• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Was I ripped off by Plumbers?

xrayspex77

Super Member
My Condo Building is old, early 60’s. It was originally an Apartment Building converted to Condo before Conversions were banned to save Rental Stock.
About 5 years ago the Board starting talking about replacing all the Water Pipes. It got pushed back and then the Pandemic happened.
After 2 Zoom and 1 in person Meeting where we were assured everything would be put back as it was and any potential problems would be flagged, the Property Management contracted a Company. The pipes were replaced over the last 2 weeks.
Everything went well until they were reinstalling my Bathroom Vanity. When the Team Lead inspected my Unit before the work started, no problems were flagged. When they removed my Bathroom Vanity, no problems were flagged. All of a sudden I had a leak that had “been there forever” and the attachment to drain my Washing Machine was illegal because it was an open drain. They said I could pay them to replace the Drainpipe or get another Plumber.
I wish I had thought to take photos beforehand. It was only after they replaced the Drainpipe and I’d paid them that I had a closer look at the work. The Vanity was 1.5” to the Left of where it was originally, .5” further forward, and the Countertop is .5” lower at the Front.
I have asked for my money back because I believe that the Vanity being skewed from its original position caused them to Force the Drainpipe to meet the Sink which caused the Leak.

Am I wrong?


It’s not great but this photo is after they reinstalled the Vanity and before they replaced the pipes.
This work was done by a Licensed Plumber

IMG_1239.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
1st off I know very little about plumbing except for some toilet repairs and sink repairs, I could of done a better job after not getting any sleep for 2 days and showed up drunk. Looks like they wanted go get rid of some unused parts.
 
Damn, that looks like a real hack job! I'm not a plumber by trade, but do it in my own house. That might be something I'd do as a jury rig to hold until I could get the proper parts to fix it if it was the only sink, but otherwise no bueno. How did the vanity wind up so far off from its original location? Seeing stuff like this only reinforces my inclination to buy tools myself and fix my own things.

-Pat
 
Thats an awful job. I used to work for a plumbing and HVAC company. The lack of talent and doing work that is unnecessary to make more money unfortunately runs rampant. When I left they filled my position with someone with a marketing degree instead of HVAC licenses all based on sales rather than knowledge of the trades. I'm sorry this happened to you, there is not much you can do unfortunately except to complain to deaf ears.
 
How did the vanity wind up so far off from its original location?

I wasn't watching him work but the Countertop is composite stone and fairly heavy. He should have asked someone to help move it back but I don't think he could be bothered. After I complained to our Property Manager, they sent him back the next day. He shoved it a little closer to the wall it used to be against, then said
"Brother, that's as good as it gets". That's when I threw him out.
 
My Condo Building is old, early 60’s. It was originally an Apartment Building converted to Condo before Conversions were banned to save Rental Stock.
About 5 years ago the Board starting talking about replacing all the Water Pipes. It got pushed back and then the Pandemic happened.
After 2 Zoom and 1 in person Meeting where we were assured everything would be put back as it was and any potential problems would be flagged, the Property Management contracted a Company. The pipes were replaced over the last 2 weeks.
Everything went well until they were reinstalling my Bathroom Vanity. When the Team Lead inspected my Unit before the work started, no problems were flagged. When they removed my Bathroom Vanity, no problems were flagged. All of a sudden I had a leak that had “been there forever” and the attachment to drain my Washing Machine was illegal because it was an open drain. They said I could pay them to replace the Drainpipe or get another Plumber.
I wish I had thought to take photos beforehand. It was only after they replaced the Drainpipe and I’d paid them that I had a closer look at the work. The Vanity was 1.5” to the Left of where it was originally, .5” further forward, and the Countertop is .5” lower at the Front.
I have asked for my money back because I believe that the Vanity being skewed from its original position caused them to Force the Drainpipe to meet the Sink which caused the Leak.

Am I wrong?


It’s not great but this photo is after they reinstalled the Vanity and before they replaced the pipes.
This work was done by a Licensed Plumber

View attachment 2891237
Looks like jerry , jerry rigged ! I would contact the condo board have them put pressure on them to set it right ! They have the clout if the company wants to keep the condos associations business
 
They say he is a Plumber, I've asked what Accreditations he has but no response so far.

Yeah I had four guys working under me and not one of them had any licenses or citification's. The company would tell customers all their techs were licensed because they all could work off my license.
 
Looks like jerry , jerry rigged !

Jerry was the most competent guy on the Team. If he had done the work it wouldn't have turned out like that. His mom must be about my age, he told me she loved the Monkees & The Beatles.

The guy who screwed up the work was named Dennis, I think I can guess his Nickname.
 
Jerry replaced the Pipes Dennis f'd up so too late to get another plumber. I wish I had instead of paying them to fix the problem they created.

I've sent 6 emails and a lot of photos to the Board & Property Manager. They won't give me a direct email address to the Co. President.

I'm going to file a complaint with the BBB, Ministry of Consumer Affairs and if Dennis has any Certifications the Trades Association.
 
My Condo Building is old, early 60’s. It was originally an Apartment Building converted to Condo before Conversions were banned to save Rental Stock.
About 5 years ago the Board starting talking about replacing all the Water Pipes. It got pushed back and then the Pandemic happened.
After 2 Zoom and 1 in person Meeting where we were assured everything would be put back as it was and any potential problems would be flagged, the Property Management contracted a Company. The pipes were replaced over the last 2 weeks.
Everything went well until they were reinstalling my Bathroom Vanity. When the Team Lead inspected my Unit before the work started, no problems were flagged. When they removed my Bathroom Vanity, no problems were flagged. All of a sudden I had a leak that had “been there forever” and the attachment to drain my Washing Machine was illegal because it was an open drain. They said I could pay them to replace the Drainpipe or get another Plumber.
I wish I had thought to take photos beforehand. It was only after they replaced the Drainpipe and I’d paid them that I had a closer look at the work. The Vanity was 1.5” to the Left of where it was originally, .5” further forward, and the Countertop is .5” lower at the Front.
I have asked for my money back because I believe that the Vanity being skewed from its original position caused them to Force the Drainpipe to meet the Sink which caused the Leak.

Am I wrong?


It’s not great but this photo is after they reinstalled the Vanity and before they replaced the pipes.
This work was done by a Licensed Plumber

View attachment 2891237
Sketchy, If there was an old leak, There would be wood damage to the cabinets
 
Jerry was the most competent guy on the Team. If he had done the work it wouldn't have turned out like that. His mom must be about my age, he told me she loved the Monkees & The Beatles.

The guy who screwed up the work was named Dennis, I think I can guess his Nickname.
You know it might of been the plumbing team Larry ,Curly and Moe you know they did a custom job where water came out of the tv when displaying Niagara Falls!
 
Sketchy, If there was an old leak, There would be wood damage to the cabinets

They are just making "stuff" up to try to avoid responsibility. There is no evidence of there ever being a leak. I sent a photo asking them to point it out,
they have ignored the question.
 
Back
Top Bottom