• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Warped Mat, Technics SL-J3

JamVal

Addicted Member
Found a Technics SL-J3 in a thrift store yesterday. The only annoying issue is that there is a section of the rubber mat that is warped up slightly: Any suggestions?
IMGP5065.JPG

The rubber in this section of the mat seems stiffer than the rest of the mat. I have a few other mats lying around but this platter has a popup 45 adapter integrated into the platter so the center hole of the mat is the size of a 45 adapter, instead of the spindle. I may attempt to open a wider hole in one of my other mats if I can't get this one flattened.
Platter Mat.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
It's probably done for. Those are signs of age in a rubber mat and not really reversible. If you are looking for a replacement it might be easiest to make one from cork. It's easy to cut and you can use the old one as a tracing template.
 
Agreed. DIY cork mat or look for a replacement on Ebay. My one Technics came to me with a hardened, warped mat. I went with a used Ebay replacement.
 
Back
Top Bottom