree angle. Grrrrrr. :grumpy: I won't be able to fix that one by myself. So now it's a trip to the emergency room at midnight on a Saturday night. This isn't gonna' be good. :no:

More painful than the initial break was the ..... I'm not kidding...... -7 hour- wait to see a doctor. I thought Howard County General was set up better than that. :scratch2: So the x-rays verified, broken and dislocated toe. A shot to numb it (yeah right, like that really worked) and some aggressive tugging by the doctor to try and straighten it out. Bandaged and wrapped and now I'm hobbling around in an open toed shoe. Double GRRRRRRR.:grumpy::grumpy:

Home now..... it's 9:00 am and time for bed. Watch out for those subwoofers guys....
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Double OUCH! Sympathize with you.

You picked the worst time in the entire week to head to the emergency room, too. All the Saturday night party-up, drink-and-drive people flood the places then.

I hope you don't mind a suggestion: Does the subwoofer HAVE to remain where it is, for sonic reasons, or could you move it to a safer place where you'd be less likely to kick it? Barring that, could you put some kind of foam padding (might even help with dampening!) that would reduce the chances of injury, should your foot ever hit it again?
 
Man that sucks. I smashed my toe into the frame of my friends bed last night (man that sentence sounds wrong. anyway). I guess I was lucky only ripping off half the toenail. Still hurt through.
 
Anthropologists inform us as to why the toe is so accident prone in this modern age of electronics: cavemen did not have subwoofers, and frame beds and the like. We did not evolve to have heavy wooden boxes on a flat floor. The toe is a vestigial organ from an epoch long gone. We should probably amputate toes at birth - at least just the males!!!:thmbsp:
 
....You picked the worst time in the entire week to head to the emergency room.......

Yeah. Funny how the mind works. As soon as I saw the toe I had two quick thoughts 1) I can't fix this myself 2) This means a trip to the Emergency Room on a Saturday night.:no:

Does the subwoofer HAVE to remain where it is?

Heck no. I just had it where it was so I could try it out to see if it worked... it wasn't even hooked up yet. It's moving somewhere else...TODAY.
 
I was drinking several hours earlier in the evening, and frankly didn't have that much.

Sooooo.... bottom line...... I don't have an excuse.
 
Sorry to hear about that Rick. The wait at the emergency rooms are excruciating. My wife fell over a stupid little garden fence on Memorial Day morning and shattered her entire elbow and had to be completely replaced (the elbow not the wife:D) You never know when your gonna get it. Dog Gone Woofers!! :yes:
 
Man that sucks. I smashed my toe into the frame of my friends bed last night (man that sentence sounds wrong. anyway). I guess I was lucky only ripping off half the toenail. Still hurt through.

You clued us in when you said that about that sentence sounding wrong. Otherwise I would never have realized that you had been walking around another guy's bedroom with at least some of your clothes off!
 
I know what you're going through although I didn't break mine. I stubbed it on a box of records I had sitting in the apartment I used to live in. **** that hurt. Then I did it again about a week later with the same toe!
 
Well, the plot thickens. After that long wait at the ER, I wasn't really happy with the attention that I eventually got. The doctor said it was broken, that he'd numb the toe, then pull it back into position. Seemed logical. So that's what he attempted to do. Then he seemed to be having difficulty. He ran off to review the x-ray again, came back , numbed it more, and tried again. I could tell by his reaction what he THOUGHT would happen WASN'T happening. Ultimately I told him the toe didn't look like it had been re-aligned correctly. He responded with something about, "it'll be fine, the muscle is pulling it outward, blah, blah, blah"
Frankly seemed to me he wanted to try and fix it, but if it didn't really work then he didn't care.

So... I went to the podiatrist today. He unwrapped the toe and stated that it did still look like it was canted to the right. He took another x-ray and said he'll call me tomorrow after reviewing it. We'll see what happens....stay tuned.
 
Last edited:
Every so often I just can't stop beer from pouring down my throat. Its relentless...just keeps gushing down there and it won't stop!
 
I did something similar to my left little toe at least 20 years ago- it's still screwed up. it hangs to the left & seems to hinge sideways ( my daughter just grosses out over that!) I don't know how many times I've caught it again because of the way it sticks out. I'll be watching your posts & hoping you have a better recovery than mine!
 
Update! Heard back from the podiatrist. He reviewed the x-ray he took on Monday, indicated the toe was more mis-aligned than he thought was reasonable, and that he'd like for me to come in so he could re-set the toe. Soooo... I hopped in the truck and headed to his office. He gave me a shot to numb the toe, waited about 10 minutes for the pain medication to fully take effect, then manipulated the toe. I heard a little "pop" and he was finished. Looked down at the toe and it looked MUCH better.... it wasn't canted out sideways anymore. He took a follow up x-ray and while the alignment isn't 100% perfect, it's worlds better than it was.

This visit was in stark contrast to my ER visit. At the ER, I was given two shots to numb the toe... which frankly didn't work. When he was manipulating the toe it pretty much felt like someone crushing it as hard as they could with a pair of pliers, and the end result was a toe pointing sideways. I go to the podiatrist and one shot FULLY numbed the toe, and a quick tug and sideways move put the toe in place. Today.... my podiatrist is my hero !
 
Back
Top Bottom