• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Waterproof Connector

crackerkorean

Striving for Polymathdom!
I posted in the DIY forum with no luck so I figured I would post here.

Since the backgrounds of many AKers is varied I am sure somebody will be able to help me out.

I am building a second DIY bike light and I need a water resistant or waterproof connector. (only two pins)

I am looking for about 30v and 2 amps. And thats actually well over what I am using it for now but leaving room for the future.

I would prefer something inline unless its really small (1/4" dia)

I am using this currently
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2898

But I dont care for the coiled cord and its much larger than I need.

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
This is a lame reply, but maybe search for a nice vintage mil-spec amphenol connector on ebay? Sorry man, wish I were more helpful. Maybe check a diving board? Shows you what I know! (not much!)
 
Being a mechanic...

I would just go to the local junk yard and pull what ever I need off a car.

Dielectric grease also helps to keep water out....

Bob
 
Let me see if I can find a male/female set in my military stuff here. The have a real nice waterproof connector used on the later vehicles. I'll take a photo if I have one.
 
WeatherPak connectors -- you'll find them at the junkyard on almost any later model GM car. MSD Ignition used to sell them separately.

Dielectric grease idea is a good one, too. Available at most auto parts stores.
 
You can get fully dissasembeld weatherpak connectors through many carquest stores.

Should work perfect.
 
The battery space stuff just doenst work for me.

I am also trying to get this light looking really nice asthetically.

I looked into the weather pak connectors but you have to have a tool to properly crimp the pins from what I understand.

Mil spec stuff would work great and looks decent also.

Since I will be offering assembly service I would like to find one connector to use for builds.

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming.
 
Sorry, I should have read your post better. I didn't realize that I linked you to the same site.

Dan
 
Most small trailers use a small flat plug with 4 contacts for the trailer lights. The plugs are rubber and the posts are galvanized. There is a two wire version of those plugs that would work great for your application. They are cheap and can be had at auto parts and trailer stores. You could also probably find them online.
 
The battery space stuff just doenst work for me.

I am also trying to get this light looking really nice asthetically.

I looked into the weather pak connectors but you have to have a tool to properly crimp the pins from what I understand.

Mil spec stuff would work great and looks decent also.

Since I will be offering assembly service I would like to find one connector to use for builds.

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming.

Almost anything "good" is going to require special tools for crimping pins and or assembly of the connector.

At work, we've transitioned away from Weatherpak to Deutsch connectors. They're available with higher pin count/density for the same physical size, easier assembly, and better water resistance. Still need a special crimper for the pins though to do them properly.
 
Just a reminder, as anyone with a boat will tell you, anything designed to keep water out will also keep water in. Sometimes completely waterproof is not the way to go.
 
If it doesn't work out, let me know. I just found both halves of the mil spec ones, but they're a little bulky. And, the Military never was much on beauty when it comes to this kind of stuff.
 
Back
Top Bottom